Cummin's Dual Battery Questions

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
I am about to start my next build which will be a 2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. I have decided to go with the dual alternators thanks to the advice from portal members, and have read up on others dual battery setup which was helpful but none were on this kind of truck. My biggest weakness when it comes to working on vehicles is the electronics, but I really want to learn. For the first year the truck will be modified with a few items that don't really effect the electronics of the truck such as sliders, fuel tank, and suspension. But I will be adding a Habitat and initially will only have the LED light (9 diodes) and 12 volt system (2 single diode LED's and a USB charging port) on the Habitat from adventure trailer.

First questions in regards to the stock dual battery setup, without any mods is one battery (out of the two) a dedicated start battery from the factory? So if I run the Habitat LED's will one or both batteries die if I leave the LED's on for to long.

What mod could I do to prevent the truck from draining both batteries to the point of not starting?

Cummins = diesel. It needs both batteries for glow plugs and starting, they will be hardwired together. Dual alternators are typically used for snowplows, spreaders, or ambulances, fire trucks etc that consume a lot of electrical power while running. Adds complexity and cost, but a little redundancy if one fails (assuming the failure isn't a bearing).

chet6.7

Explorer
First questions in regards to the stock dual battery setup, without any mods is one battery (out of the two) a dedicated start battery from the factory? So if I run the Habitat LED's will one or both batteries die if I leave the LED's on for to long.

What mod could I do to prevent the truck from draining both batteries to the point of not starting?

I don't think one is a dedicated "start" battery,the grid heater needs some juice, as does the Cummins,hence the 2 batteries.I recommend looking at a dedicated house battery mounted elsewhere on the truck.Are you going to stay with the small stock tires or go with a bigger tires that may not fit in the stock spare location?I f you go with bigger tires,the space occupied by the stock spare can be used for house batteries.There is a member here that put 2 batteries in the spare tire location.It is somewhere in this thread,http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...l-2015-Ram-Cummins-turbo-diesel-37s-and-550hp

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
I am going with dual alternators for the winch,compressor, and other electrical components that will be added throughout the build. The 2017 Ram has dual batteries and all my research shows two again for the 2018. I will be going with AEV wheels and 37's for tires after the suspension is installed, so I will have to relocate the spare. Thanks for the information guys please keep it coming.

Last edited:
I am going with dual alternators for the winch,compressor, and other electrical components that will be added throughout the build. The 2017 Ram has dual batteries and all my research shows two again for the 2018. I will be going with AEV wheels and 37's for tires after the suspension is installed, so I will have to relocate the spare. Thanks for the information guys please keep it coming.

I know this is a bit off topic but where are you planning on putting your spare? I want to run a Habitat also but don't want to loose and of my bed space to a massive 37" spare.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
Until I figure out the rear swing out the tire will have to go in the bed up against the cab, I agree with you but got to build this rig in stages and the front bumper takes priority over the rear. A ram at the overland expo had the spare in the bed with goose gear cabinets/frig and still left plenty room in the bed for use.

Dalko43

Explorer
Cummins = diesel. It needs both batteries for glow plugs and starting, they will be hardwired together. Dual alternators are typically used for snowplows, spreaders, or ambulances, fire trucks etc that consume a lot of electrical power while running. Adds complexity and cost, but a little redundancy if one fails (assuming the failure isn't a bearing).

The 6.7l cummins, and the 5.9l that preceded it, don't have glow plugs but rather grid heaters.

Dual alternators are almost a no-brainer for someone intending to overland with their Ram. Between winches, lights, air compressors and random accessories, I think the extra amperage provided by duals would be warranted.

Until I figure out the rear swing out the tire will have to go in the bed up against the cab, I agree with you but got to build this rig in stages and the front bumper takes priority over the rear. A ram at the overland expo had the spare in the bed with goose gear cabinets/frig and still left plenty room in the bed for use.

I found pics of that RAM on the Habitat page. I glad to hear that there was a lot of room in there still as it is hard to see in the pictures. I am headed to the overland festival out east and I really hope they have it there so I can take a look at it. Do you have a timeline for when you are going to get your Habitat?

Back on the subject at hand, I think it would be a good idea for some house batteries in the back. My last diesel would have issues starting when it was really cold so the last thing I would want to be taking power from the batteries at night then not have enough in the morning. Also I was looking around yesterday at some of the other forums and found someone talking about their batteries in a newer Ram. There were running a fridge and a couple other things and when he was only doing short trips his batteries weren't getting a full charged so he ended up going with a couple house batteries.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
if yours does not currently have dual alternators, i would look at upgrading to an alternator that puts out more amperage. You can also get batteries that have a higher CCA rating. Cummins do indeed use grid heaters unlike powerstrokes that use glowplugs. The batteries also get drained very quickly by the starters trying to turn over 17.3:1 compression engines, in comparison to the average gasoline engine which is 8.5:1 compression ratio.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
I found pics of that RAM on the Habitat page. I glad to hear that there was a lot of room in there still as it is hard to see in the pictures. I am headed to the overland festival out east and I really hope they have it there so I can take a look at it. Do you have a timeline for when you are going to get your Habitat?

Back on the subject at hand, I think it would be a good idea for some house batteries in the back. My last diesel would have issues starting when it was really cold so the last thing I would want to be taking power from the batteries at night then not have enough in the morning. Also I was looking around yesterday at some of the other forums and found someone talking about their batteries in a newer Ram. There were running a fridge and a couple other things and when he was only doing short trips his batteries weren't getting a full charged so he ended up going with a couple house batteries.

I am currently deployed and will be back in the states in early part of the year 2018. I already placed the order for my truck with Military Auto Source since I figured I would take advantage of my overseas deployment/tax free situation. That being said I get my truck in February and have talked to Adventure Trailer to pick up Habitat in April during the families spring break. I heard that in May during the Expo they get super busy so figured I could pick it up and take it back home to set up the bed area before heading back down to the expo. To answer the other question the truck will have dual alternators from factory, and I will be installing a house batteries once I get the cabinets installed in the bed.

Side question does anybody know how goose gear bolts there cabinets to the bed and is it easy to install/remove to still be able to utilize the bed for house chores?

wirenut

Adventurer
Diesels all have 2 batteries. It's been that way since the '80s. They are BOTH starting batteries. They are in parallel. It takes 2 to start a diesel when it's cold. Any additional house loads you add will need to come from a third battery somewhere.

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
I have pretty much decide that a house battery is going to have to be installed in the bed once I add more electrical components. Would you recommend running a connection to the dual alternators for charging of the house battery?

ohanacrusader

Adventurer
So I got everything dialed in and the truck will be ordered in the next week or so depending on dealers responses since ordering via email But I still have the thought in the back of my head, am I making a mistake by going with the Megacab vs Crewcab in the Ram 2500 Diesel short bed. I listed the difference below in the way of measurements. Some reason why I original decided to go with the Megacab are my height being 6'8 I need the seat adjusted as far back as possible at all times, storage behind the seats, reclining back seats, and more storage. On our last full-size build I had a Tundra 2nd Gen Crewmax, and that fit us great being two adults and two kids (which I think my son will be just as tall as me in the near future). The difference from the Crew Max to the Ram 2500 Megacab is 20" and the turning radius for the Megacab increases 2' over Crewmax. I liked the fact when we went into bear country I could hide a shotgun behind the seat with out it being notice and still recline and adjust the seats in the crew max and hopefully in the Megacab.

Now to specs Megacab vs. Crew Cab with 6'4 bed(same as Megacab bed), the length/wheel base difference is 11.1 inches longer, 12.1 inches of storage behind back seat, and leg room in back seat is 3.3 inches longer.

Only thing I can't know before buying is how my departure angle will change and how the truck handles having that big of a wheel base. If anybody has experience or insight I am all ears.

Dave over on American adventurist could probably answer this for you. He build a mega cab diesel, it has a fwc on a flat bed but it still has the same length. I will post up on his build thread and let you know what he says.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke