1996 Land Cruiser

tennesseewj

Observer
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
230k miles on original engine & transmission

I've been using this Cruiser as my daily driver for a while but I think I'm going to go a different direction. It's a great running truck and a lot of fun, I just decided I'd prefer a truck again and I figured this site was a good audience for such an awesome Expo rig.

- Factory front/rear differential lockers
- Transfer case & differential fluids were swapped out with Amsoil this year
- Center differential lock button has already been added
- 2.5" Old Man Emu lift
- 315/75/16 BFGoodrich KM2s on stock wheels
- Binks Offroad front winch bumper
- Binks Offroad sliders
- Homemade rear bumper with swing-out for full-size spare
- Warn VR10000 winch
- Dual batteries
- Front seats have been re-covered with new leather
- Steering wheel has been re-covered

I've gone through this Cruiser and fixed quite a few of the 80 series quirks such as the washer diverter valve, window switches, and door lock actuators so that everything is functional but there are a handful of things that aren't yet 100%:

- There is some oil seepage around the front of the engine. I add 1 qt. of make-up oil about every 1500 miles.
- The tires are fine for now and definitely for off-road, but they have some cupping from a previous bad alignment. They will be due replacement sooner rather than later if you plan to DD this rig.
- There are a couple of chips in the windshield, but nothing in the line of sight.
- Driver's seat needs the power seat gears replaced
- The factory paint has all of the typical oxidation and peeling that you would expect.

$11,000 obo
6f15b377d38e494208939d506e0d272b.jpg
18eff286f97c2c16ebcb32a726d159f5.jpg
56cc2c813639a631f39d976a72a7e371.jpg
e27159067b44e5914efb6867c046d4c7.jpg
c2ccd6c81927542e5389f6afadcfae77.jpg
820ffd10214e422130d4d17f286fe0c5.jpg
2d294ba6e587ba68bc2664d0bd21443f.jpg
bc832976306d3026a0108d75b66ed7ec.jpg
25bcd050a3bd0d70f7cae3948cb28bd4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
I'd almost bet that you're gonna miss this LC after you sell it...
Oh I am sure I will! They are awesome rigs and if I was made of money I'd buy a truck and keep this 80 as a camping rig. Unfortunately my resources are finite and I have to pick and choose what makes the most sense. I'm hoping someone will give this Cruiser a good home, get it to 100%, and ride the heck out of some 4x4 trails.

tennesseewj

Observer
Bump! I would love to see this thing get a deserving home with the right ExPo member.

Last edited:

tennesseewj

Observer
Bump! I haven't worked very hard to sell this but I'm still considering it if anyone is interested. Craigslist posts are dead because I'm sick of the spammer text messages. Just shoot me a direct message!

tncamp

Any interest in trading for a Tacoma? My plan was to sale my Tacoma and purchase a 100 series but might consider an 80. My truck is currently listed on here, it is the 2009 Tacoma

tennesseewj

Observer
Any interest in trading for a Tacoma? My plan was to sale my Tacoma and purchase a 100 series but might consider an 80. My truck is currently listed on here, it is the 2009 Tacoma
Replied to your message. I do like your Tacoma but have already purchased a Tundra to replace the 80 with.

Subspd

Adventurer
Are the cats removed? Got a carfax? Any more info on maintenance done? Front BIRFS, PHH, head gasket, etc?

tennesseewj

Observer
Are the cats removed? Got a carfax? Any more info on maintenance done? Front BIRFS, PHH, head gasket, etc?
There is a single cat installed, you can probably make it out in some of the undercarriage shots being protected by the passenger side slider. There is no CEL on.

I've never run a Carfax on it, figured it was of minimal help on vehicles from the 90's. The VIN is JT3HJ85J2T0127275 if you'd like to run it.

The PO to me is local and owned it for about five years as a tertiary vehicle and I believe he bought it from a guy that intended to pull a boat with it and quickly realized these ain't tow rigs.

The only maintenance records I have are my own work:

Diff & transfer case fluids
Washer diverter valve
Fan clutch
Belts
Intake boot
Power window switch
A/C compressor, condenser, expansion valve, drier, and o-ring
Distributor cap
Door speakers front/rear

I used OEM parts with the exception of the fluids (Amsoil) and window switch (Dorman) and speakers (Pioneer).

I have no records of the HG or PHH being done. The truck does have a Scangauge installed and I've watched the temps closely and monitored for coolant loss with no signs of problems.

Likewise with the front axle service - it's on my list of PM to take care of but they aren't making any racket to make me think it's a rush. I locked the diffs and did figure 8's on a gravel lot when I test drove the rig to make sure the birfs were in good shape.

JY VPI

Hey TN, Blacksburg (VA) here. Keeping an eye on this one as I’m in the market for an 80 series. Not the exact match for what I was looking for but close. Glad to know there’s something closeish by—so many in AZ and CA! I just started my search so I’ll be checking in from time to time.

tennesseewj

Observer
Hey TN, Blacksburg (VA) here. Keeping an eye on this one as I’m in the market for an 80 series. Not the exact match for what I was looking for but close. Glad to know there’s something closeish by—so many in AZ and CA! I just started my search so I’ll be checking in from time to time.
Sounds good! There are quite a few running around the Knoxville area. What were you hunting for?

JY VPI

Basically what you have + what you describe as 100% mechanically and better paint condition. I'm just being really picky since I have a lot of time to look.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne