Looking at 3rd gen 4runners

tlrols

Love the 3rd Gen but think about the 4th too

I love my 3rd Gen 4Runner, but... If you aren't totally set on the 3rd Gen give the 4th Gen a look. The 3rd gen is agile and frankly the best looking 4Runner out there IMO, but the 3.4 liter engine is lacking a bit in power if you load the rig or tow with it. I tow a trailer that comes in at 2300 pounds, fine on the flats, but pretty gutless in the hills and mountains. There is a reason that Toyota moved from the 2.2, 3.0, 3.4, and 4.0 liter motors (with the final stop to a V8) plus supercharger options. A V8 4th Gen is an excellent rig and you can make it look respectable with a lift and bumper replacements. They do cost more. Consider your use of the rig and if you want the 3rd Gen then think about repowering (likely the motor has high mileage at this point) and maybe going with a supercharger.

If you have $20K lying about you could make it into a diesel with the front clip of a Surf from Japan. I would love to find someone who did that and see what they think about the performance. A supercharger is cheaper but going with a diesel is a possibility.

Having said all of the above the folks who commented are right on. Buy a 3rd gen and you will be pretty satisfied. I would literally replace the radiator (if an automatic) and the Lower Ball Joints immediately. Both are remarkably easy to do, the radiator especially so (and the radiator is inexpensive compared to a destroyed transmission).

One thing I would recommend is a 5 gallon fuel can, or maybe two. The 3rd Gen has a ridiculously small fuel tank at 15 gallons. I use 2 or 3 military fuel cans (nice but expensive) to make traveling off road less stressful. If you are in 4wd and crawling around expect milage in the low teens and even single digits if mountains are involved. It is a bit spooky to see your fuel at less than 1/2 a tank since you last gassed up. Luckily for me my ride back was all down hill :smiley_drive:

Good luck and let us know what you got.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94