Looking at 3rd gen 4runners

greenknight

Hi everybody
I normally stick to the jeep section of the site but with a college student budget, Im not afraid to look elsewhere, because the Jeep tax in Ohio is nuts.

Anyway, I've been looking at 3rd gen T4r's since the price and the reliability is amazing, even for a rust free model in Ohio.
Besides body rust and the pink smoothie issues with the automatics, and timing belt and water pump replacement. Is there anything I should really be looking for?

Thanks for the help everybody and have a great day

:bowdown:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Meh, Jeeps are overrated. :ylsmoke:

I'm sure it's what you meant, but body rust is usually of little concern, I think you mean frame rust. The body can look immaculate and the frame be rotting out from under them, always go under the truck and look you can't tell by looking at the outside.

Lower ball joints are something to replace soon as practical, not really something you can easily check when casually looking for one. Just plan on doing it as part of preventative maintenance, when the lower ball joint goes the wheel falls off, so better to replace them (with OEM) before they go bad. I need to do mine soon.

I let the general reputation of them get to me and ended up buying one, and haven't been disappointed. So far it's been a solid truck (knock on wood). I bought one with 240k on it, minimal maintenance from the PO other than oil changes and fixing what needed fixing. I fixed some minor stuff it needed to be road worthy after a period of some neglect, and I fully admit I'm procrastinating on doing many more things I know it needs as far as maintenance, but so far it's run like a top and I'm racking up the miles on it like crazy as my general run around vehicle.

Good luck on your search.

MCObray

Explorer
Hi everybody
I normally stick to the jeep section of the site but with a college student budget, Im not afraid to look elsewhere, because the Jeep tax in Ohio is nuts.

Anyway, I've been looking at 3rd gen T4r's since the price and the reliability is amazing, even for a rust free model in Ohio.
Besides body rust and the pink smoothie issues with the automatics, and timing belt and water pump replacement. Is there anything I should really be looking for?

The only other real main cause for concern IMO would be the Lower Ball Joints. Outside from that, turn the key over and drive it to the wheels fall off... I had a few '99-'00 3rd Gen 4Runners and they were awesome. I always went for the limited model that had push button 4WD as well as the Rear E-Locker. Best of luck on your search!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Great trucks. Fully boxed frame unlike the Tacoma. Built in Japan etc etc. I'm sure you know this.
Replace the balljoints and the other items you mentioned. If you can find a manual transmission go for it. I avoid the limited's and sports with All Wheel Drive and push button 4wd because the electric motor occasionally breaks and it's expensive. The good old 2wd/4wd doesn't break. A buddy and I have taken ours to well over 200k miles with no issues. He just did his valves for the first time and only 1 needed shims. It's a remarkable little truck! Here is my old truck:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/4602-2001-4x4-4runner-build-At-Molasses-pace
IMG_2370.jpg

Hi everybody

greenknight

:) whenever I actually ask a question on this website I always get helpful answers.

Yeah I meant frame rust and ball joints
got it

Ive been looking for manuals

Anyway, thanks for the help guys
:wavey:

Mgyver1

Observer
Also I would stick with a '99 or '00. The '01 & '02 have a traction control system which complicates things along with a much more expensive brake booster that WILL go out at some point. While the booster will also go out on a '00 and below, the booster is much simpler & cheaper. Also the charcoal filter on the '01/'02 is in a weird place under the truck. I don't think you need to steer away from the Limiteds with the multimode transfer case. It's nice to be able to go in "AWD" when it's raining or just every once & awhile to keep everything moving without hurting anything in the 4WD system. '00 and below you can find one with a rear locking diff which also means you get 4.30 gears instead of 4.10's. And yes to everything everyone else said, make sure it has no frame rust, be sure to replace the lower ball joints with OEM LBJ's and either replace the radiator or bypass it with a large external tranny cooler to avoid the pink milkshake. They're great trucks, you'll love it!

thezentree

pretend redneck
I bought a 2001 SR5 in April and have done the timing belt/water pump, lower ball joints, and installed a 3" lift, upper control arms, and 285/75R16 KO2s. Right now it's on jackstands waiting on a new driveshaft from Tom Woods because it's got a really bad vibration at highway speed that I think is the cardan in the OEM driveshaft going bad.

It's a great little truck. I was averaging about 19mpg before the lift (don't yet know what mileage is now) and it has been easy to work on. I can't wait to get it out in the woods.

If you end up going the 3rd gen route, t4r.org is a great resource. Look for mtbtim's DIY videos if you need to fix or upgrade something.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't necessarily stay away from the 01 and 02's. There is a mod that allows you to disable Trac control. You can find that on yotatech or toyota-4runner.org

The limited do have an issue with the autoclimate control going funky. You can either send it offor be repaired which is a crap shoot or just pony up the dough and buy a new one.

I miss my 02 Limited.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Can hardly go wrong with a 3rd gen. Had our 97 for 15 years now. Sonoran Steel 1.2 lift, 285/75s on stock wheels. Recent ball joints, couple of timing belts and water pumps. Have a 4th gen as well, but we travel and trail ride in the 3rd. Good luck. Check the frame for rust, and, I don't think anyone has mentioned the rear axle seals. Not a hard repair unless someone has jacked up the retainer and put it in the wrong place on the axle. Look for gear oil on the rear brake backing plates.

Loubaru

Adventurer
We had one and I liked it a lot it was just too small and I really needed a truck. Not much to go wrong other than the lower ball joints as others have said (use OEM parts when replacing, don't want to skimp here). Build quality is awesome, great off road, ride fairly nice for a body on frame vehicle, etc.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
No v8 in 3rd gen

There's a couple out there...

OP Read this again if you haven't already: http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...ww.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html

You can get some great deals on them but definitely knock out the more obvious stuff first like LBJs, Timing Belt. GO OEM ON THE LBJS!! Too many horror stories out there on non-oem brands. In the end it's all in what you want to do with it but a stock 3rd Gen can get done just about everything you'll need. Plenty of write-ups out there on t4r.org and here. Excited for you and good luck on the purchase!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
There's a couple out there...

OP Read this again if you haven't already: http://redirect.viglink.com/?format...ww.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ers-guide.html

You can get some great deals on them but definitely knock out the more obvious stuff first like LBJs, Timing Belt. GO OEM ON THE LBJS!! Too many horror stories out there on non-oem brands. In the end it's all in what you want to do with it but a stock 3rd Gen can get done just about everything you'll need. Plenty of write-ups out there on t4r.org and here. Excited for you and good luck on the purchase!

Not stock it didn't.

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高

You can always bypass the milkshake if you go with a stickshift. Otherwise do like most everyone else does and install a transmission cooler, bypassing the radiator (what i opted for). B&M seems standard but I forget the model number. Buy a southern truck and keep it clean through the winters. My previous 98 originated in Ohio and I can't tell you how much fun it was trying to clean it up but I've seen much worse. Don't let miles scare you either; plenty of good deals to be had on high mileage 3rd gens; do your due diligence of course. If I were buying again I'd prefer an 01-02 Sport Edition SR5. Good luck on your purchase and I'll keep an eye out for it.

Not stock it didn't.
You got me there...:peepwall:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior