SX4 Trail Ready Paragliding Expedition Vehicle

josh_sx4

Observer
Josh, I really like your SX4. I especially like the Jeep wheels and "Trail Rated" badge. Many Jeeps with that badge will see less trail time than you already have in this thread.

I have serious question. You bought this car specifically so you'd get a manual transmission. How do you drive this on the trail without low range? Being a lifetime manual transmission Jeep owner, I've spent a lot of time on the trail in low range, with my foot off the clutch driving with the throttle and brake. Most manual transmission cars do not have enough reduction in 1st to go slow enough to avoid damage and enough engine speed to not stall. An automatic is different, since you can two-foot without stalling, using the brakes to keep the speed down and the convertor slippage to keep the engine speed up (makes a lot of heat, but oh well).

What is your strategy in this car? Are you ever wishing that you had the automatic when you are on the trail?

I've wondered about this with respect the the Subarus, and the new Jeep Renegade. With the Ren, the TrailHawk version gives you maybe 20:1 reduction and an automatic, but I don't know how dragging the brakes will mess up the traction control. These systems typically look for the slipping wheel and apply braking to direct power to the opposite wheel. Maybe the Suzuki has this issue too...

This is my 3rd sx4, the first one was a manual and the second one was an automatic. All three of my Sx4's have been lifted. The automatic actually limited my ability and would stall too much, even two-footing it. I took the lift off the automatic and gave that car to my wife. My 3rd SX4 is a manual. I found that with a manual I have a little more flexibility in manipulating the gears. Also, my situation is unique, I only go on 4-5 trails. I built this little rig to get me to my favorite paragliding launch sites. All of these trails require 4x4, but do not need 4lo capability. With that said, I have had 11 jeeps in my life. I loved the 4lo and crawling with a Jeep. Those jeeps could do many things my sx4 can not.

My strategy was good gas mileage and average offroad ability. If you need a vehicle with 4lo or crawling capability, do not get a SX4.

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 9

Slotted rotors and sway bar links

To help with stopping performance on these oversized tires. I bought slotted and drilled rotors.

I got tired of the the weak SX4 OEM sway bar links failing so often. The OEM sway bar links little ball joints just couldn't handle the offroad abuse. I've had bent one set and my last set ball joint failed after only having them for two weeks. So I decided to upgrade to 05-10 mustang sway bar links.

While I was in there I also replaced the Sway bar bushings with RICOCHET Polyurethane Bushings. I would recommend replacing these while doing this project. With the sway bar unbolted, you can drill out the sway bar ends easier.

Mustang Link vs OEM SX4 Link

Cut off threads so that the lower control arm doesn't hit the lower sway bar bolt. These mustang bolts are way long! I cut off 7 threads on both ends. Cutting off 7 threads gives you the same length bolt as OEM SX4 bolts.

Drill out the SX4 mounting holes to 1/2in and install the new mustang sway bar links

Trim the ABS bracket. Because these sway bar links are larger and the head sticks out more, I trimmed the tab closest to the strut. While in full droop I had my wife turn the wheel back and forth and the link made contact with the ABS mounting bracket. So I trimmed one tab off the ABS bracket.

Zip tie the abs wire out of the way, you don't want it rubbing on the tire.

Installation complete! Now time to drive my sx4 around the block and notice the better steering and cornering response. :)

Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 10

Jeepish Wind Fairing

The roof bars were whistling. To keep with my Jeepish styling, I used a plastic bumper plate from a newer jeep wrangler. I think its style is offroady-ish and it turned out better than I thought. I switched my other rhino rack fairing over to my wifes car, so I needed a new one.

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 11

Wasatch Mountain High Adventure

Did a little offroading this weekend in the Wasatch mountains. I love this little pig. It did great offroad and we got a lot of looks from jeepers and razors. Some of the roads had very steep dropoffs on the sides. My wife was yelling at me a bit. After I let her drive, then the yelling stopped and she actually had fun driving down the roads and navigating small ruts and obstacles. I asked if she was having fun driving, she wouldn't admit it.. she just smiled back.

Paddy

Adventurer
Nice. Haven’t seen a pod and a bolero flying together before! I love my pod but I just use it for comfort. Skywalk makes some nice wings I have a little baby one.

D934065C-73B1-476C-A047-3EE1EC7DC750.jpg

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 12

Oversized Spare Tire

I wanted to give some detail for an oversized donut spare.

I actually bought a matching spare and 15x7 jeep rim for a swing out tire carrier, but I have recently decided against it. While a swing out tire carrier would look cool, I am constantly opening and closing the back hatch loading paragliding gear and it would be more of an inconvenience than help. It is just too much work when my donut spare is going to work just fine.

So here are some details for the oversized donut spare. I am using the stock SX4 donut rim with a T155/90D16.

This is the donut next to my 215/75R15 Tire

It fits, but you have to trim off the tire jack mount. You will need to removed the 4 gray pads under the wood deck for it to sit lower.

Trimmed and repainted the mount area. I used some apoxy to cover over some of the areas that I ground down to far. Then painted it with some silver paint.

The deck will still sit 3/4 of an inch higher than normal, but I will be building a new stronger deck soon anyways.

Instead of using the stock jack I wanted something a little taller, so I bought a taller jeep tire jack at the junk yard then wrapped it in some gray carpet and put it under the passenger seat for now.

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 13

An offroad-worthy receiver hitch

Here is my modified draw-tite "offroad" hitch. My welder doesn't get penetration sufficient for a tow hitch, so I tack welded it in place. I just had my neighbor help me weld it on Saturday, he has a welder that that can put out the amps needed.

It has shorter receiver (Thanks to a chopped harbor freight hitch adapter) and has the integrated tow ring. If you've seen the normal Draw-tite or curt hitch for the SX4, you will know that normally these things stick out obnoxiously much longer.

Last edited:

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 14

Rear Skid Plate installed

So I've been doing some maintenance stuff and it delayed a couple of my next additions. I changed the gear oil in the front and back with some 80w-90 and also MT-90 in the tranny. 3 months ago I bought the chinese front suspension kit from ebay... that was a mistake. The sway bar links gave out after 1 month and the inner tie rod rattled after 3 months. The outer tie rods seemed ok, but the boots were already splitting.. I already upgraded to mustang sway bar links and now have just installed some solid moog inner and outer tie rods. I got the alignment done for free because it was within the first 3 months of the last alignment. The SX4 is running solid now.

Now for some fun stuff. I finally got the Rear Skid Plate installed. This is a skid plate that a clubsx4 member made. I bought it used a month or so ago and gave it a new coat of paint.

josh_sx4

Observer
Day 15

Custom Cargo Basket

I recently bought a used cargo basket for $30 and hacked it up :)
Then I re-welded it to a little different configuration that gives me a good departure and and snugs it up closer to my bumper. This cargo basket has already come in handy carrying branches to the dump. Its main use will be for two paraglider bags. My car seats 4 men/pilots. Now two paragliders will go in the hatch area and two will go in the cargo basket. A fun way to haul a little more cargo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles