GPS Help

NomadsUS

With some up coming trips. I really need to start looking into getting a GPS system for my jeep. I would love to run this from my iPad and I have seen some people on youtube doing this. I am wondering if anybody can send me in the right direction. Looking to see if One, this is can be done? Two, if so what software and devise do I need?

Miaz Tank

Not a fan of the iPad idea in a Jeep....a dedicated GPS I would look into the Garmin Montana, Rino, or 276 cx that's just me and what I run.

Umbrarian

Observer
With some up coming trips. I really need to start looking into getting a GPS system for my jeep. I would love to run this from my iPad and I have seen some people on youtube doing this. I am wondering if anybody can send me in the right direction. Looking to see if One, this is can be done? Two, if so what software and devise do I need?

I use an iPad with Motion-X GPS HD. It is dedicated to off-road, no other apps. I find it superior to GPS ubit. With dedicated GPS units, you are stuck with their choice of apps and maps. With iPad, I have one source for all off-road needs - GPS, Maps, Repeater directory, etc.

If you want to use iPad, you need to get a version with data plan. The WiFi only versions do not have GPS hardware (see Apple.com tech specs). You do not need to get a data plan, you just need the iPad version for one.

ivers

Observer
I have a Ram Mount with a Samsung tablet, I find it easier to use and operate in the file. and way cheaper for a gps tablette.

You can go on my page to find picture of my setup.

For software;

- I use OSM+ Mainly because I can map everything missing when I get back home and its easy to share.
-Gaia easy to use but depending of where you are it might not be accurate, you just need to DL the portion you need.
-Avenza, I am starting this one because there is some map on there with so much usefull information but it takes a lot of space.

And finaly I always have a paper copy and my garmin.

malibubts

Adventurer
I'll toss out another software solution, Gaia GPS. They have apps for both Android and iOS, you can also use their website which is extremely handy for planning out routes. Has offline maps that you can download to the device, you specify the area and the detail. They also have a number of layers that are really handy; Gaia Topo, USFS 2016 (CalTopo), USFS, Satalite, etc.

But I agree on using a tablet or a phone as a GPS device. Puts more functionality into the package with all of the other things you can load onto them like campground maps, trail maps, etc.

malibubts

Adventurer
I'll toss out another software solution, Gaia GPS. They have apps for both Android and iOS, you can also use their website which is extremely handy for planning out routes. Has offline maps that you can download to the device, you specify the area and the detail. They also have a number of layers that are really handy; Gaia Topo, USFS 2016 (CalTopo), USFS, Satalite, etc.

But I agree on using a tablet or a phone as a GPS device. Puts more functionality into the package with all of the other things you can load onto them like campground maps, trail maps, etc.

For mounts, I have my radio and my phone that I use for GPS riding in a ProClip system that attaches to the dash. I'm really happy with that setup.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think my only concern in a Jeep would be having space, theft or exposure to the elements. I don't see much benefit to spending money on a dedicated GPS for a vehicle anymore (although I do still like and use handhelds for other things).

FWIW, you can use a WiFi iPad but you have to get a GPS puck of some sort, either one that works on Bluetooth or plugs into the external port.

NomadsUS

First thanks for everyones help and advise so far. In my research, I have seen some I guess you would call them devices that bluetooth to lets say the iPad. Those devices themselves are GPS's. So from that I have read (and I might be completely wrong) is that the GPS's will connect to your iPad and use whatever software or map app you want to run. Once again, I could be completely wrong.

Also I do live in North New Jersey, so everything I put in my jeep comes out when I am not off-roading. This is why I am leaning more towards and iPad for GPS and mapping. I even have a CB that I completely take out when not off-roading/overlanding.

larock1971

I have an iPad too that I've thought about mounting in the JK for navigation, but I kind of feel it will take up too much space when coupled with a proper RAM mount.

I've settled on using my iPhone 6s with a Pro Clip USA mount, which puts it in the perfect spot for me right above the radio.

I bounce between MotionX GPS, Gaia GPS, and Maplets.

I also have a stand Garmin Nuvii mounted to the lower left corner of the windshield for on-road duty.

Dexter612

I am running an iPad with internal gps, but no data plan. Gaia GPS is the best software I have used to date. It has worked well for me in my Jeep with a Ram mount. I also use it for land Nav when I am hiking. Just make sure you download the maps for where you will be. It's on my phone too for back up in case I damage the iPad.

NomadsUS

So the only thing I have really found that works is this.

Dual Electronics XGPS150A Multipurpose Universal Bluetooth.

MotionX GPS HD

These two, from what I have read and seen work seamlessly together. So from what I understand is that if you have and iPad, you won't need wifi or data because the XGPS connect to the iPad via bluetooth. wondering if anyone else and see this or hear about it.

ratled

Adventurer

MotionX GPS HD

These two, from what I have read and seen work seamlessly together. So from what I understand is that if you have and iPad, you won't need wifi or data because the XGPS connect to the iPad via bluetooth. wondering if anyone else and see this or hear about it.

Have it and it works. Just need a viable and simple to use software platform. It shouldn't be that hard these days

ratled

xbombtek

Observer
I run this systems. It works great.

iPad mini wifi
Dual external Bluetooth gps
MotionX or other software of your choice
Find a way to mount it in your ride.

It's compact (enough) highly visible, highly utilitarian, and very removable.

My only complaint is power cords in my way more often than I'd prefer, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Umbrarian

Observer

MotionX GPS HD

I have this setup on ipad3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94