2016 Tundra, coming along, but I have questions

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
OME usually offers several options for medium or heavy duty depending on need and are typically progressive rate. And BTW, you would have received much more Toyota-specific replies had you posted in the Toyota section of the forum.

rruff

Explorer
The TRD shocks are just Bilstein 4600s unless you are looking at the TRD Pros. I would not use the Pros on a loaded truck as the front struts have 600 lb springs and will not support extra weight well.

OMEs are a good choice. They make kits for Tundras that are ~$800 for 4 shocks and front coils (3 options (lengths) for different front loads and height). Rear springs are ~$500. If you'd like to be an early adopter Ironman 4x4 stuff looks interesting: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...mcell-struts-shocks-springs-bushings-etc.html

Ironman and OME both use 740 lb coils for the Tundra.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I had the Ironman kit on my old Xterra and had no real issues. I was looking for a budget minded setup at the time, and by luck bought the last kit from the dealer in Calgary (the feeling I got was that they were closing up shop....not 100% sure though) for a price I could not resist.
The rear leaf packs were easily as stout and beefy as the OME Dakar packs I have in the Tundra. I had the HD coilovers on the front of the Xterra to deal with the added weight of the bumper and winch, and while the ride was very firm I never had any issues. The Ironman shocks did start to show some signs or a little rust here and there, but nothing out of the norm. The rear leaf packs on my old Xterra chirped and complained for a while (though I think it may have been due to a crimped bushing sleeve) and they defiantly started to show signs of external surface rust, but they never sagged under load or failed to do their job.

The Ironman setup I had was certainly a no frills basic non-adjustment type setup (similar to the OME I imagine). I went a little different route on the Tundra build as I had some extra $$$ to budget. Time will tell if I made the correct choice in choosing the ADS Racing fully adjustable shocks.

rruff

Explorer
The Ironman setup I had was certainly a no frills basic non-adjustment type setup (similar to the OME I imagine). I went a little different route on the Tundra build as I had some extra $$$ to budget. Time will tell if I made the correct choice in choosing the ADS Racing fully adjustable shocks.

ADS are deluxe! Let us know what your experiences are with those.

If anyone is interested, check the link I posted above regarding Ironman. They make a the Pro shocks for Tundra also, which are rebuildable and have preload adjustment collars. Same foamcell design as the basic models, but are a little larger. Quite a bit cheaper than King, Fox, and ADS.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
Pulled the trigger today. I've got Fox 2.5 Factory reservoir coil overs for the front and TC UCA's. I'm currently running bags and the Revtek block in the rear, so I've ordered Fox 2.0 rear shocks and will likely switch to custom springs next spring when I save more pesos. With the load I've got on this truck I doubt super expensive shocks are going to help much in the rear with stiff springs or the bags.

For now it should work much better than stock. Reviews to come once installed and tested.

rruff

Explorer
With a load wouldn't you want 2.5s and reservoirs in the rear also? I honestly don't know, but it seems like you want similar shocks front and rear.

ROKDKTR

Geo-Explorer
With a load wouldn't you want 2.5s and reservoirs in the rear also? I honestly don't know, but it seems like you want similar shocks front and rear.

Maybe not, matching shocks doesn't matter as much as valving does. I'll give it a chance and see. I may upgrade them if or when I add springs, but the extra $1200 for rear 2.5's right now wasn't happening. I have too many other hobbies requiring funds. Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles