New version of BackCountry Navigator for Android and iOS on Kickstarter

PHXtaco

Adventurer
For those using or considering BackCountry Navigator, they started a kickstarter campaign for a new version. I have been using BackCountry for years on my phone, but use National Geographic Topo (no longer supported) on the laptop in my truck. The new version of BackCountry will allow web based planning, which has been something I wanted for a long time and one of the reasons I keep using NatGeo topo on my laptop. The other big complaint about BackCountry Navigator was the interface is clunky and it does have a learning curve, this is supposed to be improved in the new version, and it will also be available for iOS systems (previously Android only). As to map sources, there are many available, but for the US, I like to use Cal Topo which is essentially the old USGS maps which I grew up with, but the Accuterra Maps are the cleaner newer style topo maps that also show land ownership. By using Accuterra combined with the USFS Motor Vehicle Use Map overlay, it keeps me out of trouble (or I use Cal Topo if I do not want to know :sombrero: ). As with Kickstarter projects, if you join now you will save money buying now. I am not an employee, and do not have a financial interest in the company, just a long time user that wants to support them and thought I would alert my fellow overlanders to this opportunity. https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ator-xe-outdoor-gps-on-ios-and-an/description

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Yep, similar to Gaia. I have not used Gaia enough to say whether it is better or worse, this is just another option.

jbumx2

Observer
I use BackCountry Navigator as well. A useful tool for planning trips, but definitely a bit clunky using the interface. Lately I've been using the newer USFS Topo maps. Very clean and easy to read on my small device. I tried the CalTopo maps but I don't like the rendering lag when the map is resized or moved around.

Can I ask where you download USFS MVUM maps?

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Can I ask where you download USFS MVUM maps?

It is an add on layer that costs $15 or so. It will be included in the new version on the premium level. Click the 3 lines for the menu button in the upper left. Then scroll down to purchase addon.

To get MVUM after you purchase on the current BCN, click on the Map Layers icon in the upper right-ish corner. Then scroll down to "Add-on overlays" Here you can turn them on and off.

Stomper4x4

Yeah I get the rendering lag a bit too, but aside from that it's a great product. I hope he gets more subscribers so it stays around for a long time. I prefer it to Gaia in some ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles