Note - there is always rust under there...

vectorsc

Adventurer
Just plan on it when the windshield guy comes....

7f67c37d4dcba616197b1979fd12df7c.jpg
80218f9234a401af1320d5495625d7ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBride

Adventurer
Yikes! What year is that? Did you put on a new seal.

I've heard of a MB factory suggestion of using some sort of sealant under the rubber...saw it somewhere on P3 or ClubG - probably on both.

otiswesty

Regular guy
That rust is pretty superficial. It will clean up easily and good prep and paint will eliminate it forever. You can see remnants of the sealant in the groove, the sealant is only meant to keep moisture from entering the driving compartment. This aspect is particularly important for the electronically sensitive later 463s. The problem with the design of the windshield lip and seal is that moisture is trapped under the seal. When I pulled the glass on my G320, we media blasted and primed and repainted the metal. there was signs of a prior repair, but all the metal was very solid.

I reinstalled with a butyl rubber sealant (3M 08509) designed to keep the driver compartment dry. Once the glass was fully installed and dry cured 4 weeks this summer, I injected Sikkaflex 220+ all around the glass to rubber seal and seal to metal frame. My primary goal is to keep moisture out of the under gasket area and obliterate that space as much as possible. It is worthwhile to replace your windshield every so often due to pitting and visual distortion. I am not particularly good about that as it is just one more thing. However, when I do my glass, I try to preserve the longevity of this area as it seems to be a failure point for almost every model of vintage steel bodied vehicle.

vectorsc

Adventurer
It did clean up very well and was easy to paint. There was no rust pitting yet, just surface rust. I used zinc galvanize on the metal to hopefully hold off the rust demon for a bit longer.

This one too had a previous repair, and its a year 2004 model.

Side question - when you say visual distortion do you happen to mean failure of the lamination? My Pilkington glass that came out had white milky edges from delamination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles