2005 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer.. trying to convert to a Micro RV.

questorfla

It is pretty much all there from the start. But even with the Explorer package, at 2005 and with 67K miles on it, there are a lot of things that I want to 'modernize' and a few things that were never meant to be in something this small.
So, this is a 'project' of sorts and i can only hope i picked a good vehicle to start from. Before I get started on the "toys", i would appreciate any advice of the basic power-train and suspension. I probably need to get new tires for the rear and would like to be able to get a little more height than what it currently has. The van probably has the original factory shocks that i would like to replace and if anyone has done this to something similar, what brand would be best to look at? If i can manage to fit everything i want into the van, I would guess that the weight load would be similar to 6 adult passengers, though there will only be two people, myself and my wife.

I think i will need to pull out the electric recliners in order to save weight and build in a normal bed support frame with storage underneath for clothes and etc. Removing the other two passenger seats from the center and allowing the two front seats to be able to make a 360 degree swivel would get the most use of the space. (just my thoughts and not sure it an even be done like that)
I have to find a place to mount a small generator, an extra battery pack, a small fridge and microwave, and lastly an electric A/C. (Couldn't stand sleeping in there at night without one.)
I have some ideas about the solution for the A/C and will post them as soon as i am sure I am not completely Nuts :Wow1:

Next (and Very Important) is I want to switch to ALL LED lighting everywhere, including the headlights and such. Any advice along those lines would be appreciated. I can find a hundred different ones on AMAZON but have NO idea which one wil work and which would be nt even as good as the standard factory lights. Same for the interior. i tried replacing a few of those small swivel lights in the ceiling with LED's but still got nothing close to what I need to be comfortable trying to do anything inside at night. I would rather pump 1500 lumens into the interior via LED and use black-out shades so i don't look like a UFO in the dark. :wings:

Since this is an older model, it has no on board GPS or satellite radio. I am currently looking at a Pioneer Head with connections for backup camera GPS and the works. The TV in this vehicle was sort of 'dead" and i found a nice Samsung 24" that appears to be the right fit (will know for sure tomorrow)

One nuisance right now is that i cant get the OEM clickers to work on the door locks. Hoping that is a fuse. Maybe I will get lucky and find the dead TV is also a fuse but i dont think so.
OK, Pretty long for a first post. I hope someone has time to read this and offer some suggestions.

bdog1

Adventurer
Used "trucklites" on my last van. Very pleased with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdog1

Adventurer
All the lock actuators arn't going to quit at once. Good chance of a fuse, switch ect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

questorfla

Destin :)

Where in FL?

Florida's Beautiful Emerald Coast

PS what is tap-a-talk on an I-phone?
By the way, thanks to all for the help on the other items.

It turned out that while the TV WAS a blown fuse. Unfortunately, the TV itself was also trashed. On the good side, my local Best Buy had a GREAT installer who was able to replace it with a Samsung Smart TV 32" HDTV (full 1080P) and done in such a way as to look every bit as good as the original and fit like a glove. He was even able to tie all the sound into the original Explorer Conversion package home audio system. I am almost glad the first one was dead now. :)

The door opener problems were probably that they dealer just threw in some he had laying around and no one had ever matched them to the vehicle. I was able to program one of them but for some reason can't get the other to work, Could be it is actually a bad unit but now that i know how easy it is, i can probably find one or more laying around the house from old GM vehicles we have owned and just reprogram it.

I am now looking at ways to add a generator with enough power to run the rest of the items I want and to have it mounted in such a way as to be useful without being a nuisance. My current thoughts are to use a hitch/carrier platform similar to what is used to carry bikes on the back of an RV. If it works, i could even add a second shelf so that I COULD load a couple of bikes above it as well and still be well below the top of the van.

I figure if done in this manner, it would be easy enough to disconnect the carrier (Generator and al) when not needed. It would also give me a way to ad some baffling to reduce the motor noise when running and keep any chance of fumes etc outside the vehicle. Any comments on this configuration would be appreciated.

Last edited:

questorfla

Thanks Cornelius! That link will be a Life saver!! There are many things in just the first page that i'm going to need, the bed frame itself will be worth the read. :)
I have discovered that I wasn't as smart as i thought on programming the clickers. I guess one of the clickers always worked and the other didn't My daughter pulled up some info that says on that model they were not re-programmable. I am triple checking.

I found a post on another forum that shows a great install of a window unit AC in one of the back doors of the van. It looks like a 'permanent mod, which I would rather not do unless no other choice. But I have found that roof top AC is going to be a lot more expensive unless i can find a good used one. Even then, I would have to swap it out for the current electric sunroof. I doubt the holes that were cut for the sunroof will match what is needed for the roof a/c. And the logic of using a cheap window unit is hard to beat. And I have been told they can be powered with a small 2 KW inverter/generator. Any info on that would be appreciated. If i could replace one of the rear door Windows with a complete built to fit framework that would not permanently mess up the door, that would be super.
If not, i might look to a junkyard for a complete door and save the original.

Last edited:

questorfla

That was a LOT of super great info and I almost lost the link to it. I had posted in so many forums that i forgot where i found you :(.
I wish I was even half as good as you at building things and will probably have to pass along the notes to someone who as more skill that i have to get al this to happen.
On my van, i have the High-top conversion which as you know is fiberglass. I am not sure it will support the weight of even the mach 8 cub .. what would be your guess on that? I am currently leaning more toward a window unit AC on a framework that replaces the rear window drivers side rear door, I will try to attach a photo of it.
What did you do for a generator for the AC or is yours 12VDC? My thoughts are to use a "swing bar" with a storage tray. I will also try to attach image of that as well. The swing-away would allow me to still have access through the back doors when it is swung out from the van.
But i am going to have to seriously lift the rear of it as the ground clearance is too low. I probably need to go up about 6" I would guess and i wondered how much rise you got from the kit you installed?
The generator i chose was Champion Power Equipment 75537i 3100 Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Wireless Remote Start. They had a duel fuel model that also runs on propane for about $300 more but i did not have all the electric remote start etc which might come in handy. (or not.. only need the electric start .. the remote option would only save going outside in bad weather but.. already got the thing now ..) and for an Aux battery I chose 12V 100AH BATTERY from Mighty Max Battery.
If i can get the generator and battery installed on the cargo tray mounted to the swing-hitch, with the windows unit A/C directly above it, that would put all of my 120V power needs all in one place. Replaced all the interior lighting with LED's. Headlights as well.

Thanks for any added info you can throw my way. Your van is almost identical in the interior layout to the 2005 savana conversion i am working with.

Mike

Sweet, a explorer chevy conversion van, now I'm not the only here with one.

I've seen them put generators in the spare tire location and then relocate the spare......not really a fan of that approach because the exhaust fumes have the potential to rise up into the cabin. I would put a generator on a cargo hitch carrier like you mentioned with plenty of extra cable so you can move it somewhere down wind or in a quitter location. Curt makes a front bumper trailer hitch for these and it will fit even with the bumper cover with some slight trimming. Here is a pic of mine. Comes with tow hooks on each side as well, can't see them in this pic tho. I bought it just to have the front tow hooks, but haven't needed them yet.

For AC I was going for a portable/temporary setup with something like a climateright unit blowing into the cabin thru the side windows or maybe a unit that stands inside and vents the heat outside thru the windows. Not sure what your windows are like, but I have three with fairly large rectangle ports on the bottom. I have family of 5 so we sleep in tents and a portable unit could be used for the tent as well.

Attachments

• Van.JPG
    Van.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

questorfla

I would not waste time on the portable. I tried an 8000 BTU and was thoroughly disappointed. They are extremely inefficient when you consider that they are pulling some of your Cool inside air to blow across the condenser then outside (on the single tube models). This ends up pulling in outside air through various cracks to fill the vacuum The dual tube are somewhat better but all of them use up a huge amount of inside space which for me is at a premium

I would advise doing what I am trying to do which is mounting a window unit in the rear door. I have heard that there are packages made for this that replace the rear window but i have yet to find one. The AC would slide right in. I have chatted with one person who actually bought one but it was in Canada :(

Of all the options, for the price and cooling power, window units beat everything. Even rooftop. I can't use rooftop due to the fiberglass hitop which would have problems with supporting the weight anyway.

So far, i have found a Frigidaire FFRH0822R1 8000 BTU 115-volt Compact Slide-Out Chasis Air Conditioner/Heat Pump with Remote Control. A REAL Heat-pump! Heating and cooling at a decent $420 price. Unless i can find something better this solves both heating and cooling for the small space inside my van. I just wish it was a 10,000 BTU just to be safe

The generator i picked was a DEAL for sure. It just arrived today. I guess because of the recent hurricane the prices on this particular unit have gone up a LOT!
I will probably put the thing in a cargo carrier on rear hitch along with the deep-cycle battery i got. The generator\inverter weight just over 100 lbs so i may have to manage taking it out to sit a few feet away from where i park to keep the noise down.

But before I can add any weight at all the the rear, I have to do something about Lift. I need another 6" of clearance Hard to find places around here that do conversion anything. Stock only. If i knew what to buy, I could probably get someone to mount it

Last edited:
Yeah, it will likely take 30,000BTU to cool during a hot texas summer day, but you only need ac for sleeping at night IMO. Was it still to hot to sleep with the 8000btu unit?

Any offroad place or shop that specializes in modified suspensions can handle the job. Get some Max Key's for the front and adjust the torsion bars, might be able to use existing stock keys, but make sure and take it to someone who will also professional align it afterwards. Add-a leaf to the rear. This will get you 1 1/2 inches. Some bigger tires will get you another inch.

questorfla

nah, if sleeping is all you want, the 8000 wold work. Just a pain to get it vented if using a portable. If a window unit, 8000 would probably do even in the day. Not much space in a van .. I found the place to get the one for the rear window. it is a whole kit AC and all. not too pricey but also only 5000 BTU and they said (for some reason) it would not run on inverter. I dont see how that could be but i am just now contacting them will let you know what i find.

http://safaricondoacc.com/boutique/en/removable-rear-air-conditioning-p112/

PS; I think the rims on my conversion are already 20" 265/50/R20 Not sure if i can get bigger than that. And 1 1/2" from adding a leaf won't help enough. I think I need to find the right Lift-kit for this thing

Last edited:

questorfla

Update on How things are progressing

Slowly but surely it s coming together
This GMC Savana 1500 conversion was obviously meant to be used for large family taking log drives. Kids etc. I am having to make some major shifts in the power routing to move everything off the main battery and onto a huge GSM Deep-cycle battery i got. When finally get all that moved I am sure that will help.

The AC was become the only MAJOR block. After a LOT of research, the ONLY reasonable way is to put it in the Rear Window using a small home-type Window unit AC. SOMEONE ?? Actually DOES make a real 'kit" inclusing a fiberglass mouting shell, and a nice upholstered inside part with the AC cutout etc.

BUT! The ONLY place i can find that sells the thing is in Canada. And they prefer to speak French. Unfortunately I can't. What i find odd is that they are a small retailer it appears and that means they have to get this whole setup from SOMEBODY. But I have nto found a trace.

I would actually not mind ordering from the people who say they DO have it, if i could get someone to take my order.. Yep, it is that hard.

If anyone here has any info on this thing The only specifics i can find are that i would order part/item "DANBY". It looks great and the one person i know who got one, says it works great too.

So I am now posting this info on every forum i'm in hoping that someone , somewhere, has seen such a thing. Remove window glass from rear door pop in this kit. Bolt down with no permanent changes to door frame so window glass can be reinstalled if desired. It is all fiberglass outside with all the brackets needed for mounting the AC
OR
you can buy it with a 5000 btu unit they supply. Anyone with info on something like this please reply. :sombrero:

One last note: I am adding some airbags to the rear of the van and would like to beef up the front struts/shocks (not sure which it has) But I cannot seem to find anything other than Stock from GMC on AMAZON.. Though E BAY lists several that SAY they are compatible.

Does anyone have any info on which front Strut/shocks would provide the best stability for this van?
2005 GMC Savana 1500.
Also, Tires. It came with NEXEN tires and i can replace with that but recently saw another van . Same year/model where they used to Michelin LT tires that look a lot "beefier". What i want is quiet running on the highway mostly but of course durability and skid-control would also be important. Any advice on this also appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz