2001 GEN III horn has gone insane

JAVYPRO

Observer
Guys,
First it was the alarm going off in the middle f the night, still not fixed. Well now is the horn, what is going on??? yesterday my wife 2001 GEN III was sitting on the driveway when all of a sudden the horn went off and stayed on. I had to disconnect the battery to shut it off.

I remember about a year or so ago the horn will not work at all, this happen after a shop, about to years back, fixed a little encounter with a mailbox. I thought that they had messed up with the horn as they did with one of the window buttons (they took one of the inside contacts off to charge the insurance) After some time the horn started working again but since yesterday it will not shut up (it is loud as hell).

I got a spare steering wheel and I am going to swap them to see if the issue is with the contacts in the steering wheel, if not I will have to go to plan B. What is plan B? I do not know.

Javy

KyleT

Explorer
Maybe the anti theft is messing up? Is the hood switch good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monty85

Observer
Interested to know how it goes with steering swap. Does it happen at night when its cooler ?
My friend with 2003 Gen3 had samething happen but he mentioned it happens at night. I am wondering if it has to do something with temperature.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Which horn is it? The little Nautilus shaped one in front of the radiator, or the loudspeaker shaped one near the battery? If the second one is the source, that is a theft alarm failure. I cut the wires to mine after a similar issue.

bikerjosh

Explorer
My 98 did the same thing, horn would start going off for no reason usually when I was driving to the gym at 4am. Pulled the fuse.

nckwltn

Explorer
My 98 did the same thing, horn would start going off for no reason usually when I was driving to the gym at 4am. Pulled the fuse.
If gen 3 look at the horn button in the steering wheel... Common problem when it gets cooler

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
If it isn't immobilizer or alarm related it is likely a more common problem. My Monty's previous owner used this guide to do a hack job fix of the issue...basically installing a dash mounted horn button and disconnecting the steering wheel wires.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/m...-stop-2003-montero-limited-how-i-fixed-37779/

I recommend doing it right by following this guide:
http://www.pajero.guru/how-to-fix-pajero-stuck-horn-problem-step-by-step-guide/

Here's how he describes what is happening: "First, Let's understand the reason of the problem. The horn switch is actually 2 soft sheets of metal which are being “pressed” one against each other every time you push the horn on your steering wheel center. You can see that “switch” in the pictures later in the article. The problems starts while these metal sheets stick one to each other and then it is like you push the horn."

mard

Observer
Just did this surgery on the gen 3. Need a rivet tool and an old tire (used an old inner tube) and now I have my horn back

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
If it isn't immobilizer or alarm related it is likely a more common problem. My Monty's previous owner used this guide to do a hack job fix of the issue...basically installing a dash mounted horn button and disconnecting the steering wheel wires.
https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/m...-stop-2003-montero-limited-how-i-fixed-37779/

I recommend doing it right by following this guide:
http://www.pajero.guru/how-to-fix-pajero-stuck-horn-problem-step-by-step-guide/

Here's how he describes what is happening: "First, Let's understand the reason of the problem. The horn switch is actually 2 soft sheets of metal which are being “pressed” one against each other every time you push the horn on your steering wheel center. You can see that “switch” in the pictures later in the article. The problems starts while these metal sheets stick one to each other and then it is like you push the horn."

My wifes Gen 3 did the same thing a few weeks ago right before we went to bed. I removed the horn fuse for now...haven't had time to fix it. Alarm/Keyless still works and the lower decibel horn still makes a sound when the alarm is activated...just can't honk the horn from the steering wheel. I may tackle this "fix" soon.

nckwltn

Explorer
My wifes Gen 3 did the same thing a few weeks ago right before we went to bed. I removed the horn fuse for now...haven't had time to fix it. Alarm/Keyless still works and the lower decibel horn still makes a sound when the alarm is activated...just can't honk the horn from the steering wheel. I may tackle this "fix" soon.
It is the horn switch in the steering wheel. Common problem on the gen 3.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Mine just did this also. Was able to knock it loose by bumping the right side of the middle part of the steering wheel. I will do surgery mentioned here to really fix it...

nckwltn

Explorer
I did a DIY fix on my horn, button.... but I forget what I did... I think it involved opening up the part where the two plates are that activate the horn relay and doing something to space them apart a little more.

horn isn't as sensitive as it used to be, but it also doesn't go off in the middle of the night.... the first time it happened, I was in NYC on a work trip, and my wife called me at 3am east coast time (we live in LA), and I had to walk her through disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery over the phone with the horn blaring.... wasn't awesome

JAVYPRO

Observer
nckwltn,
Surely it is not funny when it happens, that sucker is SERIOUSLY LOUD. I am going to take it apart to play with it.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the airbag, I hate to work around those things.

Javy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke