Interesting fail FYI

We were camping up in northern cal No Cell service and were trying to figure out what route to take home. BU again no cell service. So being the intrepid explorer I am I whipped out the I phone and tapped the map icon Goes what the map icon doesn't work with out cell service. Oh my gps location showed up fine but without a map to reference it to it was worthless so for all of you who think your I phone an I pad millwork with out cell service it does but it doesn't You have to down load a stand alone map(s) an d preload the areas you are in By the way I have topo ,maps isa on th diphone and because I didn't download the quads I need it didn't work either.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yep learned that one a long time ago. Google offline maps are ok for general info have done that some. It happens lol. Pretty much all of Yellowstone is lacking cell service we loaded several sources of data before we hit the park.

jpachard

Adventurer
Yup, I cross the country at least once a year exploring on two wheels or four. Your problem statement above is exactly why I still have a stand alone gps. Load it up with all my maps and am good to go. I’ve tried the same with gps apps on the phone with very mixed results. You “download” the map only to find that it didn’t download properly etc. Not worth the risk IMO to be in BFE with no map...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pluton

Adventurer
Smartphones make poor GPS units. GPS units make poor phones. Garmin tried to merge the two and got a tax writeoff. BTW, my now-ancient iPhone 5 displays and tracks my location on USGS Topo maps (via the Gaia app) IF I have pre-downloaded the relevant maps. But...I prefer the Garmin Montana.

dlh62c

Explorer
I'm certainly a fan of my Garmin GPSmap62s. It can show me where I'm at, point me with directions to where I want to go and if I have tracking turned on and displayed where I've been all at the same time.

Garmin's BaseCamp program is a great tool for route planning and building a database of routes, tracks and waypoints.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles