New tires installed, Falken Wildpeak A/TW3s trip report.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
A couple of weeks ago in anticipation of our annual "Jeep trek" to Utah I decided it was time for some new rubber. We had run BFG KM2s (E's) and Hankook RE03 MT's (D's) and this time around I wanted an all terrain. I had narrowed the selection to Cooper ST-Maxxs, Mastercraft CXT's, or Falken Wildpeak A/TW3s. I was vacillating on size, did I want LT285/70R17's like I had on or did I want to go up slightly to LT285/75R17s? Since the trip was going to involve higher elevations and I am only running 3.73 gears I went with LT285/70R17E's. My tire guy sold me on the Wildpeaks on price. I got five mounted and balanced, with tax, disposal, etc. all out the door for $1,120.00.

On the trip I encountered a lot of highway driving, on which I can say the tires are very quiet compared to the previous KM2's and RE03's. Of those two the RE03's were a little quieter than the KM2s, which are like driving a dump truck on the freeway. Seriously, at one point I considered installing an intercom system they were so loud. We also encountered a day of rain in the mountains. The wet highway traction of these tires was incredible. I never felt any slip. In the desert of Cathedral Valley and the dirt tracks of Grand Staircase, Burr Trail, and the Wolverine Loop and off-shoots the tires were fantastic, traction in and out of a creek a couple of dozen times was superb. The tires seem to let go of gravel and rocks easily. I was able to find one good muddy section to try the tires out and there they performed like every other all-terrain I have ever run; they loaded up. I bet I drove 1/4 mile before the tires let go of all the mud. That is the deal with all terrain tires, somewhere, something has to give. The tires are snowflake rated but it'll be February before I get to try them in snow.

These are an E rated tire. I ran them at 18lbs front and 20lbs rear off road and ran them at 35lbs on highway to keep the TPMS happy. They are a heavy tire 10 ply but that is what I wanted for the weight I run in the desert and pulling a trailer.

Falken lists these specs for them,

LT285/70R17 E/10 121/118S 8.5 7.5 - 9.0 33.0 11.6 632 9.3 14.6 18 59 80 3195

Tires 1.jpgTires 2.JPGTires 3.jpg

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Nice looking tire. I like all the siping. They should be good on the snowy roads. :)
Good luck with them! :beer:

They should prove to be a good, all-around tire. I wish I could run them at 30PSI but I lose use of the TPMS system if I do that, so 35PSI it is.

MOguy

Explorer
I have had a set of the for about 1K miles on my Jeep. They ride smooth and quite, no signs of wear. I was running Super Swampers before so about anything is quieter and smoother than those. I did pick up just over 2.5mpg with these tires compared to the Super Swampers. I did expect my mpg to improve but for me it is about a 20% improvement which is significant.

On the road my Jeep rides like a car now. The only "off-roading" have done yet is disking up my food plot for deer season. They never lost traction at all but that really isn't the best "off-road" test.

So far I am happy. I have always run more aggressive tires on my Jeep but at this point I am liking these Falkens. I paid $706 out the door for 4 tires (mount, balance and tax). Mine are 33X12.5 R15.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
They should prove to be a good, all-around tire. I wish I could run them at 30PSI but I lose use of the TPMS system if I do that, so 35PSI it is.

Can you use a tuner to adjust your TPMS setup?
I was running the ProCal from AEV, and had it set down to 28psi (lowest setting without turning it off completely) on the '14 JKU. Also allowed idle up for winching, jumping, etc..

Looking forward to seeing how these work on the 3/4 ton diesel trucks... like I just bought. :D

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Can you use a tuner to adjust your TPMS setup?
I was running the ProCal from AEV, and had it set down to 28psi (lowest setting without turning it off completely) on the '14 JKU. Also allowed idle up for winching, jumping, etc..

Looking forward to seeing how these work on the 3/4 ton diesel trucks... like I just bought. :D

I wish. SuperChips removed that function from my device due to conflicts with the TIPM. I had a long talk with one of their reps a few weeks ago and the new Trail Dash overcomes that problem, just not sure I want to throw $500 at the problem. I'm waiting for SuperChips to have a big sale on the trail dash, maybe for the holidays........

What did you buy??????

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
I bought the ProCal from AEV for the Jeep.
I wasn't looking for an engine tuner, just a way to recalc speedo & tpms. As a side benefit it also added the idle up feature, which I used a lot.

I haven't decided what to do for the truck yet.

Yeah, hopefully you find a really good Black Friday deal. Will keep my fingers crossed for you. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles