Gaia Pro: How to, FAQ, Questions

Theoretician

Adventurer
Now, I see that zoom level slider bar. Of course I had not paid attention to it, or tried to use it before hand.

As long as I have room, I will most likely keep it at the highest zoom.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my wifi speed, the age of my devices, or something with Gaia servers, but it seems to take a LONG time to download 100k tiles. Even a gig or two movie seems lightening fast comparatively.

I see the same thing. Downloads take FOREVER, with my VPN reporting traffic in the 2-5 kbps range with no other network usage to clog the pipes. I also have to keep the app on screen, and the screen on, otherwise the downloads seem to freeze or even corrupt. Switching between modes (download selection vs active map vs managing settings etc.) can mean ~30s of latency on my nvidia shield that manages perfectly well within a single mode - there have been crashes during that latency period as well that result in duplicated downloads, missing downloads, resurrection of previously deleted downloads, etc.

The app seems like the best one out there for features, but it isn't setting a very high bar for reliability.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Same on the download speeds measured in kbps instead of mb or gb. I was being nice when I said maybe it is my wifi, but I know that is not it. I have fiber and often get 200mbps + upload and download.

I'd really like to know why it is so slow. It is the one thing that is making me look for other options.

6609003851.png

Last edited:

malibubts

Adventurer
Slow as well for me. Luckily it doesn't really freeze up like some of you have reported. I just usually kick them off overnight and if they don't complete I pause them again. Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure they limit the download speeds to save them money on the server side. A lot of times commercial/data center internet connections are billed by both the capability and the usage of the circuit.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

fike

Adventurer
When Gaia first came out it was difficult to sync across devices. Now I can create a waypoint on my phone and add a photo of the spot and then it will be available on the web version or on my iPad. Using this feature I am building my database of cool spots--boondocking or hiking.

I have been using a Bad Elf to capture the track and then import into Gaia. The track is more precise and its performance in tree cover is better. With the iPhone I get about 6 or 7 hours of tracking (depending on lots of stuff) while the Bad Elf can last almost two days.

Superduty

Adventurer
Slow as well for me. Luckily it doesn't really freeze up like some of you have reported. I just usually kick them off overnight and if they don't complete I pause them again. Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure they limit the download speeds to save them money on the server side. A lot of times commercial/data center internet connections are billed by both the capability and the usage of the circuit.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
If you think Gaia is slow, take a look at Motion X. Motion X is ridiculously slow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HowardH

Adventurer
I know how to add photos to routes I'm recording. What i can't figure out is how to view the pics in full screen mode. All I get are small photo windows that pop up. Surely there is a way to view attached pics in a full screen mode. Help please.

Superduty

Adventurer
What is the highest resolution satellite imagery avaialble for Gaia Pro? Is there anything that comes close to Google Earth? Is it possible to cache Google earth imagery and use in Gaia?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Why is the San Raphael Swell map 712 not available on Gaia or Avenza? In talking to Gaia, they say it is not on their exclusion list. I already have the printed map, but would like it on Gaia or Avenza as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles