Gaia Pro: How to, FAQ, Questions

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ok, I just loaded the newest version of Gaia GPS. So far it seems to work well. I figured I'd start a thread for anyone using it so we could share questions and tips.

I'll start off. I like being able to layer the maps and slow transparency of the map layers. Especially nice when switching from a current topo layer to one from 1900.

Also, like being able to look at Trails Illustrated, USGS Topo, and satellite.

Just need to download them first.

My first question:

Is there a way to download LARGE areas at once? When I try to download an entire state, it says you cannot download more than 10000 tiles. I'd really just like to do all of Colorado, then all of Utah. Having to chunk it is a pain.

I'd like to do all the USGS topos and Trails Illustrated for those two states, but don't want to have to save twenty different mapping areas.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Changing the zoom level rapidly decreases the number of tiles downloaded for a map. The default zoom level for a download is 15 out of a max of 16, and dropping it to 14 reduces the tile demand significantly while still allow for navigation on forest roads. I wouldn't want to go lower than that when it comes to deciding which turn to take though. I think level 14 let me grab the western 2/3 of the state of NM in the USFS 2016 map.

1Louder

Explorer
Ok, I just loaded the newest version of Gaia GPS. So far it seems to work well. I figured I'd start a thread for anyone using it so we could share questions and tips.

I'll start off. I like being able to layer the maps and slow transparency of the map layers. Especially nice when switching from a current topo layer to one from 1900.

Also, like being able to look at Trails Illustrated, USGS Topo, and satellite.

Just need to download them first.

You will need a Premium membership in order to have map layers and view the NatGeo Trails Illustrated maps.

My first question:

Is there a way to download LARGE areas at once? When I try to download an entire state, it says you cannot download more than 10000 tiles. I'd really just like to do all of Colorado, then all of Utah. Having to chunk it is a pain.

I'd like to do all the USGS topos and Trails Illustrated for those two states, but don't want to have to save twenty different mapping areas.

If you download states in small sections the app will automatically stitch your downloads together. I would break them up into sections. I know you said you would prefer not to do this but there are some limitations as you mentioned. As mentioned above the zoom level you choose can greatly reduce the number of tiles required to download.

Hope this helps..

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Where do you chose the download zoom level? When I was looking at the whole state, I ended up doing and East, Central, and West section, but I did not see a choice to say only go down to certain level.

I now want the USFS layer to get all the trail marker road numbers, but want to make sure I try the zoom level as you described.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Also, if you work for them, or make suggestions to them, I'd like to see a tile name at the top banner when looking at each layer. That way when looking at a Trails Illustrated section, I'd know I'm looking at TI #103 and could pull the paper version. Same thing for USGS Topos. That way I could quickly and pull paper quads for back while in the backcountry.

1Louder

Explorer
Where do you chose the download zoom level? When I was looking at the whole state, I ended up doing and East, Central, and West section, but I did not see a choice to say only go down to certain level.

I now want the USFS layer to get all the trail marker road numbers, but want to make sure I try the zoom level as you described.

Which version of the app are you using? iOS or Android? There are different help centers for each app online. In iOS it is right on the top when you are selecting the area to download.

1Louder

Explorer
Also, if you work for them, or make suggestions to them, I'd like to see a tile name at the top banner when looking at each layer. That way when looking at a Trails Illustrated section, I'd know I'm looking at TI #103 and could pull the paper version. Same thing for USGS Topos. That way I could quickly and pull paper quads for back while in the backcountry.

That would be something you would want to suggest in the Gaia Community forums. I am not sure if what you are requesting is possible but if you take the time to put it there folks can comment on it and someone from the Gaia GPS development team will likely comment. I will ask though. I am a part of the Gaia team now but I am not familiar with all of the data that is pulled in with each tile request.

Theoretician

Adventurer
Which version of the app are you using? iOS or Android? There are different help centers for each app online. In iOS it is right on the top when you are selecting the area to download.

Same on Android, it's a slider at the top right of the screen when selecting the download area.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I am using iOS, but I do want to make this thread all encompassing to Android, iOS, and Web based questions.

I did post my thoughts for new features to the Gaia community section.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Now, I see that zoom level slider bar. Of course I had not paid attention to it, or tried to use it before hand.

As long as I have room, I will most likely keep it at the highest zoom.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my wifi speed, the age of my devices, or something with Gaia servers, but it seems to take a LONG time to download 100k tiles. Even a gig or two movie seems lightening fast comparatively.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
How about turn by turn navigation to a city or or waypoint from current location? Does Gaia have that?

1Louder

Explorer
How about turn by turn navigation to a city or or waypoint from current location? Does Gaia have that?

No that is not offered. If you need turn by turn to a point Gaia will link out to Google Maps or other app of your choice.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Linking out to Google would only help if there is a connection. If I had a connection, I'd already just use google, apple, waze...etc.

That would be a nice add on feature for downloaded maps.

I will watch that video and read the tutorials as well.

Utah200

Adventurer
Linking out to Google would only help if there is a connection. If I had a connection, I'd already just use google, apple, waze...etc.

That would be a nice add on feature for downloaded maps.

I will watch that video and read the tutorials as well.

You can also DL sections on Google Maps for offline use. The combo is pretty useful for doing exactly what you're describing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles