Vandito: 95 Ford E350 7.3 4wd ZF5 manual build

Pattywagen

Greetings! I've been a lurker here for some time, but decided I'm close enough to finishing my van to compile a build thread. I've had my share of custom/highly modified vehicles over the years, but this one is certainly the biggest. It definitely gets a lot of attention, and it's such a blast to drive around.

It all started with the purchase of a (relatively) low milage E350 cargo van. It was originally a cargo van, but the first owner was a church that sent it to Turtle Top for a passenger conversion package. Hence the non-oem side windows. At first I wasn't sure what the deal was with the house-style navy blue carpet and the rectangular windows, but after some research it made sense. I'm thinking that when these first came out, they weren't offered as passenger vans with the powerstroke diesel from the factory. It was in pretty good shape. It wasn't beat to hell, the motor and transmission worked flawlessly, and for a one ton brick shaped van it actually got really good fuel economy. If you could keep your foot out of it, 19-20mpg was pretty easily attainable. I got it because I needed portable enclosed tool storage, and the towing capacity to pull my travel trailer. Fast forward a couple years, and I've pulled the travel trailer a total of 2 times and taken all the tools out and gutted the back for some laminate flooring. I really had my eye on an old body style F350 4wd crew cab, but I got a really good deal on the van. I had always wanted a 4wd econoline ever since I first saw one as a kid at the MX races. I caught a lot of hell from friends over my "rape van" but now that it's sitting on a solid axle up front and 35's that talk has seemed to subside!

As it sits currently, I'm awaiting the arrival of my new clutch kit and aftermarket clutch pedal to begin the install of my ZF5. I originally wanted to go with the 6 speed, but after weeks and weeks looking online and calling wreckers and transmission shops, I found a deal on a 5 speed that I couldn't pass up. Also, I had the chance to drive a 97 F350 with the 5speed and the same gear ratios and tire size and it was perfect. I also spent countless hours in the evenings reading about the strength of the ZF5 and owner's reviews and put to rest any doubts about its reliability and longevity. The first and final drive ratios are very similar between the two transmissions and I know that the zf6 is dimensionally larger.

Already completed is the front axle swap. I picked up a used axle from a 2001 F250 and ordered new leaf springs designed to give 4" of lift on the trucks. I had alread started fabbing things up when I came across Ujoint offroad's kits. Looking back I wish I had ordered a kit from Chris and saved myself a lot of time, but overall I feel good about how my swap has turned out and I went to great lengths to make sure everything was done as safely and accurate as possible. I amended a few of my designs after seeing the way the Ujoint kits are set up, and while I certainly don't want to give the vibe that I tried to full out copy his stuff, I must say that they have absolutely got the best design in comparison to the other conversion companies that I've looked at. Coming from a Toyota offroad background, the utilization of leaf springs and compatible factory available axles just makes sense to me. There are a few items that I will be doing differently now that I've had some time to drive it around for a while. Shocks and rear leaf springs primarily, but for the most part it's very near completion. I've been driving it around with the Bluetooth front driveshaft ;) for about a year, and I'm very excited to get the 5 speed in it.

I've built a roof rack, and a rear bumper for it. Planning to finish up the rear swing-outs and front bumper soon.

Update: since typing this up a few weeks ago, I've completed the 5 speed swap and absolutely love it. I certainly get the convenience of the auto trans, but there's nothing like rowing through the gears in a big diesel powered beast! I'll be adding some photos/videos asap.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Pattywagen

The rear has a 2 inch spacer that matches the front track width and adapts to match the front bolt pattern.

Pattywagen

Still needs a few things, and a thorough cleaning, but here's a few photos in by the meantime. I tried to match the factory brake pedal while building the clutch pedal assembly. I originally planned to order one from cnc and make it work, but ultimately didn't like the look of the pedal, and the use of a not-off-the-shelf master cylinder. I figured if i was going to have to bust out the welding machine to make it work, why not just scratch build one? My setup uses oem style master and slave cylinders and a braided stainless line. It's a bit stiff compared to my toyota, but feels like a beefy truck clutch should!

I'm trying to uplaod pictures via imagur right now. Gotta learn a new system since photobucket sucks now...

Pattywagen

So, I'm new to Tapatalk as well. Didn't realize you could load pictures directly!
709b842516dc95419e674f89ae6849e7.jpg
8562affaf4d17fdc04ba03c58e88b5ed.jpg
2d09c1a2606b430c57a3d2dc15207850.jpg
64a71358f6feb712e6610dcc14f9cc2a.jpg
ed13c578ad2021c30a1064bfaaa0055e.jpg
656606d39b862d7a3ea52aff2f78e776.jpg
c37f2b4812e8587f97aaa1c85e86f634.jpg
605a3d778245aa841e3dbdeef8792988.jpg
62cdcb2c89871cd020980bdbfc26d9c9.jpg

Pattywagen

Another thing I forgot to mention, I reshaped the driver side wheel arch to allow more space for left foot peddlin' and although it wasn't drastic it definitely helps.

Also, if this would be more appropriate in the van section, moderators feel free to relocate it.

Dave In Florida

I have also lusted after 4x4 Ford vans for years, as well as the CCLB OBS fords. Luckily I scored an 87 CCLB Ford and am working on a Cummins swap now. It's primarily a tow vehicle for our dune buggy, but I'd like to do some light expedition runs with it too.

As such, I love that front bumper design. I've saved the pic for inspiration for my truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Love it! So I gotta ask - AFAIK those vans were never offered from the factory with a manual transmission, so did you have to fabricate your own clutch pedal hangers, master cylinder, location, etc?

Dalko43

Explorer
Solid front axle, diesel engine, manual transmission and transfer case shifters, cargo van.....I'm loving it, and Sub'd!

When did Ford stop putting solid front axles on their vans? I thought their vans were just F250's with a different body on top.

Pattywagen

Love it! So I gotta ask - AFAIK those vans were never offered from the factory with a manual transmission, so did you have to fabricate your own clutch pedal hangers, master cylinder, location, etc?
Thanks! You are correct. The 92+ econolines never came with a manual transmission, and the pedal assembly from the F series wouldn't come close to fitting. So it's all scratch built.
0d2ab16ae1a680183b64fce60fee24ed.jpg
7a812dd467a2fbd4dba7f1029d5b519f.jpg
fed01593364361f9df3d8b62df2b6240.jpg

Pattywagen

Solid front axle, diesel engine, manual transmission and transfer case shifters, cargo van.....I'm loving it, and Sub'd!

When did Ford stop putting solid front axles on their vans? I thought their vans were just F250's with a different body on top.
Some if the older generations of vans may have been offered with 4wd, but I know that the 92 and later never came with 4wd from the factory. Quigley and a few others offered conversions on new vans but they werent a ford option. The frame shares some similarities and parts compatability with the truck, but they are definitely very different overall.

Pattywagen

I just finished my rear swing-out/tire carrier and I'll post some more photos of the finished product soon.
65d72bf266f23649be5d4a3ac692d54a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior