Hard shell RTT options that can carry load on top

Hi All - I think i've dialed in my RTT selection for my trailer build. Since my ultimate goal is ease of use for those overnighters, i've decided to go with a hardshell rtt. My second goal is to carry mountain bikes easily on the trailer. I know i can put a rack on the back hitch receiver but it adds quite a bit of length to the trailer and just seems like a better option to load them on top of the trailer if I could. I'm starting with a bear trailgater with aluminum solid lid, so i'd plan to mount the RTT to the lid, then put load bars on top of the RTT shell for 4 bikes and some misc smaller cargo. Also to note, i'll prob have an oztent rv4 or rv5 along as well for my boys to camp in next to the trailer when we need more space, strapping it to the load bars would be ideal.

Anyhow, been looking at RTT's and the 2 that really stick out are the alu-cab gen 3 and the bundutop. Both aluminum shells, flat top, etc. The alu-cab specifically shows supporting load bars. The bundutop doesnt specifically say. Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on these rtt's? Any other options I'm missing to take a look at?

https://adventure-ready.com/store/alu-cab-rooftop-tent/

http://bundutecusa.com/store/#!/BunduTop/p/74882729/category=21412149

bigdecals

Jd, did you see this brand yet?

www tepuitents com, they have a new one that will accommodate racks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
https://tepuitents.com/products/white-lightning-hard-shell

Tepui Tents is proud to offer “White Lightning,” our first hard shell tent ever.

White Lightning features a “best in class” super low profile of 8 inches and the first Rack ReadyTM design so you can bring your bikes, kayak or SUP. Recommended maximum load capacity of the Rack ReadyTM side bars is 60 lbs. Keep your equipment on top of the roof while the tent is open or closed.

shoredreamer

Observer
IMG_4677.JPGIMG_5371.jpgMy Grand Raid can carry 60# of gear. I use a Keeper bag that fits well up there. It carries TRED boards, shower, privy, toilet, shower mat, ground tent, and other spare gear.

Last edited:
The james baroud tents look really nice and from what I can tell everyone really likes them. It doesnt really look like it can hold bikes though, whereas the alu-cab has an option for load bars to be mounted to the top. Carrying 3-4 mountain bikes is my main concern as my son races for his high school and we do a lot of race camp trips. I wonder how the quality/comfort of the alu-cab stacks up to the JB tents? These things are so expensive, i hate picking one without seeing any firsthand.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
What is your tow rig? Have you considered mounting bikes on like, Yakima or Thule bars on it? You're limiting your choice to RTTs that can carry loads & don't want to use the receiver type of bike racks. This might free you up to choose an RTT that is larger or more to your liking and/or budget.

Tow rig is FJ Cruiser. FJ has roof rack, but its already a beast to keep under control in the wind (do a lot of high dessert/high wind trips) i feel like putting bikes on the top would make it even worse. I could do the bike rack off the back receiver of the trailer though, if i didnt end up getting something that could carry the bikes.

I ultimately landed on going with hard shell RTT vs soft sided because of convenience and fast deploy/teardown times. This is one of the main reasons i want to have a camp trailer is so its always ready and i could be at camp super fast with minimal setup/teardown. I have a really nice kodiak canvas tent that takes 15min to setup and for whatever reason that feels like a pain. Having 30sec tent setup feels like it would be a game changer for those quick overnighters. The soft-sided rtt's seemed to take longer to setup, maybe im missing some models that would fit the bill though. Theres so much to learn through this process, so little time :)
Thx -JD

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
The Alu-Cab Expedition III can definitely handle any abuse you can throw at it including a few bikes up top. I've personally used this tent on my JKUR with a 1UP bike rack and it works fantastic, the only thing to keep in mind is the overall height of your rig. For my lifted Jeep, the base of my bike rack was near 7' 10" so remembering to steer clear of "drive thru" and parking decks is a must.

Guapo

I'm also looking to purchase a hardshell tent with load bars on top. I have a Chaser trailer by Adventure Trailer with an Eezi-Awn Globe Tracker tent on it. It's an awesome tent that has the large annex area attached with loads of room for me and my family, but turns out my family never goes along. It's just me an my buddies and we all have our own tents. The time and effort to break camp with the Globe Tracker vs my buddy's James Baroud tent isn't even close. After our last trip, I decided it's time to sell the Globe Tracker and get a hardshell.

I'm looking into the Alu-Cab Gen 3, the Autohome Maggiolina Extreme, the Roof Nest Sparrow X, and the new Tepui White Lightening. I like the idea of being able to carry kayaks, maxtraxx, bikes, etc on top of the tent. I'm also going to consider the James Baroud like my buddy's as it's been an awesome tent for him, but it lacks decent storage on top. I also like the Eezi-Awn Stealth, but again...no racks on top. I'm definitely open to other options as well.

Like you, there's no where nearby to put my hands on these tents and see how I like them in person, so I depend on what others have to say in these forums and online reviews. I'll keep tabs on this thread! Let us know what you decide and why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles