Engel fridge 12v "Thermal Fuse" substitutes?

Rezarf <><

Explorer
My fuse on my 12v ARB branded Engel mt-45 no longer shows continuity. Engel wants $10/each for these fuses. Can I pop in a regular fuse and go? I've got beefed up wiring from my dual battery (10ga) to the outlet for the fridge, direct. The fancy thermal protection now seems redundant for my application. The fuse did blow in a friends car.

Thoughts? Also the fuse isn't marked with amperage rating I'm assuming 5-10amp for a replacement?

AndrewP

Explorer
The Engel fuse will blow with reversed polarity which might be useful if you aren't confident in your wiring.

But I'd recommend you eliminate it all together. Just cut the cord, replace both ends (plug and socket) with PowerPoles and forget about it. The PowerPoles will keep your polarity correct and eliminate a well known failure point. There is still a 10 amp fuse in the rear of the fridge protecting the device from an over current event.

I have an MT-45 too, and it hasn't had a standard plug on it for 10 years. The PowerPole is a much better solution to this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles