Next truck, 4 different options...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I guess I've seen too many RAM trannies (hehehehe) go kaput from towing but never an Allison. Not a fan of Chevy or Ford diesels, hence the RAM diesel.

The Aisin tranny in the new trucks is a huge improvement, but you are correct, the transmission has always been a weak point on a Ram. You should seriously consider a 6.7L Powerstroke, it's an amazing and well sorted diesel after 6 years in use now. IMHO it's the best diesel currently in a domestic production truck.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I guess I've seen too many RAM trannies (hehehehe) go kaput from towing but never an Allison. Not a fan of Chevy or Ford diesels, hence the RAM diesel.

I pulled 25k with my 2014 Ram, it had the 68rfe. My 2011 Allison would get warm pulling 20k. I really had more faith in the Ram transmission.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
The Aisin tranny in the new trucks is a huge improvement, but you are correct, the transmission has always been a weak point on a Ram. You should seriously consider a 6.7L Powerstroke, it's an amazing and well sorted diesel after 6 years in use now. IMHO it's the best diesel currently in a domestic production truck.
I believe the 6.7L was put in beginning with the 2007 model year trucks. These RAM 2500's sure hold their value!

I pulled 25k with my 2014 Ram, it had the 68rfe. My 2011 Allison would get warm pulling 20k. I really had more faith in the Ram transmission.
Perhaps your 2014 RAM had the newer tranny in it?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I believe the 6.7L was put in beginning with the 2007 model year trucks.

Mid year 2007, or 2007.5 was the first year of the 6.7L Cummins, in regards to Ford however (which is what I was referencing in my post), you're wrong. Post OBS Fords, starting in 1999-2003 (mid year) had the 7.3L PSD, 2003 (mid year) to 2007 had the 6.0L PSD, 2008-2010 had the 6.4L PSD, and starting in 2011 and ever since, they've had the 6.7L PSD.

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Observer
Most trails in this country can be run with 35's, so the 40's on the Prospector XL aren't necessary. That said, I understand the desire for the AEV trucks, I send an email usually every other month to AEV nagging them about getting into the Superduty market lol. I am currently on my third F-250 King Ranch since 2012, my current truck is a 2017 F-250 King Ranch "Alumiduty". I absolutely love these trucks, loaded to the hilt with options and creature comforts, and they can tow pretty much anything you throw at them. In regards to the 6.7L Powerstroke, they have all been flawless in regards to reliability and they have never let me down in the capability department. I truly believe that Ford makes the best all-around heavy duty truck on the market. That said, I would certainly consider a Ram if I wanted a manual transmission and a Cummins diesel, but the rear coils on the 3/4 ton is a turn off.
My truck stickered for $75K, I paid $63,980, so the deep discounts on these trucks are certainly there, don't overpay.
My plans for my truck are either a 2-2.5" level or 4" lift with 37's, probably a camper with a RTT and some bumpers/winch. These trucks fit 37's with a leveling kit and honestly that's more tire than anyone will ever need off-road in an overlanding environment. Sure the cool factor of the 40's on the Prospector is appealing, but the added weight just leads to more wear and tear on the front of the truck and the tranny, two areas that Ram's are notorious for having issues. I would think that you'd want a tune running that big of a tire as well to make up for the lost power and torque, a risk if you are still under warranty.

In regards to resale, I sold my 2016 with 33K miles on it in May, I got $51K for it, I only paid $60K for it 17 months earlier, that's pretty good resale and low depreciation. These loaded out models like the KR and Platinum have excellent resale on the used market. The massaging seats sure are nice on a long road trip too, my other half hated the idea of them when we first got the truck, but now she's constantly using them lol. I would think that you'd have a much easier time selling the Ford as well, the Prospector XL definitely has an appeal on the used market, but it's only appealing to a very small, niche portion of the market and that would lead me to believe that it could take longer to sell. You certainly wouldn't want to take the hit on trading it in as I'm certain most dealers would value it as a normal/standard Ram truck.

At the end of the day, I don't think that you can go wrong either way, but personal bias aside, I think you would be better off with the KR and a small lift/level. Don't rule out the Lariat Ultimate package either, you can get all of the same options as the KR and Platinums for a few thousand less, possibly putting you sub $60K on the purchase. That would leave you quite a bit of scratch left over for mods and accessories. Keep us updated on which way you go, I would love to have another full size build thread to follow.

That is absolutely my plan with the KR truck. Small level/lift and 37s. Also, stock tire size is 34.5" so the slightly larger tires won't work the driveline components too hard I believe. I have found out the resale of all of my diesel trucks have been great, between that and my love of ridiculous torque, a diesel is a must have.

blackdmax15

Observer
I would buy a gas motor in your position. A diesel is a necessary evil for towing heaving trailers and that's the only thing that makes it worthwhile.

With all of my military moves, having a diesel and a 24ft race car trailer allows me to make extra money by moving all of my stuff. I've moved 9 times in 10 years and that money is very welcomed on our fixed pay!

blackdmax15

Observer
As a side note my old roomate had a buy back diesel jetta. He has three boys all are out of car seats which is a huge deal regarding seat space. His new ride is the Diesel Canyon LB. keep in mind his Jetta rear seat was smaller than the Canyon. He says its workable with the three boys. They dont do long road trips! They do very close local stuff given they live in a great place for MTB and skiing etc. On the flip side I do road trips, our preferred rig is the 2010 Outback the rear seat is bigger than the Colorado/Canyon but only slightly and I have two kids. So I have seriously considered the Canyon as a viable option for us. My heavy hauler is a 05 Sequoia err minivan etc sorta like your Suburban its not exactly my go to for trips but we use it for butts in seats capacity.

Im in CA but our area full size SUCKS!!! Parking is basically Zero because of width. My neighbor with the F150 Sunday moto rig, drives a WRX STI daily his wife drives the Sienna Daily. The F150 might see 4000 miles a yr at most. Mainly because you cant park the damn thing anywere.

With the Yukon XL we have, I park away from every idiot anyway. My wife and kiddos have gotten used to walking 1/4 mile to go into a store. People here in SoCal don't care about your vehicles and will drive shopping carts or their hoopties into your car!

blackdmax15

Observer
I am getting a warning that my repose too short:)....see above.

I should have specified. If I get the Ram it will be the 3500 with the Aisin transmission. I'm a big fan of the Allison and the Aisin seems to be a Japanese knock off of the Allison 1000, but upgraded significantly. I have to get the 3500 to get the Aisin. Plus this gives me leaf springs in the rear which I also desire for simplicity.

For the spare fuel tank, I want to do the in-bed 75gallon. It's 18" wide, so that allows the decked bed drawers for the short bed to fit in the long bed. I thought about the under bed 30gal fuel tank but I may place batteries or something else under there instead. With the long bed ford 46 gallon tank and 75 extra gallons, there shouldn't be a need for more fuel ever. This will double as a BOV for when California breaks away from the rest of the U.S. and I have to get my family out asap haha (joke).

blackdmax15

Observer
Last update today, first, I didn't realize I wasn't getting individual messages for responses. I didn't realize anyone had replied yet to this thread so my apologies. Second, my dad literally just bought my ideal truck... a White/tan F-350 KR long bed. I don't know if I'm happy for him or jealous and pissed off, but he works hard for his money and I'm happy. I really appreciate all of the great points about the different trucks. Again I "want" the prospector XL, but I feel living with 40s after the first year may get somewhat old. Plus I really like the bed step the ford offers as I'm not vertically gifted... Throw any more thoughts my way. As soon as this house closes, I'm heading to the dealer to order. Leaning hard towards the Ford KR.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I should have specified. If I get the Ram it will be the 3500 with the Aisin transmission. I'm a big fan of the Allison and the Aisin seems to be a Japanese knock off of the Allison 1000, but upgraded significantly. I have to get the 3500 to get the Aisin. Plus this gives me leaf springs in the rear which I also desire for simplicity.

For the spare fuel tank, I want to do the in-bed 75gallon. It's 18" wide, so that allows the decked bed drawers for the short bed to fit in the long bed. I thought about the under bed 30gal fuel tank but I may place batteries or something else under there instead. With the long bed ford 46 gallon tank and 75 extra gallons, there shouldn't be a need for more fuel ever. This will double as a BOV for when California breaks away from the rest of the U.S. and I have to get my family out asap haha (joke).

All the Titan tanks are CARB compliant apparently.
http://titanfueltanks.com/faqs
That doesn't appear to be the case with Transfer Flow if I'm interpreting it correctly. https://www.transferflow.com/regulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94