Next truck, 4 different options...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I wish the new Rams could deal with the fuel down in Mexico and countries even farther south. If they could this would be mine already.

Yea, that's definitely a concern, sadly I am stuck on a diesel and I don't see that ever changing. Short of a LMTV type build or a Land Cruiser, I doubt I'll ever be taking an Overlander any further south than the Baja.

Have you considered building up a Power Wagon with AEV parts? Do they come with a manual as an option? If so, that could be the ticket for your travels south.

Yea, that's definitely a concern, sadly I am stuck on a diesel and I don't see that ever changing. Short of a LMTV type build or a Land Cruiser, I doubt I'll ever be taking an Overlander any further south than the Baja.

Have you considered building up a Power Wagon with AEV parts? Do they come with a manual as an option? If so, that could be the ticket for your travels south.

I'm actually currently looking for a manual Power Wagon. They stopped in 09 so I have to go a bit older then I wanted but I'm ok with that to get to enjoy the truck more. Plus I am not a big fan of all the fancy stuff in new trucks and prefer aftermarket so that would give me the option for that and have money for some of those nice AEV parts.

zb39

Adventurer
I wish the new Rams could deal with the fuel down in Mexico and countries even farther south. If they could this would be mine already.

I know people who are running new Rams south of the border and not having any issues. I also know people running them in Africa also. What is the issue your concerned about.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Have you considered building up a Power Wagon with AEV parts?
Most of the AEV stuff that is actually available as parts is overpriced and unnecessary. Lots of show and very little go. If you want to build a PW, go to the PW Registry and start reading the various threads, including the discussions of AEV stuff. Manual trans PWs are extremely scarce, and one of the new members just posted build lists by year, showing the numbers of PWs produced with manuals (total 483 with the 6-spd and 7 with the 5-spd). Also lots of good discussion of building the trucks for towing, heavy bed loads, campers, crawlers, go-fast desert rigs, work trucks, etc.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3927&sid=734693a30d2b617108c8ac36c03aa3ee

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5008&hilit=aev+prospector

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4660&hilit=aev+prospector

The consensus among the PW crowd is that if you want to mod a PW for increased functionality, go with Thuren or Carli. If you want to look good, go with AEV.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Most of the AEV stuff that is actually available as parts is overpriced and unnecessary. Lots of show and very little go. If you want to build a PW, go to the PW Registry and start reading the various threads, including the discussions of AEV stuff. Manual trans PWs are extremely scarce, and one of the new members just posted build lists by year, showing the numbers of PWs produced with manuals (total 483 with the 6-spd and 7 with the 5-spd). Also lots of good discussion of building the trucks for towing, heavy bed loads, campers, crawlers, go-fast desert rigs, work trucks, etc.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3927&sid=734693a30d2b617108c8ac36c03aa3ee

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5008&hilit=aev+prospector

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4660&hilit=aev+prospector

The consensus among the PW crowd is that if you want to mod a PW for increased functionality, go with Thuren or Carli. If you want to look good, go with AEV.

I agree that their suspension is kinda lame, but their front bumper is awesome and the big cutout fenders are nice as well. Everyone knows that if you are serious about off-roading in comfort or in control at higher speeds that Carli is the only way to go on a full size rig. I am patiently waiting for the 4.5" 2017+ F-250/350 kit to drop, any day now they tell me. I've almost purchased a custom shock BDS kit numerous times while waiting, the need to scratch the itch just keeps getting worse the longer it takes for Carli to get the kit out.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
their front bumper is awesome and the big cutout fenders are nice as well.
Have you priced those things from AEV? There are lots of bumper choices, but the PW does not really need a new bumper unless you are planning to hit critters on the highway. The factory winch mount is plenty stout and there is no good reason to relocate it to a new bumper. The best bumper for a PW (if you really need one) seems to be from Aluminess. Re cutout fenders, lots of PWs are running 37" tires on stock suspension with stock fenders, but some trucks require minor adjustments to fit 37s. Most stock PWs will run 35s with no problems and no mods.

Everyone knows that if you are serious about off-roading in comfort or in control at higher speeds that Carli is the only way to go on a full size rig.
Well, not everyone. Lots of us like Thuren stuff. My truck is a mix of Thuren and Carli components. Good thing about both companies is that they will both tell you if the other company has a better product for your specific needs. Thuren told me to use Carli rear spring packs, and Carli told me to use Thuren's tuned Fox shocks. If OP posts his PW questions on the PW Forum, he will get lots of good advice.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
AEV is pricey for sure, but people still buy it. I live in south Texas, we hit deer and 300+ lb hogs a lot more often than we prefer to. The stock bumper with the hidden winch is a nice perk from the factory, but at the end of the day it is nothing more than a cheap, flimsy, factory bumper with a winch mounted between the frame rails behind it. Not everyone will want or need a steel/aluminum bumper, but some of us demand one and eventually a rock, tree, or root will mangle a part of that factory bumper and then it'll be time to upgrade. Aluminess makes great products, a few of my buddies have them on their Ford E Series and Mercedes Sprinter Sportsmobiles. IMHO they are top of the heap when it comes to Vans, but their bumpers for full size domestic trucks don't even register in the top 5 or even top 10 of all of the options out there. The designs from an aesthetics point of view for their truck bumpers are awful.

Thuren is great if you have a Ram or Tundra, but you are SOL if you have a Ford or Chevy. I think Thuren makes a great product, but I still think Carli is a step above. Carli loves to keep their top end kits on the King gear so I could see them suggesting Thuren for a better Fox tuned shock. At the end of the day, we are very fortunate to have so many options when it comes to products for these vehicles, we are certainly living in exciting times for off-road accessories industry.

I know people who are running new Rams south of the border and not having any issues. I also know people running them in Africa also. What is the issue your concerned about.

I spent a day looking for information on new diesel trucks going down south. Other then Baja the only thing I was able to find was people saying that it voids the warranty of Ford and Ram and they don't recommend the LS diesel because it will gum up the system.

blackdmax15

Observer
I agree that their suspension is kinda lame, but their front bumper is awesome and the big cutout fenders are nice as well. Everyone knows that if you are serious about off-roading in comfort or in control at higher speeds that Carli is the only way to go on a full size rig. I am patiently waiting for the 4.5" 2017+ F-250/350 kit to drop, any day now they tell me. I've almost purchased a custom shock BDS kit numerous times while waiting, the need to scratch the itch just keeps getting worse the longer it takes for Carli to get the kit out.

Totally agree. I'm leaning towards the Pintop 2.5" if i go Ford/Carli. Seems to be perfect and under 6k which is nice for all of the options. Goal is for 37s and that should cover it. Good thing now is that damn hurricane is barreling towards my other home that has been for sale for a while. Let's hope for complete destruction or no harm done at all haha!

blackdmax15

Observer

Thank you for all of the links. Any thoughts on instead of going PW, just buy the run of the mill 4x4 6.4L Hemi? Priced out those are only 31-32k. The extreme price difference allows for a lot of modifications... Thoughts?

Betarocker

Adventurer
Washnwaxside.jpg

While I can't find fault with Carli's systems, you can't go wrong with Icon either. Couple with additional components from One up Offroad and you'll have a wicked truck.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
View attachment 417159

While I can't find fault with Carli's systems, you can't go wrong with Icon either. Couple with additional components from One up Offroad and you'll have a wicked truck.

I ran ICON on my last two Super Duty's, I enjoyed the quality of their kits, but I had issues with prematurely blown shocks on both. They always sent rebuild kits for free, but having to constantly take it to the shop to have them rebuilt and recharged was not fun. I felt like the ride was overly stiff as well. Icon was great when it was Donahue, since the change I feel like they got too big too fast and QC has suffered a bit because of it.
I have considered getting the BDS radius arm 4" kit, upgrading the rear shocks to Fox 2.0 smooth bodies and the fronts to Fox 2.5 external reservoirs with One Up Off-road reservoir mounts and Sulastic Shackles. I know Carli is the way to go simply for the valving in the shocks but aside from that everything is comparable in quality and performance. I don't plan on any high speed runs through the whoops (I have a RZR for that) so I am wondering if the Carli kit is necessary for my needs as an Overlander.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I run Fox shocks and dampers. Valving of the shocks is spot on for my system.

That's good to hear. I could literally save $1500+ by going with the One Up Off-road/BDS kit over Carli. I plan to lightly Overland this rig and I would say the it's a safe bet that combo will ride as well if not better than the OME kits that a lot of the F-250/250/Excursion guys are running for Overlanding rigs. I like the design of the Carli radius arms better than those from BDS, but those can be changed out in favor of the Carli version should I ever feel the need/itch. Once the redesigned track bar drops from Carli I can replace the factory track bar and BDS bracket as well. Decisions, decisions, I just don't want to regret a $3K suspension or wonder if I should have spent more for the Carli kit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior