Crapper-in-a-box: My solution to the toilet dilemma

goatherder

no trepidation
I outfitted a short bus for boondocking. One stipulation of my better half was the presence of a proper toilet, as she has to pee all the time and doesn't like to squat in the weeds. I didn't really want one in the bus...but I do like having her along (she likes to get nekkid outside) so I had to come up with something. After weeks of mulling this over I came up with an ideal solution for my situation. Maybe it might work for somebody else too.

It's a Thetford Curve porta-potti and baseplate (92360 & 92415) mounted inside a Hardigg military surplus shipping box. This box is JUST the right height to fit the toilet inside while mounted on it's baseplate. There is some space around the toilet for buttwipe, magazines, spare sandwiches, etc. The box is waterproof, made of thick sturdy plastic has a bunch of camlock clasps to retain the gasketed lid. I bolted mine to the rear deck on my bus, but with the gasketed box and seals inside the toilet I'm guessing it would be pretty odor-free even if mounted inside. I installed hinges on one side and a retainer strap to hold the lid vertical when in use.

Links to the box and toilet on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hardigg-23x23x20-Single-Lid-Roto-Molded-Extreme-Duty-Hard-Case-Green-with-foam/272608859726?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=thetford+curve+with+baseplate&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xthetford+curve+porta-potti.TRS0&_nkw=thetford+curve+porta-potti&_sacat=0

IMG_0607.jpg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm guessing there is enough room in the front to access the release for the potty?

Awesome idea, BTW!

That was my question too. Looks like the valve handle doesn't clear the side of the case, at least in this picture...

goatherder

no trepidation
There is plenty of clearance for everything that needs to happen. If there weren't, I never would have posted this thread.

That said, there is NO clearance between the top of the toilet and the inside of the lid. A soft cloth laid on top of the toilet before closing the lid might be a good idea, to keep the two from rubbing while under way.

Last edited:

E.J.

Explorer
Thanks for the inspiration, my wife has been bugging me for a potty solution we can use in our rtt annex with a low risk of smell or spillage. I saw some bad reviews for the curve concerning the battery powered flush mechanism so I went with a more basic non powered porti potti (260b). Found the perfect size hardigg case for it, 18"x18"15" but did not take into account how far the flush handle has to come out. There wasn't enough room in the case for that.
IMG_20171025_141500195.jpg

Well crap, that's not going to work. Started poking around amazon and found a good solution: a $12 kayak access hatch.
IMG_20171031_195410065.jpg
IMG_20171031_195326937_HDR.jpg
If it's water proof it should be scent proof right? Anyway I'm pretty happy how this turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online