AWD Chevy vibration - 50+mph

45Kevin

Adventurer
Another vote for u-joints here.
Just take off the two drive shafts and check/replace them.
The bad tires that you replaced are probably unrelated to the vibration.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Ok, been a while since I've updated. I had the tires all road force balanced. All were good. I don't remember the numbers, but all under 20 I think. So apparently that isn't the issue. I brought it to a local 4x4 shop that specializes in Land Rover work. Good people. I used to go out with them when I had my CJ7. They pulled the driveshafts and found the front rear shaft u-joint binding a little. They replaced both on the rear shaft and I gave it a try. The vibration changed. Became very present at 35-45+. Not sure why it changed like that but back it went and they sent the shafts out to check balance / true. The rear was bent. Had a small hop. The driveshaft shop rebuilt it with a new center section. Picked it up today and only drove a little. Snow storm here so the roads are ****ty. Initial impression is it's better. Hoping it is.

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Not to thread jack, but I have an intermittent vibration at freeway speeds since I lifted my Astro 4". If I floor it so it kicks down a gear or two, then lift the throttle, it usually goes away. I'm thinking it could be because I didn't lengthen the driveshafts when I did the lift. Does that make sense to anyone? Did you lift yours?

dleeallen

Adventurer
Mine is stock height still. Waiting to solve this first. I would check engine/trans mounts for movement. Thinking you are getting u joint angle change under load causing the vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motimbo

dleeallen ... Hope the rebuild did the trick.

RVflyfish ... You may want to look at the pinion angle at the rear diff. I've been lurking the Astro forums for a few years and remember reading some people have to install angled shims to rotate the differential when lifting over 2".

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Dleeallen and Motimbo, thank you both. I'll check the mounts. I also remember reading about shims on the Astro forums. I'll have to revisit there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier