AWD Chevy vibration - 50+mph

dleeallen

Adventurer
Curious if anyone has had similar issues with their AWD Chevy. Mine is a 2014 and has 105k miles. It's had a vibration at highway speeds since I bought it. The tires on it had some hop to them, like flat spots. So I replaced them with new 265/70R17 BFG AT KO2's. Vibration seemed to be better but not quite all the way resolved. I still have some at 40+mph. It's not shake the thing apart bad, but it's bad enough to annoy me after spending money on the tires. I've rotated the tires in hopes to feel it move and trace it down to one of the new tires but no luck. Always feel it in the seat, not in the steering wheel.

I swapped wheel/tires with a friend off his truck the other day and it seemed better, but again still a slight vibration around 50. He called it more of a wobble.

Yesterday I towed an empty 2-horse trailer. Guessing 3k pounds? The rear sagged a bit with it - maybe a couple inches. It still looked about level. Well that really made the vibration noticeable! 50-60mph was really bad. Heavy throttle might have been a little worse, but definitely still there on deceleration and coasting. Could push through and was much better above 60. The van sure is working a lot harder to keep it above 60 on these Vermont hills though!

When towing the vibration felt like rear initially but may have been more like under the seat. Still felt in seat bottom, steering wheel totally fine.

Any ideas?

Things I'm considering:
- road force balance of all tires
- pull driveshafts to check ujoints for binding
- have driveshafts checked for balance and straight

One of the techs (independent) that looked it over when I first bought it thought the front pinion bearing was loose. I took it to a Chevy dealer and they said no it was fine. That you had to isolate the bearing from the ring/pinion gear movement. The pinion seal is not leaking last I looked, so that makes me think that bearing is probably ok.

Curious what you all have run into with your vans.

Len.Barron

Observer
Whenever I have a problem like that I look at both the wheels and the driveshafts, the best way to do it is with a dial indicator, just jack up a tire at a time and set the dial indicator to run on a smooth vertical surface of the wheel and spin it, if you see more than about .005" TIR you have something going on (wheel bearing, bent axle shaft, bent wheel, etc..) the one thing that method won't catch is a bad ball/steering joint but you can just grab the tire and move it to find that.
You can do the same thing with the dial indicator for the driveshafts, you'll see a bit more out of them but it should be less than .010" TIR, more than that could be a bent/loose shaft or bad u-joints.
If you don't have access to a dial indicator you can rig up something with a pencil just touching the surface and then spin, you can use feeler gauges to measure any gaps..

old_man

Adventurer
After having done this for 45+ years, vibes at 50+ normally mean driveshaft. Pull it and have a shop check it for balance and being bent. It won't cost you that much if you pull it yourself. While you have it apart, go ahead and do the joints.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have battled with a similar vibe. I did the runout check on the wheels looking for bent wheels all were true. My next step is the drive line I hope to do that this winter. Im pretty confident the drive line is my source. I talked to my local shop guy. He said drive line balancing is a lost art. He said the last time he needed to check one and balance it after a guage check they couldnt find a single shop in our state that could do it. After a long search they bagged the idea and bought a new drive line and said that it cured the vibration by about 97%. He suspects the new drive line is slightly off also but no one does drive line balancing any more.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Thanks for all the responses! I'm definitely suspecting a driveshaft/u-joint too at this point. I tried to pop the rear driveshaft out to check for binding u-joints recently when I had it up on a lift at my buddies doing brakes but the caps were pretty stuck in the yoke. I chickened out on prying too hard since I didn't want to trash anything and be stuck with no way home. I will have to try again. I think it's also a good time for me to invest in a dial indicator.

Vermont tire in Montpelier does road force balancing if you go that way. Pinion angle will do it also. Have you changed anything on the ride hight

dleeallen

Adventurer
Vermont tire in Montpelier does road force balancing if you go that way. Pinion angle will do it also. Have you changed anything on the ride hight

I'm up in Burlington- I think they do it here too. All stock as far as I know. Was a government rig and I've wanted to get it sorted out before doing a lift.

I think I'll check u joints before spending the money on balancing again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dleeallen

Adventurer
Thanks. I'll check them out of it comes to that. I think my local big truck shop can balance them too so I'll check that first but it's nice to have options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
We had AWD Chevys at work for years with all sorts of driveline issues and the cure was usually changing the fluid in the tranny and tcase. Yes, weird but it worked. How many miles on your fluid? The fluid in the AWDs is prone to break down.

At first read my thought was lower and upper ball joints could be bad enough that the front tire is riding on the corners and would make a vibration if they were all terrain or more aggressive tread. It would be obvious though if any mechanic looked at it and the tread would be wearing severely uneven. Was once told the tire dips you mentioned can be caused by bad shocks.

dleeallen

Adventurer
Good ideas TexomaPowerboater. I'm nearly certain the front end is tight. Actually needs an annual state safety inspection so I'll found out soon enough. But balljoints are definitely not completely shot as I did brakes recently and gave it a shake down.

The original tires had single 'flat' spots on them. Almost like the brakes had locked up. Maybe the van slid sideways? Not sure what happened. It did have the the left front painted so maybe..

I agree shocks could cause a wear pattern on the tires. It would be all the way around though. More choppy than a single flat spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier