Hard Shell Roof Top Tent Mounting???

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
As I seem to have finally beaten all my gremlins, so I have decide to look into getting a hard shell Roof Tent. If I do I would like to ditch my front runner roof rack and mount the RTT as low As i could to the roof. Has anyone done this using the factory roof rails and some sore of custom cross bars? I would really like to have no more than 2" between the roof and the bottom of the tent.

jkatka

What is the static load capacity of those bars? I removed my mounting tracks in the rear 3/4 to put on a FR rack. The mounting method for the tracks seemed pretty stout. It seems like cross bars from Yakima racks might be a good solution if the Land Rover cross bars are not up to the task.

TMR

Really interested in what you end up doing. I live in a condo and so would love to be able to park underground with a hard shell rtt on top. Would be amazing to find something low profile and coupled with access height, would be the best of both worlds.

OH+D

I've used the Front Runner roof bars in this use case with good success. They are fairly low.

TMR

I've used the Front Runner roof bars in this use case with good success. They are fairly low.

Is this the setup you're referring to?

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/za/load-bars/roof-load-bar-kits/front-runner-load-bars-full-foot-rail-land-rover-discovery-lr3-lr4.html

land-rover-discovery-lr3-lr4-roof-load-bar-kit-foot-rail-mount-front-runner-KRLD016T-3.jpg

OH+D

No, the style I am referring to uses the standard OEM roof rail tracks. It does not have a third bar at the front of the vehicle, just the two at the back. Depending on the length, it may not be suitable for a hard shell but works extremely well with folding RTTs.

Adam

Jwestpro

Explorer
No, the style I am referring to uses the standard OEM roof rail tracks. It does not have a third bar at the front of the vehicle, just the two at the back. Depending on the length, it may not be suitable for a hard shell but works extremely well with folding RTTs.

Adam

Yeah hardshell will require a bar near the front. Not three but two with one near front. Note the roof and rails are not flat front to rear...they arc such that a flat item will create a gap at either end.

Full length factory rails plus flush mounted cross bars is what I'd do. Ideally for a little safety space between glass and bar I'd space the rear bar off the rail by 1/4" using an aluminum section of flat strap. Some simple fabrication is required...

Jwestpro

Explorer
As I seem to have finally beaten all my gremlins, so I have decide to look into getting a hard shell Roof Tent. If I do I would like to ditch my front runner roof rack and mount the RTT as low As i could to the roof. Has anyone done this using the factory roof rails and some sore of custom cross bars? I would really like to have no more than 2" between the roof and the bottom of the tent.

Actually, do you have any desire for true bridging ladders? Waffle boards will fit under the RTT if you use Thule or Yakima standard crossbar towers set onto the rails. With a two bar RTT set up, you could have 4 ladders up there for getting over ledges, etc.

They're also useful for leveling the vehicle during RTT camping or an outdoor shower floor. Mine tuck unde the Hannibal rack which is on 3 Yakima bars. Made a simple mounting I could show you.

IMG_9130.jpg

You should be able to zoom in enough to see the GREEN waffle boards but I think Mantec might also fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94