Mercedes Benz 310 4x4 1992 Alaska

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Not mine
https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/d/mercedes-benz-310-4x4/6288699375.html
Beautiful, low mileage, MB 310 for sale for your overland travel plans near or far. See the state or the world at 85 kilometers per hour!
This van was originally a crew transporter for a Swiss Fire Department so it spent most of its life inside being maintained by the department. It was sold to a gal who used it briefly to transport sled dogs in the Alps. The third owners upfitted the van and used it to start their 2-year overland travel adventure. The 310 is the grandfather to the current version of the Sprinter and is known for its longevity and reliability. There were approximately 900,000 of these vans made so parts are not unreasonable or scarce.
The van went from Zurich to Morocco and back for its shakedown run. It was then shipped across the Atlantic where it stopped briefly in Iceland to play before continuing on to Halifax. From Halifax, it worked its way along the Trans Labrador highway and onto Inuvik and then into Anchorage where the third owners changed their overland plans and that led to our good fortune in finding this rig.
The van was converted to 4 wheel drive by a Swiss company called Larag almost as soon as it came out of the factory. Of the two companies that did 4wd conversions on these vans, this is the more desirable as it uses Mercedes Benz parts from a G class SUV so all conversion parts are OEM.
The interior has been insulated and upfitted using an 80/20 style aluminum framing system. There is a queen size bed and a storage galore. The house power system includes a solar panel for passive charging and for AC power there is a small inverter. For heat there is a Webasto forced air furnace. There is a 10 gallon onboard water storage system with a pump and an alcohol stove for cooking and a refigerator. To air the tires up there is an onboard air compressor. For navigation/communication needs there is a Panasonic Toughbook with a touch screen. Outside the van there is a Oz Tent Foxwing awning with two side curtains and a wifi sniffer antenna so you can use public hotspots via a router integrated into the van. The interior and exterior of the van are setup with LED lights. There is an auxiliary 19 gallon fuel tank for longer range. There is a 2 person Swiss DMV equivalent certified bench seat. The seat certification paperwork is included. The van will come with many spare parts (listed below) and a full size spare tire.

We imported the van and registered it in Alaska. We have already spent a week camping out in the van and have fallen in love. Unfortunately, we really under estimated our space needs with 2 boys and 3 dogs. Asking $24,900- come make us an offer.

Included bits-Maxx Trax traction mats, externally mounted jerry can, external storage can, folding table, folding chairs, tool kit, owner's manual and service log, service instructions, tow strap, jumper cables, Mr funnel fuel filter, oil funnel, tire repair kit, grease gun, storage containers, axe, window shades, ventilation fan.

Spare Parts-Air filter, Oil Filters, Fuel filters, front and rear brake pads, spark plugs, ignition coil, Distributor cap, engine/transmission/power steering/brake/gear fluids, wiper blades, Coolant, fuel pump, alternator, serpentine belt, radiator cap, intake flange

Stats-1992 Mercedes Benx 310 (602.0) van with 2.3 liter gas engine (M102.945) and 4 speed automatic transmission. Also known as Bremer/ Transporter/T1
Larag 4wd drive conversion
OEM rear locking differential (manual)
48,xxx kilometers (30,xxx miles)

Some informational links:
Wiki for T1- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_TN

Other conversions https://www.pinterest.com/search/pi...benz 310 4x4&eq=mercedes benz 310&etslf=12370

German Language forum:
http://www.busfreaks.de/strohrum/mercedes-benz.html

Mercedes Benz Sprinter, Vanagon, Overland, Expedition, Camper Van, Delica, Hiace, eurovan, bus, samba, westfalia 00c0c_4gETIu1fPgC_600x450.jpg

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I saw that after I posted my thread. Some of us are better at making threads than others with titles, text and photos.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Anyone thinking of Overlanding West Africa, these things are *everywhere*.

A friend drove his across the DRC, then all the way back to Eruope. I bumped into him on his second time down the West Coast, still loving it.

-Dan

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
"see the world at 85 kph "

That's 53 mph, probably top speed for this sort of bus. Perfect for West Africa and most of Alaska...

here's the other thread about this vehicle
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/176012-Very-interesting-Mercedes-4x4-van

The speculation is that the transmission needs a rebuild.

That's always the thing with ex-Military and similar Bund vehicles. Life in the Southwest means looooooong stretches of freeway between home and many destinations, so I'm always hesitant to consider a vehicle with such a low cruising speed.

Not familiar enough with the gas engines to know how much headroom a new owner might have with diff gearing and/or larger tires to improve top speed, but I wonder if there's anything that could be done during a transmission rebuild to improve things?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've owned a couple of similar MB vans. A 307d in Europe and a 409d in the USA. Their top speed is too low for highway travel in the USA in my opinion. Not sure how easy it would be to change the transmission/engine combo. Most of the engines in these were small enough that just increasing the gear ratios would help much as the engine didn't have the power to push the vehicle at higher speeds. The '10' in this vehicle is higher than the '9' in mine which means it has 10 more hp than my 409d which had 90 hp. They have a deserved reputation for rusting easily also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz