Basic sewing kit

eaneumann

Adventurer
Not sure if this is the best section for this thread. I'm looking for a basic sewing kit that would cover all of my gear. I've never sewn anything, but am 100% sure I could figure it out if I had some basics. This thought was sparked when my dog jumped threw the screen on my roof tent. It's a very clean tear along one line of tiny squares in the screen about 2 feet long. I'm sure I could fix it if I knew what to use. I was hoping to find a sweat manly sewing kit in a ************ leather bag. Only found pink ones with tiny useless thread in them.

Edit: this would be for field repairs only. Not making my own gear!

krick3tt

Adventurer
I think for repairs like that you would use a curved needle, most often used for upholstery. The one I use is rather small and works great for tight areas. A local sewing store would be able to kit you up if you tell them what your needs are. Get a thimble as well to push the needle through thicker types of fabric.
Sewing is not a difficult thing to learn and if you mention that you are truly a novice I bet the folks at the sewing store would be willing to give you a quick lesson or two.
Most of the sewing items I buy are from Joann's and I think most cities have one.
Once you get good maybe you can make your own bag. I use an old tire patch tube can and keep it in the Rover...or get a plastic see through box from a fly shop. Buy good thread, cotton upholstery thread comes to mind.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I used the one from Amazon to repair the fabric top on my Pinzgauer. Works well but a bit tricky. Good choice for a heavy duty sewing job.

justrom

Adventurer
Good luck, the mesh is pretty tough to sew. You'll want to use one of the small needles and fine thread with really small stitches. Don't pull it too tight or the seam will pucker up along the tear.

My field repair kit for fabric stuff is
- Speedy Stitch Awl with heavy canvas needles and waxed thread
- A spool of Nylon Upholstery Thread (heavier than 'normal' thread)
- A couple of hand sewing needles (straight and curved) big enough for the nylon thread
- A couple sewing machine needles (they fit into the Speedy Stitch handle and let it use the nylon thread)
- A medium Fix'n Zip replacement zipper slide
- A 1oz tube of Seam Grip
- A roll of Kenyon Tape or Tenacious Tape (use a tape patch to cover a hole then Seam Grip around the edges of the patch)
- A ThermaRest patch kit and glue
- Screen Patches (sticky to fix rips in the mesh)

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I always travel with a couple of kits I've built up over time.

My main travel kit is tiny (fits into one of those small pill bottles, like for Dramamine) and includes a spare button, a few colors of thread, thimble, etc. Most importantly, it also includes a needle with a very large eye so that I can easily thread dental floss into it. I have twice finished very long trips with a cordura backpack sewn back together with dental floss.

My "vehicle" kit also includes a curved upholstery needle, as mentioned above. (Not in my main kit just because of size issues.)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Front desk at hotels give away tiny sewing kits to travelers needing them. Small as a pack of matches.

kerry

Expedition Leader
X2 on the Speedy Stitch. Used it for a lot of stuff. I need to get a fine needle threader. Now that I wear progressive lenses it's damn hard to thread a needle. Sewing is getting to be a lost art. Today I was surprised to learn that Denver Fabrics no longer has a brick and mortar store. When I was a teenager, most of the women and girls I knew sewed. It's a pretty satisfying skill on a par with woodworking.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've got the little military sewing kit linked. Good kit, handles everything I've ever needed it for. I'm sure it won't work for restitching heavy duty canvas or leather, but damage to that I'm not really expecting to patch on the trail anyway. Like you it's mostly clothing damage, or tent fabrics.

altaboy

Observer
X3 on the Speedy Stitch: Been using it since mid 70's. The thing just works. For finer work, I use.........duct tape:coffeedrink:

Louisd75

Adventurer
x4 on the speedy stitch. It works with regular sewing machine needles along with the heavy duty needles that it comes with. I don't usually carry the bobbin that comes with the speedy stitch, just feed the thread right off the spool through the hole. I've found that adding a rubber band around the speedy stitch handle over the thread can help keep tension on the thread.

For things that the speedy stitch can't handle I carry a small set of sewing needles and a straight set of larger heavier duty needles. The bigger needles can be very difficult to use without a sewing palm. In a pinch you can use a pair of pliers, but you'll toast the needle in the process. I'd recommend not getting the biggest needles out there. They're likely overkill for anything you'd be sewing on the road and they leave big holes behind in coated materials.

The main stitch I do with the straight needles is a baseball stitch as the speedy stitch can't really do it. The baseball stitch allows you to butt two pieces of fabric with no overlap. I use it for stuff like tears where you're just putting it back together, not trying to install a patch. I may patch over it if I feel that the extra strength would be helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke