Vehicle Mapping, GPS, Emergency Comms, setup Help

JamesY

I am just delving into the GPS, comms, mapping topic and reading through these threads (and most overland threads actually) it seems that there is no 'one answer fits all' for almost any topic. So, I thought I would lay out my info and get some feedback.

I want a fairly clean setup that will cover me for GPS, mapping, and emergency contact. I am fairly tech savvy but wanted to avoid doubling up on areas if possible.

We are travelling 'all the way round' So, Americas, Africa, Europe, Asia. And need something that covers all bases. Very much driving, rather than hiking based and from Back Country to City driving.

We were considering the Garmin InReach Explorer for emergency comms, but the mapping would be preferable on a larger screen for driving. Had considered an iPad but not sure which maps to run with and I am starting to double up on emergency contact and maps / GPS. The Garmin Montana is smaller, has maps but is it much better than the In Reach if I would need both anyway.

I currently have an iPhone 7+ and a MacBook Pro.

I would prefer not to have a dashboard that looks like a NASA control room. So, what are the recommendations for a system that works in all those areas, covers my mapping, GPS, emergency contact, bases and will help ensure I don't get lost (too often)?

if you were to start from scratch on a similar journey, what would you use?

Thanks in advance for you info and help. Much appreciated.

Stryder106

Explorer
Couldn't you use an InReach and pair it to a tablet with Earthmate? I actually am pretty redundant given I have purchased things one at a time over the last 3 years - so I have a Lowrance with Topo maps, InReach, and a Yaesu FTM-400/XDR radio with GPS in it. But the Lowrance paired to my i7 come with me when out of the vehicle on hikes.

JamesY

Thanks, is there a reason that people get a GPS device plus a tablet or similar that already has GPS on it? (Ignoring the InReach emergency / messaging options).

Everyone seems to be tethering a GPS to a tablet. Is the GPS simply better and more accurate on a Garmin for example or is there more to it.

dlh62c

Explorer
You can't beat a GPS that can show you where your at, point you with directions to where you want to go and if you have tracking turned on and displayed, where you've been all at the same time.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Thanks, is there a reason that people get a GPS device plus a tablet or similar that already has GPS on it? (Ignoring the InReach emergency / messaging options).

Everyone seems to be tethering a GPS to a tablet. Is the GPS simply better and more accurate on a Garmin for example or is there more to it.

I use a separate GPS unit for a couple reasons...but I don't think it is required with a GPS enabled tablet unless the location of the tablet in the vehicle prevents good reception and in that case I might just get a sand alone GPS receiver antenna. (can't think of the technical name right now...need more coffee)

(1) The main one was I have had one for decades...even before I started mapping on a laptop and needed it to be the GPS for the laptop program (Nat Geo TOPO) started that about 15 years ago I guess. Now This past year I finally got into the tablet mapping.

(2) I use the GPS for geocaching, hiking so I can find the truck again as most of my hiking is bushwhacking, Help find interesting points along the hike such as old mines, cabins, lakes/ponds etc. that I have prelocated through Google Earth or other means that you have to hike to, and when hunting I use it to mark locations of good blinds, downed game and such.

A separate GPS isn't needed for mapping with a GPS enabled tablet but it has it's benefits for me.

The GPS and tablet look to be plenty close to each other as best I can tell. I haven't actually looked to compare the actual coordinates between the two.

Darrell

Umbrarian

Observer

Legacy for me. I had a Garmin and it still works. So I still use it. As my iPad does not have GPS, I need an external GPS to connect to it via Bluetooth. The iPad is nice as it is big screen and easy to read. For your needs "Americas, Africa, Europe, Asia" you might need more than a tablet as they might not have cell service to D/L maps of some of the regions in those areas.

JamesY

you might need more than a tablet as they might not have cell service to D/L maps of some of the regions in those areas.

Does the Inreach download maps via satellite? I had planned on ensuring I was stocked with the relevant maps prior to moving on out of cell service but if there is a satellite option if I don't have something then that would be great.

I have an iPhone 7+, which has a fairly large screen. I am usually happy using that for GPS directions in Canada / USA. That could mean I don't need an iPad at all. Obviously a bigger screen is nicer but in an attempt to reducle clutter and yet more electronics it could work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles