Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HOLY CRAPOLY! Badlands 12000lb Winch on Sale for $290 !!!

@rayra - WTF? Are you a complete illiterate? Or are you just another troll on what is usually a pretty good website? My original post stated my advice was, "My advice: Go for a decent quality winch and learn how to rig properly." I didn't demand obedience to Warn. The point being that proper winching and proper rigging can make a decent quality winch that has a smaller capacity every bit as good as a heavier capacity winch that is poorly made and won't last long. Sounds like horrible advice ... and I'm not your brother. Man, some people can be totally stupid when they troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinz View Post
    @rayra - WTF? Are you a complete illiterate? Or are you just another troll on what is usually a pretty good website? My original post stated my advice was, "My advice: Go for a decent quality winch and learn how to rig properly." I didn't demand obedience to Warn. The point being that proper winching and proper rigging can make a decent quality winch that has a smaller capacity every bit as good as a heavier capacity winch that is poorly made and won't last long. Sounds like horrible advice ... and I'm not your brother. Man, some people can be totally stupid when they troll.
    well so much for that. All bile and no funny bone. Goodbye.
    My '02 Sub Build / Collection Topic
    Vortec and GMT800 Mechanical Stuff
    Silnylon vehicle awning design - Mk1 DONE
    Some of my Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
    You might want to check out where the $500 Warns are made, take a wild guess.
    At E.J. - Well, you are sorta correct. Only the VR series.
    OK show me a new US made 9000lb Warn winch for $500 then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    ready for an expodition
    2005 Nismo Frontier 4x4 CC

Wow EJ. I apologize for using an example. You guys must really hate Warn. Maybe I should have said, "I suggest a decent quality winch like Superwinch, Tuff-Stuff, Rugged Ridge, etc. Should I list all of them? I don't want you thinking that I endorse those three. Personally, I'm using a 9000 lb. Warn on a small military truck ... 24V. because of the 24V, I get way faster line speed, but I will eventually burn up the motor if I don't watch it. There are a lot of variables in winching. The capacity of the winch is just one of them. Here's another opinion on the matter: (taken from a winching forum)

"9000LBS Vrs. 10-12000lbs pulling power? More must be better right? Not always.

For pulling power you will see quite a few winches looking the same but one having 9000lbs and the other 10-12000lbs. The reason they look the same is they are in every way, except for the gear ratio. The manufacturer simply lowers the gear ratio to make the higher pulling power. The trade off is the line speed is slowed. Slow line speed is not always a good thing in a time where you need the winch and need it now. Look at line recovery rates and go with the fastest, yet what power is needed for your truck. FJC for example 9000lbs is outstanding for our 4500lbs trucks. The line speed is quick and you can always use a snatch block to double back if you need more pulling power.

Winch pulling power ratings are always at the last few wraps on the drum. Most of us will never pull all the line out just to get to that point, but that is where you need to go for maximum power. (Yes proper winching is pulling quite abit of line off, etc. but thats more tech on how to use the winch)

Also remember no matter WHAT winch you go with, pre-stretch your line after you install it. Pull all the line off down to the last 3-4 wraps on the drum. Hook up to a large object and slowing pull your truck forward with the winch under load. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and use the brakes (not all the way)* to create resistance. Give the winch a few brakes in the process to cool a bit. Last 5' or so just put that on with out any pulling pressure so its easy to access when you need it."

*In a pinch I have used the e-brake to create a "drag" brake when I had to tension the line on my own. Not the safest way.

Woah relax, I was just finding it humorous that you specifically pointed out that badlands winches are made in China in the same breath that you were suggesting another Chinese made winch. Irony.
    FWIW I've got a Chinese made Superwinch waiting to get mounted to my truck, Warn VR was up for consideration but the Superwinch was a better deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    ready for an expodition
    2005 Nismo Frontier 4x4 CC

Thanks for posting the Coupon! Went yesterday and bought one. Been looking at them and reading reviews and watching youtube videos for a while. Now just need to get the other bits and pieces to mount it on the Montero.
    MKR

The response you received from me was in response to the tone of your post. I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of various witches. I started it to post a coupon for anyone who chose to buy this winch. You apparently didn't grasp this, and came off as an arrogant brick. Just another ignorant yokel know-it-all who ASSumed that because I was promoting an economical winch I knew nothing.

FYI as a ship captain, and long time Bering Sea fisherman, with many years on deck aboard large industrial fishing trawlers, I can guarantee you that I know way more about rigging than you do. Winches too. When you're towing nets that strain 3 acres of ocean, and hauling 120 ton bags of fish up on deck, you learn about this stuff.
    I've had a harbor freight 9000 winch on my jeep for a few years now. I don't use it all the time, but whenever I do it performs just like it should. And has given no indication that it will not continue to do so. So that, at least in my mind, tells me that this product is pretty well suited for what I'm using it for. As would be the 12,000, if I was to buy that and stick it on the front of my bus.
    So feel free to use the coupon if you're interested. If not, take your BS somewhere else

'Parking lot sale' price on these starts tomorrow / friday, they're advertised at $279.99
    My '02 Sub Build / Collection Topic
    Vortec and GMT800 Mechanical Stuff
    Silnylon vehicle awning design - Mk1 DONE
    Some of my Woodworking

Sweet another $10 off!

I've had my eye on the the two below, the 9500 is more than enough winch for almost all the vehicles on this site. I've seen the 12k one drop down to $449 a couple of times in the past month. I think its a better deal than the Badlands since it comes with synthetic rope, but its hard to beat Harbor Freights warranty I've never had an issue returning something that was within the warranty period.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150ZNG...=2HTBEUTMOK166

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K150ZJA...=2HTBEUTMOK166
    Chris K.

99' UZJ100 - SOLD
    2010 Tundra - SOLD
    2013 Landcruiser

For anyone thinking about going this route that is a Costco member or has friends who are...they have a Champion 12K with integrated solenoid, mounting cradle, snatch block and cover for $369 and they'll ship it for $10. I don't have one to know for sure, but I would bet this is just as good (maybe slightly better than) the one from HF. Certainly comes with a nice assortment of accessories for the $$$.

The only argument I would make for brand name over generic is parts availability. I know I can get parts for Warn, Ramsey, Superwinch etc. The HF, Champion, et al? No idea how to get parts. I'm sure they are out there, but tracking them down might be iffy. If you don't use it all that often? You'll probably be fine.

For the money, the Milemarker Hydraulic is unbeatable IMHO. It may be slow, but it is nearly impossible to stall and has basically no amp draw. The darned thing will drag my truck on asphalt with all 4 tires locked. (Of course when that happens I have to shut it down right away as I don't want to see what happens if you find a way to over load one!) The down side is cost, weight, and your engine HAS to be running to power it. No pulling yourself off the trail if you have engine problems. I use might as a work tool vs. trail tool. It would pull my 1/2 ton up a building if I let.
    2006 LJ Rubicon. 3" SA lift, 1" BL, skids on everything, mostly set up for long excursions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/monele1

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast