Lowly the Lorry. . .

Sitec

Adventurer
Nothing like pressure to push you along!! How heavy is all that hydraulic stuff? I had a small 24v motor, with a pump, tank and hydraulic valving, and it was as much as I could do to pick it up on my own...

Nothing like pressure to push you along!! How heavy is all that hydraulic stuff? I had a small 24v motor, with a pump, tank and hydraulic valving, and it was as much as I could do to pick it up on my own...
Not sure the total weight but it is substantial. Thankfully I'm able to mount the components piecemeal therefore reducing the chances of destroying my back in the process of installing that mess. Trying to connect that many hydraulic hoses felt like wrestling a pit full of pythons!

- Sheik

Lowly Update:

The truck batteries I had to purchase and get installed from 1/2 a world away (while Lowly was hanging out at a Welsh RV park) had sat long enough in the shop without being tended and no longer want to play nice; cue cash register sound.

With fresh batteries installed I had to chase down an electrical gremlin in the stand-alone hydraulic power unit that powers the cab tilting cylinder. I had apparently been too enthusiastic while removing its control box from the truck's rear box and broke an internal switch.

I also took the time to pump and vacuum out Lowly's diesel tank as it got a bunch of dirt and metal shavings down its filler tube while I was dismantling the back of the truck.

Fresh diesel was added and Lowly fired up on the first try; I'm always amazed at how well diesel engines handle a certain amount of neglect.

I adjusted belt tension on the alternator to keep the power steering pump from skipping - with no power steering this truck is nearly impossible to turn with so much weight over the front axle!

Tidied up a few more pneumatic lines, reinstalled his original tail lights onto a piece of lumber bolted across the back of the chassis, and added a lumber/plywood flatbed deck to the back for hauling purposes. This jalopy is coming along nicely!

IMG_5288.JPG

Tomorrow should see me an' Lowly back out on the open road headed for the Maple Leaf border.

- Shiek

Last edited:
Trip Recap:

Distance traveled: 1115 miles
Total diesel consumed: lost track
Estimated fuel economy: 9 miles/gal
Number of miles driven across the Columbia River I-205 Bridge dragging my exhaust pipe: 3+
Hours spent driving without earplugs with truck's exhaust exiting directly beneath cab: 10
Hours required for hearing to return to normal : TBD
Hours spent waiting at US customs office for paperwork to process: 2.5+
Number of dropped cell phone calls placed from US customs area to import broker due to lack of coverage: lost track
Number of documents required by US customs for importation purposes: 4 (DOT HS7, EPA 3520, CBP 7501, CBP 3495)
Gallons of diesel delivered by tow truck after running empty: 4
Cost of delivered diesel: $90
Miles remaining to nearest fuel station when truck ran empty: 3
Number of priming/starting attempts after diesel was added to tank: 4
Number of prayers spoken for truck to start: 4
Number of replacement front seats sourced in Portland: 2
Number of times I was asked if Lowly was a Unimog: 2
Number of permanently imported trucks achieved: 1
Number of trips like this I plan on making in the future: 0

- Sheik

Last edited:
Lowly Update:

Parabolic springs arrived via sea freight from Germany. Ordered on December 2nd, delivered to Southern Oregon on March 17th. Needless to say, a Super Mario Bros warp tube was not used in the delivery of these springs!

Who better to pick them up from the delivery point than Lowly himself?
IMG_5514.JPG
IMG_5521.JPG

Not the best packing job; it appears the initial pallet buckled & broke under the substantial weight and it finished the trip on a second pallet. Despite the subpar packing job they arrived none the worse for wear.

Harald at DFF Ferden in Germany was great to deal with despite the language barrier. He worked to identify the correct springs for Lowly and modified the quote a couple times to accommodate my order's components. Here is the cost breakdown:

Front Springs + Rear Springs + Hardware + Sea Freight = 3776.20 Euro ($4783.58)

Here's what you get for that sort of pocketbook hit:

IMG_5540.JPG

Do they fit on Lowly? Stay tuned.

- Sheik

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles