Lowly the Lorry. . .

mog,

good to connect with you and nice to have someone close who is doing something crazy like me. I'll have to swing by sometime and check out your wheel/tire conversion.

- Sheik

CALLING MERCEDES TRUCK EXPERTS:

Based on research, it is quite likely that my truck was bodied by an aftermarket coach builder. This might create a time gap between the time the truck was constructed by MB and when it was first registered. If this is the case then I'd like to figure out when the truck was constructed as it might allow me to permanently import in the USA sooner.

My UK registration documents disclose the truck's "Date of first registration in the UK" as October 24, 1995. Is there anywhere on the truck (VIN, Frame Stamp, etc.) that might provide a clue as to when the truck was actually constructed by MB? If such a identifier exists, how would I go about cracking its code to determine the underlying information?

I ask all of this because the USA has a vehicular age policy of 25 years or older for importing a vehicle like mine permanently. The 25 years is based on manufacture. If I can prove an earlier manufacture date then I can get it into the USA sooner rather than later.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

- Sheik

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Well, I am sure these are usually done on Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwings and such, but perhaps worth a try?
Heck just to give Hans in the research department a 'Was zur Hölle ist los' moment might be worth it.
It does say "any Mercedes-Benz, new or old"

The Mercedes-Benz Classic Center has launched a Classic Certificate program. Not unlike Porsche‘s Certificate of Authenticity process, the Classic cert verifies and documents the build date and original factory specifications of any Mercedes-Benz, new or old. It comes professionally bound in a black case, and ordering one also registers the current owner’s name with the factory, making it part of the car’s official history–all for just $100. Have you’re VIN handy and call 866/MB-CLASSIC (866/622-5277).

An FYI: I ran your VIN and it showed a delivery date of Jan 30, 1995. To check that I ran my VIN and it reported Dec. 31, 1979 that pretty much matches up the with my truck's log books
https://www.vindecoderz.com/

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

You could try buying a years access to the Mercedes EPC Net online info tool.

That may help, or ask for someone with access to look up your chassis number if the date is all you want.

You may find it handy for part ID too.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hi

You could try buying a years access to the Mercedes EPC Net online info tool.

That may help, or ask for someone with access to look up your chassis number if the date is all you want.

You may find it handy for part ID too.

I looked up Lowly the Lorry's VIN on both the EPC and WIS and it came up on both. I did not see any 'dates', but I am a very new using those programs. Any tips as to finding the date would be appreciated.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
I looked up Lowly the Lorry's VIN on both the EPC and WIS and it came up on both. I did not see any 'dates', but I am a very new using those programs. Any tips as to finding the date would be appreciated.

I'm fairly sure that others that post in this section are familiar with using it. I only used it once ages ago so I hope it will help to find a date but personally I've no idea how. Or try the Mog section of Benzworld?

Edited- it might also depend on how "manufactured" is defined?

Back from holiday down in Utah getting some quality time in on my mountain bike.

I've been hitting the phones upon my return in order to try and nail down exactly when the truck was manufactured (info I didn't have) versus when it was first registered in the UK (info plainly listed on the UK registration certificate).

I first called Mercedes Benz Classics - no luck as they reportedly don't have info on commercial vehicles of Lowly's type.
They directed me to Diamler Trucks USA - no luck as they don't have info on vehicles of Lowly's age.
They directed me to Mercedes Benz Sprinter USA - no luck as they don't have info on vehicles of Lowly's age or location (Europe).
They directed me to a Mercedes Benz UK dealer - they were able to look up Lowly's UK registration number and verify that his manufacture release date coincided with his UK registration date: October 1995

So, the glimmer of hope that Lowly was manufactured at an earlier date than he was shown registered in the UK (allowing me to import directly in the USA) has been extinguished and I'm left with shipping him into Canada.

I'm in the process of getting in-country shipping quotes to transport from his storage place in the idyllic countryside near Gloucester to Port Southampton for an Atlantic crossing on a Roll-On-Roll-Off (RORO) ship.

If anyone over in that part of the UK has the desire and know-how to play the part of transporter and/or on-site mechanic to swap out possibly faltering batteries, let me know.

Stay tuned!

- sheik

thebigblue

Adventurer
I curious, why did you buy a RHD vehicle in order to import it into a LHD country?

I own a 1979 MB L608D ex-firetruck with a similar (very)extended cab, cab seats nine persons and easily fits a double bed behind the front seats.

thebigblue,

I'm not too picky on what side the steering wheel is on. Yes, there will be times when it is not too convenient but I don't plan on going thru too many drive-thrus or taking very many toll roads in this truck! I also hope that Lowly won't spend the rest of his life in a LHD country, but will roam around countries where he will feel more at home (UK, Australia, etc.).

- Sheik

Export/Import Update:

If Lowly is leaving UK soil in the near future it will be headed toward Canada; the USA is not an option because he is too young (1995) but Canada only has a 15 year-old vehicle stipulation compared to the US 25 year-old rule.

Due to his size, the truck will have to travel via a Roll-On-Roll-Off (RORO) ship from Southampton England to Halifax Canada. From there he will somehow be transported across the continent to British Columbia and closer to where I currently reside.

Here is some more info I've dug up recently and double checked for what I'm attempting to do:

CANADIAN TRANSPORTATION OFFICE: Only cares if the vehicle is 15 years old or older, must provide proof of vehicle age. Me being a non-Canadian is not an issue.
CANADIAN CUSTOMS: It is legal for a non-Canadian to "Officially Import" (i.e. permanently import) a vehicle into Canada with a Bill of Sale, Registration Documentation and proof of vehicle's age. 6.1% + 5% duties & taxes charged on Bill of Sale value.
CANADIAN INSURANCE: Each province has its own rules but the government-run British Columbia Insurance Entity (ICBC) will register & insure a vehicle for a non-Canadian. 12.1% tax charged on Bill of Sale value. Proof of vehicle's age required.

I have yet to get a quote from a BC Insurance provider (who report to ICBC) on what the going rate for insuring a MB 1124 retired fire truck is; should be interesting. Stay tuned.

- Sheik

Sitec

Adventurer
Shipping.

Hi fella.

If you are looking into shipping, you should talk to Chris Singleton at All World Freight. He deals with RoRo freight out of Southampton. I have just recently shipped a tractor from the UK to Australia. PM me an email address and I can send you his details if ya like. :)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Wow, it sure seems like Canada is very accommodating with importation, registration, and insurance. How nice!
Canada might be different, but 'Fire trucks' have no duty charge when imported into the USA. You might want to check if the Great White North is the same.

Question for UK readers:

Is there a special license or endorsement required to drive a vehicle like mine on the roads in the UK?

I'm in the process of arranging transport from its current storage facility to the shipping port and have a friend who could assist, but not if it takes anything beyond a typical vehicle operator's license.

- Sheik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles