Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowly the Lorry. . .

UPDATE:

Lowly now sits peacefully at the vehicle storage facility after another wire transfer (cha-ching!) and a ride on a low-boy trailer (cha-ching!). Now I have a little breathing room/time to wrap my head around getting it out of the UK and headed someplace closer to home. Thanks for all of the feedback, well-wishes, offers of help and tips so far!

- Sheik

IMG_1406 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1409 - Copy.JPG

While I wade thru the morass of exporting/importing the truck from the UK into Canada, I can't help but think about starting the conversion process.

I'm hoping to convert the rear axel from dualies to single tires on each side. If possible I prefer to swap the entire axel to a proper single rather than use the dually axel and jury rig the wheels/brake shrouds.

Has anyone on these forums done an axel swap on this type of truck before? Does anyone know of a good source/supplier for this type of endeavor? Any reason why I should stay away from this modification?

- Sheik

The Mercedes truck axles do not come in single/dual tyre configuration. Applications which require single tyres just use a wheel offset to suit. I would talk to someone like Helgeth or Vraking to arrange suitable wheels.

I presume that it will not be an issue for a truck of your age, but newer Mercedes trucks with disk breaks sometime cannot easily convert to smaller diameter wheels due to the size of the rotors. I expect that your truck will have drums.
    http://jimthetruck.blogspot.co.uk/
    Mercedes 1823 4x2
    ex brinks cash-in-transit truck

Congratulations!
    I just bought a 1017AF (I cheated and took the easy way as it was only 35 miles from my house and already had been converted to super singles), so I'll be watching your progress.
    It is nice yours is a newer model with much more power. And it is GREAT that it has the winch!
    I have a Fuso FG that is ahead of it in line for a camper conversion, as I already have a set of Total Composite (out of Vancouver BC) panels for its conversion.
    Is your truck's final destination in Oregon? (I'm in Southern Oregon).

Mine:
    1017small.jpg

I just read this thread, this truck is a very nice base to buid a camper, we also keep in mind , my wife and me but it was impossible to found one here in Spain, we found some renault magirus, similar but not whit the same quality, my opinion, congrats for the truck and good luck in yor project, I allready build my cabine by myself , in case do you need some info let me know

mog,

good to connect with you and nice to have someone close who is doing something crazy like me. I'll have to swing by sometime and check out your wheel/tire conversion.

- Sheik

CALLING MERCEDES TRUCK EXPERTS:

Based on research, it is quite likely that my truck was bodied by an aftermarket coach builder. This might create a time gap between the time the truck was constructed by MB and when it was first registered. If this is the case then I'd like to figure out when the truck was constructed as it might allow me to permanently import in the USA sooner.

My UK registration documents disclose the truck's "Date of first registration in the UK" as October 24, 1995. Is there anywhere on the truck (VIN, Frame Stamp, etc.) that might provide a clue as to when the truck was actually constructed by MB? If such a identifier exists, how would I go about cracking its code to determine the underlying information?

I ask all of this because the USA has a vehicular age policy of 25 years or older for importing a vehicle like mine permanently. The 25 years is based on manufacture. If I can prove an earlier manufacture date then I can get it into the USA sooner rather than later.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

- Sheik

Well, I am sure these are usually done on Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwings and such, but perhaps worth a try?
    Heck just to give Hans in the research department a 'Was zur Hölle ist los' moment might be worth it.
    It does say "any Mercedes-Benz, new or old"

The Mercedes-Benz Classic Center has launched a Classic Certificate program. Not unlike Porsche‘s Certificate of Authenticity process, the Classic cert verifies and documents the build date and original factory specifications of any Mercedes-Benz, new or old. It comes professionally bound in a black case, and ordering one also registers the current owner’s name with the factory, making it part of the car’s official history–all for just $100. Have you’re VIN handy and call 866/MB-CLASSIC (866/622-5277).

An FYI: I ran your VIN and it showed a delivery date of Jan 30, 1995. To check that I ran my VIN and it reported Dec. 31, 1979 that pretty much matches up the with my truck's log books
    https://www.vindecoderz.com/
    Last edited by mog; 09-27-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: added VIN info

Thanks mog! Its at least worth a call in to hear a German laugh.

Stay tuned. . .

- Sheik

Quote Originally Posted by jaleel_da_sheik View Post
    Thanks mog! Its at least worth a call in to hear a German laugh.

Stay tuned. . .

- Sheik
    Good luck with both the VIN and getting a laugh
    light.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast