Lowly the Lorry. . .

Count Coconut

Judging you from afar
Hello from Canada

When you get the time. (good luck with that, as I can see) Have a look at OutHEREadventure.com. It's a Canadian online overland magazine that has resource pages and information about travelling across Canada.

Who are you using in Halifax for import help and insurance?

Cheers!

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Really interested in how all this works out. We are from the USA but will be getting back next summer after taking over 6 years to sail around the world. Our next goal is an overland rv (to head back out again) and after months of research still not finding the "perfect" chassis to start a build with. The idea of importing a 25+ year old truck into the USA is a bit concerning, but a 15 year old into Canada as a USA citizen sounds pretty interesting. A low mileage 917 AF looks like it might be a great fit.

SHIPPING UPDATE. . .

If my sources are correct, Lowly now sits snuggly inside the belly of a RORO ship called the "Galveston Highway". For those of you who don't know what a RORO looks like, here is a picture of said ship:

GALVESTON HIGHWAY.jpg

After getting loaded in Bristol, England the ship appears to be port-hopping its way to Halifax, Canada. It has made a stop in Southampton, England, crossed the English Channel and looks to be stopping next in Zeebrugge, Belgium. Here is a website for anyone wanting to follow along from the comfort of your desk chair:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...53100000/imo:9675573/vessel:GALVESTON_HIGHWAY

- Sheik

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
:wings: CONGRATULATIONS :wings:

Although zooming in on the ship, your truck looks a little precarious in that lifeboat davit, maybe they should move it inside, or is that how you got a good deal on shipping?

gh.jpggh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:wings: CONGRATULATIONS :wings:

Although zooming in on the ship, your truck looks a little precarious in that lifeboat davit, maybe they should move it inside, or is that how you got a good deal on shipping?

View attachment 425090

Actually, I was able to get a discount on shipping because they were wanting to test out a new way of using vehicular cargo to ballast the ship - something about my truck being excessively heavy? It also will allow for them to still unload the truck in the event he doesn't start up in Halifax. :)

mog, if this retired life thing doesn't work out for you, you could always get a job with your spectacular photoshop skills!

- Sheik

US/CANADA Overland Vehicle Insurance. . .

Calling all US & Canadian Overland Expedition Camper style vehicle owners:

Who is your insurance carrier for your rig's vehicle insurance?

Due to the complexity of my situation (US citizen trying to get an ex-fire truck insured in Canada for a cross-continental drive) I'm running into dead-ends for obtaining insurance. Hoping to hear who you are insured through so I can make calls and hopefully find someone willing to insure my rig.

Funny how I've heard from many an insurance agent "you can insure anything for a price", but have yet to find one willing to write a policy for my situation.

- Sheik

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Progressive, Farmers and Allstate have all written policies for my Fuso, no problem as it is an 'RV' (with an Oregon title to back that claim). Otherwise, the VIN shows a 'commercial vehicle'.
Hagarty will insure 'Firetrucks', they even have a 'clicky box' for that type vehicle. It runs about $450 per year for a declared $20,000 value.
FYI, Hagarty will not let you 'undervalue' your truck to save money (a $3,000 value is only $115 per year). They review the photos you send in. (ask me how I know :( )

Spoke with Hagarty this morning - according to the lady I spoke with, 1982 and older is what they will insure for firetrucks. I'm quickly running out of options but probably need to take the "RV" slant with US insurers with the hope they will provide coverage in both the US and Canada.

BC WON'T insure the vehicle of a non-BC resident if the vehicle isn't in the province. As soon as the vehicle is within their provincial border, they WILL insure the vehicle of a non-BC resident! If I can't get insurance to cover me driving it across the continent ($$$) then I will have to resort to truck/train transport ($$$$!) to get it to BC.

- Sheik

Joe917

Explorer
If BC is anything like Ontario you cannot get a temporary plate for an RV so you will gave to get it trucked anyway.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I vote you just go rogue. 3 cases of RedBull, flip on those big blue lights and cannonball across Canada.

Transport Update:

The RORO ship "Galveston Highway" has officially left Europe and is headed towards North America, destination: Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I took a screenshot from the ship tracking website - Lowly's current means of transport is by no means the only boat on the ocean!

Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 5.56.17 PM.jpg

ETA Halifax: November 26th.

- Sheik

Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I just saw a beautiful Peugot passenger van parked at the local Legion hall. They use it to tour a Dutch musical act.

Never seen that kind of van before. Very slick.

Dutch plate. No other license of any kind or temporary tag. Obviously insured as it was brand new. Being driven on Ontario roads.

Somebody is insuring them. Keep digging people.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Well that took no time.

Insurance for vehicles, including campers and RVs, shipped to North America:

https://ivssuk.com/vehicle-shipping-usa-canada/

Scroll down to the highlighted link below the section titled "foreign motor vehicle insurance".

Thanks for the link Pntyrmvr. I called to inquire and they only offer that service to customers who ship with them. They were one of the companies I had quote for my shipping but they didn't get the job.

Looking into it further, the service they (and others) provide would be insurance for an already registered vehicle. My issue is that my truck is not registered and in order to do so, I first have to get it insured.

- Sheik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles