Lowly the Lorry. . .

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I think you are having one grand adventure (yes, sugar coating it), and you haven't even outfitted your truck yet.
It is very interesting to read and I hope your 'real' travels are as exciting, but less dramatic.
O- and can you bring me back a dozen Tim Horton donuts (the worlds best donuts) :drool:

A very productive day. . .

After a midnight arrival into Halifax and a very accommodating AirBNB hostess who picked me up at the airport, I managed a decent night's sleep despite my checked bag not finding its way onto the luggage carousel.

A breakfast of pastries and coffee and I walked into downtown Halifax from my AirBNB to rent a mode of around-town transportation. Doesn't get much cheaper than $25 CND per day from Ideal Bikes!

IMG_1971.jpg

Rode up-town to the Canadian Customs office where, despite looks of incredulity, the officers accepted my papers and issued clearance for Lowly! All I needed was the vehicle's UK registration paperwork, Bill of Sale, Passport, Shipping Arrival Notice and a smidge of my naturally occurring charm. It also probably helped to name drop that I had previously been green-lighted by the head honcho there at Halifax Customs.

IMG_1970.jpg

I then rode across one of the harbor's bridges to the Dartmouth side and north to the vehicle shipping port. I presented my Shipping Arrival Notice (now double stamped by the Customs Office) and my driver's license. I also had to call K-Line, the company who was in charge of the over-seas shipping, to make sure funds had been released (called the "Line Release") so that everyone was content that they had been paid. Another dash of conviviality and Lowly has been given the green light for release to me when I show up tomorrow afternoon.
Sort of weird since my caffeine buzz from earlier that morning was long gone, but I got a sort of anxious/excited/"I can't believe that this actually worked" feeling that washed over me for a second while standing in the AutoPort office.

IMG_1976.jpg

A little farther out on the bike brought me to a small fishing village with a view out to the Atlantic Ocean where I had a celebratory meal of deep fried Haddock fillet and Canada Dry ginger-ale.

IMG_1977.jpg

I went to road's end before turning around and heading back to the city. The Halifax skyline, while a little industrial from the Dartmouth side, was still striking with the sun setting sun behind the town's historic citadel.

IMG_1978.jpg

I arrived back to my accommodations a little bit on the chilly side, but quickly turned the tide with a cup of hot tea and warm fuzzy feelings about everything that was accomplished in the space of a pleasant bike ride.

- Sheik

Last edited:

Sitec

Adventurer
Loving following this, and can feel the excitement where you are now soooo close to getting to drive Lowly! Recently had a similar journey with importing my tractor from the UK. The journey wasn't as smooth tho as dirt was found under my tractor, and some expensive washing ensued!! Good luck for tomorrow!! :)

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Congratulations! seems like everything is working as it's supposed to. Looking forward to hearing of you driving it for the first time.

Halifax Day 2. . .

Spent a wonderful evening with my AirBNB hostess telling stories and eating pizza. Slept in this morning (I am on vacation!) and checked in on my still absent checked luggage - it hasn't been found and if it does, it won't likely be joining me on this trip. Long live life on the road wearing inside-out underwear!

IMG_1980.jpg

Ate a hardy breakfast and rode into downtown through the drizzle to return my trusty steed and ferry across the harbor.

IMG_1989.jpg

mog, this one's for you!

IMG_1987.jpg

Rode the bus out to AutoPort and was informed that Lowly won't start. Supposedly turns over nicely (thank you new batteries) but won't catch and run. Did you check the fuel level in the truck? All this being conducted by radio from my warm, dry chair in reception to the guys out on the lot trying to get this truck out of their hands. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon!

Last edited:
Ta Da!

And just like that, Lowly rumbled into our lives.

IMG_1990.jpg

The fellas at AutoPort determined (with a little prompting from me) that an empty diesel tank was the culprit. I'm guessing the truck never got the fuel I requested when it was transported from the caravan park to the Port of Bristol back in the UK; it had just enough to drive onto the RORO and back out to its parking spot in Halifax. They called in an onsite mechanic who ended up being British (thanks Mike) and knew the ins-n-outs of this sort of vehicle/operation. They apparently got enough cranks out of those new batteries to drive the hydraulic pump, tilt the cab and access the manually operated priming pump. A 1/4 tank of diesel, some priming, a bit of prayer, and Bob's Your Uncle!

After pulling up to the front office, British Mike gave me a quick tutorial on how to operate the tilt-a-cab feature both manually and with power assist, as well as pointing out the cab-down, barely accessible battery terminal and the priming pump procedure.

One signature later and I officially took possession of Lowly the Lorry.

IMG_1993.jpg

First impression: this truck is bigger/higher/stouter than I imagined.
Second impression: the inside of the cab feels like the flight deck of a 747 with all of its toggle switches, knobs and buttons.
Third impression: jeepers, we really just might pull off this crazy scheme of ours!

Spent about 15 minutes getting acquainted with the inside of the truck before rumbling out of the parking lot and onto the roads of North America. A big thanks to EXPO member mog who let me climb into the cab of his MB ex fire tender back in Oregon, pointing out some of the subtle yet critical switches (foot kill switch, foot start switch, parking brake, etc.). Without that quick tutorial I would have been up a creek!

Drove it through the driving rain of a winter Atlantic storm out to the Halifax airport where I now sit using free wifi and wait for my dad to arrive from Palm Springs; lets hope he made his connections!

- Sheik

PS: got a call from the airline a couple minutes before Lowly rolled up informing me that my checked bag finally arrived at Halifax. I get to wear clean underwear tomorrow - hallelujah and amen!

Last edited:

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Great news and congratulations! I was cracking up about AirBnb and the bicycle. Pretty much exactly how we would have done it ;-) Have you worked out the registration and insurance? We are considering importing an ex-firetruck and are also from the USA. Would be interesting to hear if Canada is a way around the 25 year rule (well at least down to 15 years). Oh, and since it would not be registered as a RV, at least at first, do you have (or need) a CDL?

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

thebigblue

Adventurer
Congrats! Nice that the cab has a slight elevated roof - jus as on the extended cab MOGs ;) Will follow your progress closely!

Great news and congratulations! I was cracking up about AirBnb and the bicycle. Pretty much exactly how we would have done it ;-) Have you worked out the registration and insurance? We are considering importing an ex-firetruck and are also from the USA. Would be interesting to hear if Canada is a way around the 25 year rule (well at least down to 15 years). Oh, and since it would not be registered as a RV, at least at first, do you have (or need) a CDL?

Jonturgeon,

Yes, I'm getting a vehicle that is younger than 25 years old, but I can't legally import it into the USA, at least not for another couple of years. Not being a Canadian also complicates matters exponentially.

Do yourself a favor and select a truck that is 25 years old or older. That way you would be able to directly import into the USA and the insurance/registration fiasco that I've had to deal with won't even crop up.

It has been a huge time vacuum educating myself -AND- the insurance companies about the intricacies of my situation. Sort of comical when I had both the Nova Scotian insurance brokers and the Nova Scotian DMV saying I needed to first get the other entity's paperwork completed before I could deal with them.

- Sheik

Insurance/Registration Morass. . .

I'd better get these thoughts down before they go floating off into the nether regions of my mind:

It is difficult to find an insurance broker who will insure a fire truck.
Hagerty Insurance is one option, but as of right now, the fire truck would have to be 1982 or older.
Thinking that your newly acquired fire truck will be insured by your current vehicle insurer for that 30-day newly purchased honeymoon period is likely a faulty assumption.
Right hand drive vehicles (in North America) complicate and likely will increase insurance rates.
For a vehicle to be considered an RV by most North American insurers, it has to have several features from the provider's list, for example: permanent bed, cooking facility, bathroom facility, food storage, etc.
British Columbia's insurance providers' rates are all dictated by a governmental entity - you will likely get the exact same quote from Allstate & Progressive & Broker X
Nova Scotia's insurance providers are independent, much like what we are used to in the USA
British Columbia will only insure & register a non-resident's vehicle if the vehicle is present in BC to inspect and insure.
Nova Scotia will only offer a temporary registration on an insured vehicle.
You can get a per diem temporary registration in Nova Scotia without getting your vehicle inspected for safety/emissions.
Nova Scotia offers a 30 day temporary registration but your vehicle must past the safety/emissions inspection first.
By the letter of the law, you need to obtain a temporary registration from each Canadian province you pass through.
You must show appropriate Customs paperwork in order to obtain registration on your vehicle.

I know I'm missing some more of the intricacies of the whole insurance/registration craziness but hopefully the above bullet points will shed some light on the restrictions you might face if you decide to do what I've done (not recommended!)

- Sheik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94