Thread: Lowly the Lorry. . .

Default BC or Bust!: A Roadtrip Update. . .

Woke up this morning in Thunder Bay, Ontario to 5" of fresh snow and driving winds! Thankfully my checked baggage made it to Halifax or we would be severely underdressed for the sorts of conditions we were to face today.

After fueling up we headed northwest up Hwy 17 toward Manitoba. Going was slow due to gusty winds and limited visibility. Also, Lowly's windshield washer fluid reservoir and/or tubing to the wiper's "snotters" was frozen; no wiper fluid = frozen wipers & dirty windscreen :-(

Refueling the truck was a test of cold-weather survival skills as most diesel fill nozzles I've come across on our trip don't have a latch to keep the flow going, requiring one hand on the trigger at all times. I learned to try and position the truck as a wind break in order to lessen the severity of the wind-chill.

IMG_2024.jpg

We finally clawed our way out of snowy, blowy, stormy Ontario; hello Manitoba!

IMG_2026.jpg

The prairie began to open up and despite a constant headwind, we were able to start making good time again with flat, straight, snow-free highway. The sky was clearing and provided a very nice sunset.

IMG_2029.jpg

As we passed Winnipeg, Manitoba we didn't account for the fuel drain the headwind was imposing on our flat-fronted beast. We figured on plenty of fuel to get us to Brandon, Manitoba but Lowly began to stutter about 7 km shy. We limped another couple of kms to an obvious and well-lit highway crossing before calling CAA (AAA's northern equivalent) to call in a mid-highway refueling. After a splash of diesel Lowly thankfully turned over and dutifully chugged back to life allowing us to make it into Brandon and top off the tank.

We pushed on into the night, successfully crossing Manitoba; hello Saskatchewan!

IMG_2034.jpg

We are holed up at Moosomin, Saskatchewan's Motel 6, easily the finest Motel 6 we've ever encountered. Tomorrow we push on for Alberta and Canada's Rockies!

- Sheik

i'd imagine the fuel use would drop if you drove at 90kmh

it'll be an interesting test to confirm while you are on the road.

also watch out for those smokey's

Default BC or Bust!: A Roadtrip Update. . .

Apologies for the delay in getting out this update; yesterday's long drive turned into a very late drive.

Rolled out of Moosomin, Saskatchewan with every intention of this being one of our easier days with the lure of a hot tub soak in Canmore Alberta at its end. Our plans were put on hold almost immediately as the truck was not providing the power it had just the night before when we stopped for the night. I assumed it was a stiff headwind that was rolling across the Canadian prairie but that soon proved false as the truck continued to lose power.

IMG_2038.jpg

We were able to call ahead to a diesel truck repair shop in Granfell, SK and they told us to limp on in. We had begun treating our diesel with anti-gel additive once the temps had dropped but figured that the low temps of our night in Moosomin might have gelled the fuel filter. The sleuthing began there where we did find a dirty filter but no gel. No replacement was on hand so we soaked the filter and back-flushed it in an effort to clean it until a new replacement could be sourced. A test drive resulted in no difference in performance.

IMG_2045.jpg

The diesel particulate filter (DPF) was then dropped and inspected along with inspection of the air filter and a peak into the turbo to check on its condition. After a truck stop lunch of patty melt and dill pickle soup the shop steam cleaned (hot power washed) the DPF resulting in a sooty, slimy pile of goo on the shop floor. The cleaned DPF was reinstalled and another test drive ensued - success!

A huge thank you to Rod & crew at Wolfe Industries (https://www.facebook.com/wolfeindustriesltd/) in Granfell, Saskatchewan for their friendly, timely and successful help in getting us back on the road. They even gifted us a couple of Wolfe hats!

IMG_2047.JPG

Lowly was once again running like a top with more power than I had experienced up to this point. A DPF steam clean might be in order if your truck is slowly losing power.

We were roughly 4 hours behind schedule at this point but we pressed on with Canmore still remaining our finish line for the day. We made it through Saskatchewan; hello Alberta!

IMG_2064.jpg

A quick weigh on the scale to hopefully satisfy the BC insurance/registration syndicate that Lowly is in fact over 3501 kgs and won't need a safety inspection and we were on our way for a late night/early morning arrival at our lodgings in Canmore.

IMG_2063.jpg

A long day made longer, but thankfully Lowly is still running after that power loss scare. The adventure continues, but this road trip is likely in its last days!

Stay tuned. . .

- Sheik

Good to hear you sorted it out so quickly. The DPF must be a retrofit as no trucks of Lowly's age were fitted with them from new in the UK. Does the DPF have a manufacturer name on it? Eminox? PURItech?
    http://jimthetruck.blogspot.co.uk/
    Mercedes 1823 4x2
    ex brinks cash-in-transit truck

Fantastic trip so far. I too am surprised you have a DPF on Lowly. Your 'N' reg rego plate reflects 1995, and as Nick said, no older trucks have DPF's... Keep trucking. Following with interest and envy!
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

If it is a retrofit DPF, wouldn't you ba able to legally remove it?

theses things always seem to cause issues when they are designed for new engines.

If its retrofitted, i can just imagine more issues.

enjoying the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wyuna View Post
    If it is a retrofit DPF, wouldn't you ba able to legally remove it?

theses things always seem to cause issues when they are designed for new engines.

If its retrofitted, i can just imagine more issues.

enjoying the thread
    I second this suggestion.
    Your mpg might increase after this cleanout.
    Last edited by charlieaarons; 12-08-2017 at 01:46 AM.
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Hi,,
    If it is not a DPF , it could be a spark Arrestor they where fitted to sum fire trucks.

Pete and Kel

I seem to remember Boris Johnson insisting all London firetrucks be changed for new because of the older fleet's emissions. Maybe not all Brigades thought splashing that much cash was a good idea and a retro fit DPF was more sensible?

I know one UK crane hire firm had retrofit filters that just plugged onto the exhaust outlet depending where they were needed to be working, so got swapped between vehicles. Inside part of an art gallery in our case for instance

Selling that DPF in somewhere like the UK may have been quite worthwhile if you had known before!

Cleaning out the fuel tank might be a good idea when you can

Quote Originally Posted by PKDreamers View Post
    Hi,,
    If it is not a DPF , it could be a spark Arrestor they where fitted to sum fire trucks.
    It is definitely a DPF as I've worked with them in the past with a client of mine who was attempting to develop a new device that uses plasma for reducing exhaust emissions. Some of the CAD solid-modeling I did for them is on their webpage:

http://thrivaltechnologies.com

Very interesting to hear that the DPF is likely an add-on! Next time I'm under the truck I'll try and remember to look for a manufacturer's label.

- Sheik

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast