Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Lowly the Lorry. . .

Default US Temporary Import Update

Progress continues:

I forwarded the NHTSA approval letter to the importer I've chosen to work with.
    I then filled out the DOT's HS-7 form, checking Box #7, making clear that I had an exemption due to the NHTSA's approval letter.
    I then filled out the EPA's 3520-1 form, checking Box "Code E", making clear that my truck is older than 21 years of age.
    I then filled out my importer's Commercial Invoice form.
    I then called the US Customs Office to receive a one-time PAPS exemption (allows me to import under a Temporary Import Bond once for free).

With all of this completed and submitted back to my importer, they were able to compile and submit the necessary paperwork for Lowly's TIB. Oh yeah, I also had to pay the importer their pound of flesh too. For those of you wondering, I don't think a TIB into the USA is something you can do without going through a legit/licensed importer - customs apparently won't even consider something like this if it is coming directly from any old Tom, Dick or Harry.

So far, so good. If things don't go pear-shaped at the last minute, the USA might be one Mercedes Emergency Response Vehicle fuller by sometime next week.

Stay tuned,

Sheik

A continuation of my TIB checklist:

I'm paid up to the import broker
    Import broker has notified and submitted proper paperwork to US Customs
    Import broker issued me a completed CBP Form 7501 (Proof of Entry) to get stamped by US Customs
    Import broker issued me a completed CBP Form 3495 (used during export back to Canada to close my TIB) to get signed by US Customs and then present to US Customs upon returning to Canada
    Import broker issued me a completed Commercial Invoice Form

I've arranged for flights up to Vancouver BC, plan to public transport myself back to Lowly's storage facility, drive to the insurance broker to extend my insurance & registration and then head over to the commercial border crossing. If everything goes smoothly Lowly will be rolling across his first patch of USA tarmac tomorrow (Monday) afternoon/evening.

Here is the list of documents I'll be carrying with me to hopefully ensure a successful border crossing:
    Passport
    CBP Form 7501
    CBP Form 3495
    Commercial Invoice Form
    NHTSA TIB Approval Letter
    DOT HS-7 Form, with Box 7 checked
    EPA 3520-1 Form, with with Box Code E checked
    NHTSA TIB Approval Letter Request Form
    Statement of Vehicle Alterations to be Performed
    Signed Proof of Delivery/Reciept from Autoport in Halifax
    Canadian Import Arrival Notice Stamped by Canadian Customs
    Canadian Casual Goods Accounting Document Stamped by Canadian Customs
    Canadian Vehicle Import Form Stamped by Canadian Customs
    Bill of Sale from Auction House to myself
    Original UK Registration

Not all these documents will likely be necessary, but I figure it won't hurt to have them on hand to present proof of ownership and show my best effort at this being a legit attempt to temporarily import.
    The next 24 hours should prove incredibly satisfying, extremely frustrating or some combination thereof.

Stay tuned,

Sheik

Good luck!!
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Default US Temporary Import Update:

Goodbye Canada, hello United States!

IMG_2261.jpg

We are in like Flynn!

- Sheik

Default Fantastic!

That's the pic we've all been waiting for!!!!! Well done. Great effort. Now to introduce Lowly to the family, then let work begin!
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Bloody ripper....Good Onya........
    Now Part 2 begins......

Cheers Fugly.

Back at home for a few days and just now getting a chance to complete a write-up of my experiences getting Lowly across the border into the US.

Temporary import paperwork finalized on a Friday and I immediately reserved my flight up to Vancouver BC for the following Monday. Arrived in Vancouver BC before lunchtime and public transported down to the White Rock area to check in with the insurance office and update them of my intentions and timing for the temporary import into the US. Once that was squared away, I bussed out to the storage facility.

IMG_2257.jpg

After sitting for over a month and a half Lowly was a little sluggish in starting but fired up and I was on my way to the border. I was required to pass through the commercial trucking border crossing at White Rock, which is several miles away from the I-5 (Peace Arch). I followed all of the commercial trucking into a 12 lane staging area where I then sat for 45 minutes waiting for my lane to receive a green light to advance to the Customs kiosk.

IMG_2259.jpg

It was an interesting system as the green lights didn't follow any sort of sequential pattern and more often than not, drivers of other trucks would ignore their red light and proceed forward, cutting in line. No CC cameras were in sight so I eventually followed suit and joined in the scrum. Finally advanced to the kiosk where the bored-to-death Customs officer attempted to wrap his mind around my situation. He eventually instructed me to park and proceed inside to the main desk to complete the paperwork process (which I was expecting). The officer who helped me inside seemed appreciative of my organized paperwork, checked Lowly for a VIN number (thankfully the frame stamp is the same VIN as my missing VIN plate) and sent me on my way; didn't even charge me the $13.20 commercial crossing administrative fee!

Stayed with relatives south of Tacoma that night (ended up being a very long day!) and then blitzed down home to Southern Oregon the following day. Goodbye Washington, hello Oregon!

IMG_2271.jpg

Got Lowly home by dinnertime - US Temporary Import complete!

- Sheik

Managed to get nailed by a good sized piece of rock on my drive south - it impacted the windshield down in the lower right corner behind a sticker - first order of business was to get that repaired before the whole windshield cracked (I can only imagine what a new piece of glass for this truck would set me back!)

IMG_2272.jpg

Yesterday I spent a couple hours investigating all of Lowly's toggle switches, levers, systems, etc. Without a service or user's manual for this truck it was a bit of guess-n-check, but I think I figured out what most of the features are on this truck. Snapped a picture with everything deployed from the steps to the swing out shelves to the awnings to the telescoping light mast - yeah, flood lights galore!

IMG_2274.jpg

The next step of this adventure is to find a suitable location to begin the conversion process and start all the head-scratching of exactly what will be the best design for our family and intended purpose.

Stay tuned.

- Sheik

Quite the adventure getting to this point!
    2015 Jeep Patriot Sport 4wd
    1999 Chevy Astro LT Awd
    1984 Chevy C10 "Farm Truck"
    1991 GMC C1500 Sierra
    2005 Kia Sportage
    2002 Honda Odyssey "The Ody" (Retired from expo duty)
    1985 Honda VF750F Interceptor "Mad Max"

Crikey another thread to follow - cool.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516