Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Lowly the Lorry. . .

Default US Temporary Import Update

After quite a few un-returned phone calls from my not-very-helpful contact at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) I played the "I need to speak with your boss" card and finally greased the skids of this governmental entity. I was able to explain my situation and by deciphering their acronyms, form fill-out requirements and procedural jargon I was able to come up with the following tentative game plan:

Fill out an approval letter application form (http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...RMJuly2016.pdf)
    Email the approval letter application form along with "substantiating information" to the importcertification@dot.gov address.
    Information is then reviewed and processed by the NHTSA.
    If approved, a permission letter is provided to the importer (yours truly).
    A copy of the permission letter must be attached to the HS-7 Declaration form when importing.
    Box 7 must be used on the HS-7 Declaration form.
    Initial approval of temporary import is good for 1 year.
    A request for extension can be made for a total of up to 5 years.
    Extension requests require a written request along with a copy of the initial/prior permission letter 30 days before expiration of temporary import expiration date.

If all of this works out, I just might have my temporary import into the US for enough time to allow modifications to the truck at home while the truck's age finally ticks over the 25 year mark and can then turn around to permanently import.
    I submitted my application form this morning along with an explanatory email and a couple pics of Lowly - fingers crossed it goes thru without a hitch!

Stay Tuned,

sheik

Great to hear.
    I am rooting for you.

Gee, If I had known you could just have checked box 6
    2018-01-17_15h56_06.jpg

I could have helped you out. I have a Nigerian Prince who emails me all the time wanting to transfer funds to the USA. I bet he would have helped.

Reading the latest update, I was then chatting to my wife about your journey with Lowly so far... A UK truck across Canada, and now the problems crossing the border etc... She saw the Canadian plates, and said 'why can't he just drive it across on a 'visit' to the US'? We both pondered it, and then as if to explain it to us Border Security International came on on the TV... It was set around Vancover and a few other places. It soon became apparent as to why you couldn't just 'rock up at the border' and say "hi. I'm from Canada and I'm going for a few weeks look around the US"... They're as strict as customs here in Oz. I had enough fun getting my 150hp 27 yr old tractor in!! Good luck in your challenge, and I'm looking forward to the next stage of the story!! When I get my shed built I'll be in a similar position.
    Where there's smoke there's poke...
    The more the smoke, the more the poke!

1995 Mercedes 1222 4x4.
    1995 Range Rover 3.9 EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by Sitec View Post
    Reading the latest update, I was then chatting to my wife about your journey with Lowly so far... A UK truck across Canada, and now the problems crossing the border etc... She saw the Canadian plates, and said 'why can't he just drive it across on a 'visit' to the US'? We both pondered it, and then as if to explain it to us Border Security International came on on the TV... It was set around Vancover and a few other places. It soon became apparent as to why you couldn't just 'rock up at the border' and say "hi. I'm from Canada and I'm going for a few weeks look around the US"... They're as strict as customs here in Oz. I had enough fun getting my 150hp 27 yr old tractor in!! Good luck in your challenge, and I'm looking forward to the next stage of the story!! When I get my shed built I'll be in a similar position.
    Yeah, add in the complicating factor that I would have a US passport, driving a Canadian registered truck and telling the US border patrol that I, being an American, was coming in for a visit. I'd be kicking over a hornet's nest for sure!

- sheik

So, knowing what you know now would it have been possible to "temporarily" import directly to the USA? Or is the need to go to Canada first?

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415