Lowly the Lorry. . .

Cross-Canada Transport Cost. . .

Just received a quote for truck transport across Canada from Halifax to Vancouver for Lowly. Please take the opportunity to sit down now:

$13,000 + tax

Wowsa!

- Sheik

unkamonkey

Explorer
Not at all a price I would pay. They are just sticking in a knife and twisting it and then they would walk off with payment in hand and a big grin on their faces. If you can get it insured and plates on it, just drive it to where you are going.

Joe917

Explorer
Not at all a price I would pay. They are just sticking in a knife and twisting it and then they would walk off with payment in hand and a big grin on their faces. If you can get it insured and plates on it, just drive it to where you are going.

You cannot get it insured and plated without a safety. You have to be in Province to get the safety, You cannot get a temporary plate for a motorhome in Ontario, I suspect all provinces are the same. You could possibly register it in Nova Scotia where it will arrive.

jlunicat

I hope the truck is spotless

Just an FYI, Andreas from Total Composites was denied entry of a vehicle that he imported from Europe due to the fact that there was some dirt caked in behind one of the bumpers. I believe he had to send it back to Europe for a complete cleaning and then have reshipped.... at his expense. This is a pretty common rule for anything that arrives on the shores of most countries. Border/Immigration people don't like having dirt or plant materials from other parts of the world being distributed on their own home soil due to potential invasive plant species etc.

Not trying to add to your stress, I just read through this thread, otherwise I would have mentioned BEFORE you had your truck loaded.

Just an FYI, Andreas from Total Composites was denied entry of a vehicle that he imported from Europe due to the fact that there was some dirt caked in behind one of the bumpers. I believe he had to send it back to Europe for a complete cleaning and then have reshipped.... at his expense. This is a pretty common rule for anything that arrives on the shores of most countries. Border/Immigration people don't like having dirt or plant materials from other parts of the world being distributed on their own home soil due to potential invasive plant species etc.

Not trying to add to your stress, I just read through this thread, otherwise I would have mentioned BEFORE you had your truck loaded.

Thanks for the heads-up jlunicat. I've been following Andreas' thread and was amazed at his situation. I requested my truck be cleaned before being loaded but doubt it happened. I have confirmed that Halifax does have a steam cleaning station should my truck fail the undercarriage soil inspection, but it will cost me a few days and a sizable cleaning fee. Fingers crossed that the fire department did such a good job maintaining the truck (or that it actually got cleaned in Bristol by the shippers) that it will pass with flying colors.

- Sheik

U-Ship bids for cross-continent transport continue to roll in. Quotes began in the $15k range and now are down below $9k. Still too high for my liking but there is time left to see how low they go!

- Sheik

Galveston Highway on Approach to Halifax. . .

24 - 48 hours and Lowly should be on North American terra firma.

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 10.27.22 PM.jpg

- Sheik

Last edited:
There and gone again. . .

Well, that was quick. Galveston Highway RORO ship was not moving in the port of Halifax from 11:41 am to 3:40 pm today (11-26-17) before heading back out to sea. If everything went as expected, Lowly should now be on Canadian asphalt. For anyone interested, the next port of call for G.H. will be Newark, New Jersey.

I'll be calling in tomorrow morning to the Halifax Customs office to determine Lowly's status and get going with the next phase of this adventure.

Stay tuned. . .

- Sheik

Canadian Confirmed!

Lowly has arrived and is waiting for clearance through Canadian Customs in Halifax. In speaking with the customs office this morning, he passed the "dirty undercarriage" inspection and is free to leave as soon as I show up with the proper mound of paperwork (copied in triplicate!)

I've also spoken with both the port facility where Lowly is being stored and with the shipping company to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I head over to Nova Scotia to take possession. It is crazy how many players are involved in trying to do something like this; I'm glad I have unlimited calling on my phone!

Stay tuned. . .

- Sheik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne