No side windows on Springbars -- problem in warm weather?

jk6661

Observer
Another question for Springbar owners: Do you miss not having the triangle-shaped windows on the sides like the Kodiak VX series has? Springbar told me they only offer side windows on their Colossus model because they weaken the canvas too much on the other models for really windy conditions. Be that as it may, do you find yourselves wishing your Springbars had side windows in warm weather? I don't camp in hurricanes or blizzards, but I do camp in warm weather, and I wish Springbar offered the side windows as an option for people like me. But I've never actually camped in a canvas tent, so maybe I'm making too much of this.

perterra

Adventurer
You might want to find a different tent, you dont sound like its the best choice for you. My next tent will be the Black Pine Turbo 6

jk6661

Observer
I've pretty much narrowed my choice to the Springbar or Kodiak. I'm leaning towards the Kodiak in large part because of those side windows, but I like the Springbar for other reasons (made in America and better stake loops primarily). Hence the question.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Another question for Springbar owners: Do you miss not having the triangle-shaped windows on the sides like the Kodiak VX series has? Springbar told me they only offer side windows on their Colossus model because they weaken the canvas too much on the other models for really windy conditions. Be that as it may, do you find yourselves wishing your Springbars had side windows in warm weather? I don't camp in hurricanes or blizzards, but I do camp in warm weather, and I wish Springbar offered the side windows as an option for people like me. But I've never actually camped in a canvas tent, so maybe I'm making too much of this.

Some of their tents come with windows on all sides, but you can actually have the side/end windows added to any of their tents even if you buy a used one, I have several of their tents in various configurations for summer and fall camping. You can see which tents have which features here http://www.springbar.com/springbarreg-tents.html

QQQ

The spring bar windows provide more than enough ventilation. I have a family camper 7 and have never had an issue.

Small vents on the side are of dubious value you can always zip one of the big windows a little for a little air, why do you need more screens and more zippers?

The spring bar metal stake loops are also vastly superior to the fabric ones on the kodiak.

I bought the Kodiak tent because of the side windows thinking it would make it cooler, but don't think it really did. Thought it would allow more breeze inside, but didn't really help. The screens still block most of the wind. The Kodiak was still worth buying for the side windows though.

Canvas is probably a little hotter than something with screen roof and fly, but nothing that can't be fixed with a tarp or shade. For me the ability to stand inside and weather a storm was important and wasn't a lot of choices out there that can do that. Black Pine was at top of my list, but it only has a door on one side, which killed it for me. At the time I also thought the lower side windows on the Kodiak would cool better, but don't think that it made much difference as I couldn't feel any breeze inside with all windows down and screens up.

jk6661

Observer
I bought the Kodiak tent because of the side windows thinking it would make it cooler, but don't think it really did. Thought it would allow more breeze inside, but didn't really help. The screens still block most of the wind. The Kodiak was still worth buying for the side windows though.

Canvas is probably a little hotter than something with screen roof and fly, but nothing that can't be fixed with a tarp or shade. For me the ability to stand inside and weather a storm was important and wasn't a lot of choices out there that can do that. Black Pine was at top of my list, but it only has a door on one side, which killed it for me. At the time I also thought the lower side windows on the Kodiak would cool better, but don't think that it made much difference as I couldn't feel any breeze inside with all windows down and screens up.

Why was the Kodiak still worth buying for the side windows if they didn't make the tent much cooler? Better visibility?

jk6661

Observer
Some of their tents come with windows on all sides, but you can actually have the side/end windows added to any of their tents even if you buy a used one, I have several of their tents in various configurations for summer and fall camping. You can see which tents have which features here http://www.springbar.com/springbarreg-tents.html

Hmmm... That's not what Springbar told me last week. They flatly said they won't put the side windows on any of their models except the Colossus, even as a special order for more $.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hmmm... That's not what Springbar told me last week. They flatly said they won't put the side windows on any of their models except the Colossus, even as a special order for more $.

They must have changed then, used to be able to have anything repaired or added if the customer paid, I even have a Campsite 3 person that has windows on both ends as well as the back.

Yes, better 360 degree visibility thru the extra side windows and I believe there is only one door on the Spring bar 10x10 vs two on the Kodiak. Was cheaper as well. Even with screens down still managed to catch some condensation on the ceiling during a test run in backyard in May. But no condensation when I went camping......probably because it was shaded on the trip.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yes, better 360 degree visibility thru the extra side windows and I believe there is only one door on the Spring bar 10x10 vs two on the Kodiak. Was cheaper as well. Even with screens down still managed to catch some condensation on the ceiling during a test run in backyard in May. But no condensation when I went camping......probably because it was shaded on the trip.

Never had any issues with condensation even when using our 10x10 Springbar that only has the door and rear window for ventilation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke