Help me spend some $ but not too much...

ElRon

short version - help choosing suspension, tires, and camper for a cheap minimalist on a 2015 dbl cab long bed taco

I have been lurking for a couple years and finally registered so I could look at pictures of all the cool build outs. Part of why it took me so long to register is that I don’t really off road and I am cheap so I don’t always feel included in a lot of the discussions. I do however obsess about truck camping and keep drawing up different configurations.

I have a 2015 long bed taco. About the only thing I have done to it is put a soft topper on the back and a brake controller when I towed a trailer in the 3k lb range. There are about 30k+ on the stock tires.

How I use it; mostly street driving. I live on a dirt road in the northwest which means I put a half a yard of gravel in the back for potholes a few times a year. I also put dirt in there for the garden. I tow a boat. I am a backcountry skier and climber. This means I am on snowy roads 20-40 times a year. I rarely go off road but I am often on bad roads or poorly maintained FS roads and crawling over washouts slowly and carefully. I occasionally take a month long road trip but mostly long weekends or a week tops. I have a couple kids 9, and 11, they are cool with roughing it. Wife isn’t really into the outdoors so it is usually me solo or with a couple kids. I carry a kayak at times.

My truck camping style - dirtbag minimalist. I have camped under the soft topper even in winter and been fairly satisfied. I would rather cook outdoors. I have backpacking stuff so the stove and kitchen and bathroom aren’t something I am looking for in a camper. It is kind of appealing to have something me and the kids could all sleep under but it is often just me and the kids would be fine with me kicking them out under a tent when they are along. I would like to sit up in a camper and it seems kind of cool to stand up but isn’t a requirement. I kinda hate most rv interior asthetics and materials. I need to see out the back for boat ramps.

Things I have considered; my number one would be the taxa firefly but they don’t seem to want to build or sell it. If there was a popup version I would be sold. I like the aesthetics and that it has jacks so I could get it off when I needed the bed of the truck for gravel. Seems built tough and a rack on top would be sturdy. Geoden looked like an interesting idea but so few pix exist and it would make my brown taco look kinda like an ice-cream truck

The bundutec bivak seems kinda cool and not so expensive as to offend me but awkward to crawl in and stealth camp. The riptide version recently posted, and the reason I registered so I could look at the pics, seems cool but am less inclined toward a cabover.

Baja, callen type. Smith built is close to me and I could probably get something close to what I want from them but aesthetics are kinda lame, to me, and I don’t like the heavy shell type that would be awkward to get on and off when I wanted to have someone load gravel in the truck. otherwise these seem really cool. Is there an easy way to get these on and off solo that I am overlooking? The price point of these is appealing.

Habitat; it’s cool. I like the aluminum aesthetic and weight. It’s a lot of money for a tent! and the bug situation seems difficult to manage. I can go a month without a dry day in the NW and I don’t have a garage so the thought of waking up in a few inches of snow and packing that tent and leaving it for a month is not appealing.

All terrain and four wheel camper - awesome but the price. I actually have money but for the time i would use it and my cheapness it is hard to get over. An eagle or bobcat shell with no amenities is a pretty nice option.

Is there a tall shell out there I could sit up under and get on and off solo I am overlooking? I have considered space cap and tuff port but seems expensive, heavy, and not sure I want to be surrounded by that much fiberglass.

Now to the questions. Anything obvious I am overlooking in terms of a camper? at what weight point should I consider helper springs? Should I do something already because of the loads of gravel, am I ok with a callen type camper without considering helper springs? Is a six pac type camper found on craigslist really too heavy for this truck? I see these occasionally and it seems a good cheap option but then I imagine bouncing around to a trailhead and think i might regret it. Curious how something 1000-1300lbs has performed on a taco for people doing the kind of camping, driving i have described. And finally, Tires; with the amount of street, fs roads, snow I described are there any clear winners, especially with the type and weight of campers I am looking at? I still have good tread but the sidewalls are looking battle scarred.

Thanks for any advice and Cheers if you made it through all that rambling.

Ron

Adventurous

Explorer
You'll definitely need something in the rear of your truck to handle 1000-1300 lbs, especially if you are seeing those loads semi-frequently and for longer distances. Have you considered something like Firestone airbags? They would allow you to firm up the rear end when hauling those loads then drop the PSI and soften it up for every day driving. Personally I'd go bags if I were you, I think adding leafs into the pack will make your every day ride stiffer than you want it to be while the loaded ride is softer than you want it to be.

Depending on the weight of the six pack camper you may be able to handle it. Chances are though that if you want to adhere to the payload numbers published by Toyota that will probably put you over, even when dry. Not that the Tacoma can't handle it, just that it might open the door for additional modifications beyond just slapping the camper in there and calling it a day.

Tires, I'd think you would be okay with a less aggressive all terrain, something along the lines of a Cooper Discoverer AT3. Still tough, still provides traction in the elements, but doesn't have the more aggressive tread pattern (and accompanying road noise) of a KO2. I don't have time on the AT3, but all of the reviews I'd read seem to be pretty positive.

Zemiller

Some of it is going to depend on how much work you want to put into it. I've seen well built contractor canopies that would work well work you, but the owners built the interior to suit themselves. The prebuilt options are nice, but add to that initial cost.

On that note, I use a hi-top camper shell myself, built a sleeping platform and use my backpacking gear for the most part. Barely sit up room inside but I'm only in there to sleep or read before bed. I have a Foxwing awning I spend the rest of my time under before crawling in.

If you've got time, watch the classifieds on here and Craigslist, Four Wheel Campers and the like pop up from time to time and would be a good option. I think a shell model would be perfect for my style camping, which sounds similar to your minimalist style.

ElRon

Thanks, I would like to avoid that much weight if possible but curious to know experiences of bouncing those around on a little truck because it's a cheap Craigslist option. Someone also suggested timkin bus type overloads that only engage when weighed down but haven't heard about it on a small truck. Does the tire recommendation stand if I went the contractor canopy route? Are those tires amoung the better snow friendly options?

In some ways the tall topper is a good answer. It is my experience though that people just leave them on when they get them though because it's a drag to get them off again. Anyone put jacks on a topper? Kind of excessive but I would like something I can wrangle myself so I will use my truck bed like I do now. The callen camper type seems nice with the straight walls to sit under but kind of rv looking and amoung the less aerodynamic options. Is there a better looking compromise for those considerations?

Also love to hear or see anything creative people have done to ease getting a heavy topper on and off their truck. Big stands or slings etc.

Thanks for the thoughts.

windtraveler

Observer
Don’t know if you have found anything yet but Bundutec will build you what you want. If you want a Riptide without the cabover, they will do it. If you want a bivac but a little bigger, they will build it. I’ve heard they are about 16 weeks out on their builds right now.

Clutch

<---Pass
Maybe a Leer 122.

http://www.wildernessshots.com/toyota-tacoma-overlander-expedition/

Some great options recently came to market, that should do well in PNW.

OVRLND

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/ovrlnd-camper-topper.193394/

Vagabond Drifter

https://vagabondoutdoors.com/

GFC

https://www.gofastcampers.com/

AT Habitat Summit

https://expeditionportal.com/first-impressions-at-overland-summit-camper/

As for taking the shell on and off, yes I do that but not often. I have two shells for my Tacoma a SnugTop and a Wildernest. I made a pulley system in the rafters of our carport off of our garage to do so. Which also serves as a storage area to keep whatever shell is there out of the elements.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Not at all impressed with my brand new Leer... rear window pops open randomly (one side of the lock sucks), fit and finish not impressive. My gut said go with anothe ARE like on my tacoma, but I didn’t. At lease Leer doesnt respond to my inquiries, so I got that.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not at all impressed with my brand new Leer... rear window pops open randomly (one side of the lock sucks), fit and finish not impressive. My gut said go with anothe ARE like on my tacoma, but I didn’t. At lease Leer doesnt respond to my inquiries, so I got that.

Bummer

I like SnugTop myself, had a broken slider side window...dealer sent it back to the factory for free to get it fixed. Service was outstanding!

Anyways....the Leer 122 was the only "Expo" kitted high-rise picture on a Tacoma no less I could find. Plus had a nice little build blog to go with it. :)

Even has a dude sitting in it, like the OP requested. :D

toyota-tacoma-overlander-sleeping-deck-999x666.jpg

bkg

Explorer
Online reviews (always find them after the fact, right?) indicate that leer will not warranty glass.

Clutch

<---Pass
Online reviews (always find them after the fact, right?) indicate that leer will not warranty glass.

Bummer. It was all for not though. I have an older Extra Vision model, and they changed venders, the new window assembly didn't fit. However I appreciated the effort. Just for that would make me buy another.

Plus SnugTop and Toyota just go together... :D

textarea-cta.jpg

bkg

Explorer
Nearest snug top dealer is 6+ hours away. So it never made my list.

I really like the ARE on my tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nearest snug top dealer is 6+ hours away. So it never made my list.

I really like the ARE on my tacoma.

"ARE" you sure you like it? hardy har har.... :p

When I lived in AZ they were 10 minutes away, even have a picture of said dealer on the SnugTop website. And just realized I have the cab-hi version of that.

But alas it has been hanging in the rafters of the carport off of our garage the last couple years since I have a Wildernest on there now. Have been thinking of upgrading to one of those new Westy style campers because they'll be better in the wet and cold, but not sure I want to loose the room "while open" like I have with the 'Nest. Always some sort of gaaad damn compromise.

79d06ce3-0a89-46a5-95e2-cac4a9f8308f.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz