Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: water heater

thanks all, i will review later. just got back yesterday from 6 month in Alaska, playing catch up. i am still trying to figure this out. thanks again

I have a Suburban IW60 on demand unit. Good packaging from a size/venting standpoint. Not huge, one concentric vent for intake exhaust. Will self fire to keep from freezing.

Downside: It takes a few seconds to get warm water (dependent on plumbing also), means wasting a bit of water each time you want it hot.

Plus side: once its on and running it never runs out of hot.

I want to rig one of these into a circulating system to also use for hydronic space-heating through radiators (water to air heat exchangers).

Is it possible to do so without also using calorifiers (water to water heat exchangers?)

Let's assume not talking potable water standards, just washing. Circulate regular water (not water-glycol mix) through the space heating circuit(s) and the instant HWS controlled manually or by timers and/or thermostats, but when washing up, open the HW tap and voila already hot, and new water is drawn in from the tank.

When space heating not needed, drain and bypass that circuit, use as normal instant HWS.

What say you?

We have a Truma Combi in our Saurer 6dm Swiss overland vehicle; works great. Heat is propane only, but heated water can be either propane or a combination of electric and propane. Looks like in Florida these Euro units are now available. They are, however, a bit big. Ours is located under a dining seat.
    https://www.facebook.com/trumanortha...EpVbQ1gJnXbY7g

Quote Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
    I want to rig one of these into a circulating system to also use for hydronic space-heating through radiators (water to air heat exchangers).

Is it possible to do so without also using calorifiers (water to water heat exchangers?)

Let's assume not talking potable water standards, just washing. Circulate regular water (not water-glycol mix) through the space heating circuit(s) and the instant HWS controlled manually or by timers and/or thermostats, but when washing up, open the HW tap and voila already hot, and new water is drawn in from the tank.

When space heating not needed, drain and bypass that circuit, use as normal instant HWS.

What say you?
    Are you building from scratch or are you trying to Frankenstien an existing system?
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

From scratch, ideally OTS components.

Using engine coolant to heat your hot water is by far the most efficient method. Its waste heat, if you can heat the camper box at the same time, even better.
    You will need:
    Hot water tank, http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...310&id=2357037
    Coolant heater, https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-p.../thermo-top-c/
    A couple of radiators, http://canada.hudsonreed.com/heating...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thermostat: https://www.heatmiser.com/en/slimlin...stat-series-2/ (slimline n works with ttc)

assorted hose, pex, valves etc.
    1993 Mercedes-Benz 917 AF

Look into a helton water heater, I have one and a storage tank, Love it.
    O3 Tundra limited with ATTITUDE,extream outback compressor,Ham radios,Motorola XLT 5000 commerical VHF,UHF, lowband,800mgz radios with 100 watt pa system.Dual battries, ,KC daylighters,rock lights,RCD 6" lift,air chucks front and rear,tow truck jumper cables front and rear.CB radio for trail comm.Paramedic trauma first aid kit,fire supression kit.09 horizon trailer,Warn 9000 winch. Helton heat exchanger,Lowrance chart plotter,David Clark head set for radios. KI6IGN.Baja design 30" light bar.

Thanks so much for those specifics!

Yes, when the propulsion engine or genset are running anyway, I definitely want to take advantage of heat produced for free.

But when stationary free camping for maybe weeks at a time, will directly burn vehicle fuel or propane, that will be by far the main source of heating BTUs.

But also load dumping "free" excess solar electric to a 12V DC heating element once the lead bank is past say 85% no longer accepting many amps. In fact same with production from the DC-only generator when there is excess there.

I have some off-grid forested land I may put a container-based tiny-house on, so that might add a wood-furnace heat source when parked there, but I would not bring that bit along when travelling.

The Australian Kimberley Karavans and Kruisers, as well as other campers down there, use the Webasto ThermoTop for hot water and space heating. I have one in my Kimberley Karavan and it works quite well. Space requirement is quite small and it is very thrifty with diesel fuel - two gallons will easily go a month with everyday use. It does require an external outlet for the exhaust.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast