water heater

rideglobally

Adventurer
What are you using for water heater? We want to install about a 6 gallon water heater on our rig for shower. Just got back from Alaska, we are now preparing our rig for the next journey. We are not taking the trailer for the next journey. thx

here is our FB https://www.facebook.com/nullacruising/

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpg
    IMG_2007.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 94

AZ_Nick

I ended up building an enclosure and mount for a portable tankless unit on the back of my camper. I didn't want to fuss with the exhaust so outside worked best for me. I also put the shower outside but it sends hot water inside for my sink as well. The unit is an Eccotemp L5.
IMG_8449.JPG
IMG_9103.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8452.JPG
    IMG_8452.JPG
    510.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
honestly.... you rarely need to bath in conventional ways. Bath everyday of course...... just not conventionally. Soap with water rinse is ancient technology that we do out of habit now even though there is better methods. Search No-Rinse Body Wash and No-Rinse Shampoo. Uses only ounces of water. Large adult wipes..... or standard baby wipes as a wash cloth you can burn next day to start the fire (along with your toilet paper).

_hein_

Observer
Isotemp water heater using engine heat is very nice for our Sprinter. Water is hot after a 20 minute drive and stays hot for hours. It also has a 750 watt element.
NCV3_underhood_isotemp_final_mtg.jpg

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

rlynch356

Defyota
I ended up building an enclosure and mount for a portable tankless unit on the back of my camper. I didn't want to fuss with the exhaust so outside worked best for me. I also put the shower outside but it sends hot water inside for my sink as well. The unit is an Eccotemp L5.
View attachment 420723
View attachment 420727

Very slick...
I’m using a removable camp chef triton and a shower tent for bathing and it also works great for dishes etc..
I put my double shower hose (14’) on an adjustable garden sprayer which gives us constant on or only when pressed. Works tins better than the supplied shower head

rideglobally

Adventurer
thanks all, i will review later. just got back yesterday from 6 month in Alaska, playing catch up. i am still trying to figure this out. thanks again

java

Expedition Leader
I have a Suburban IW60 on demand unit. Good packaging from a size/venting standpoint. Not huge, one concentric vent for intake exhaust. Will self fire to keep from freezing.

Downside: It takes a few seconds to get warm water (dependent on plumbing also), means wasting a bit of water each time you want it hot.

Plus side: once its on and running it never runs out of hot.

john61ct

Adventurer
I want to rig one of these into a circulating system to also use for hydronic space-heating through radiators (water to air heat exchangers).

Is it possible to do so without also using calorifiers (water to water heat exchangers?)

Let's assume not talking potable water standards, just washing. Circulate regular water (not water-glycol mix) through the space heating circuit(s) and the instant HWS controlled manually or by timers and/or thermostats, but when washing up, open the HW tap and voila already hot, and new water is drawn in from the tank.

When space heating not needed, drain and bypass that circuit, use as normal instant HWS.

What say you?

Joe917

Explorer
I want to rig one of these into a circulating system to also use for hydronic space-heating through radiators (water to air heat exchangers).

Is it possible to do so without also using calorifiers (water to water heat exchangers?)

Let's assume not talking potable water standards, just washing. Circulate regular water (not water-glycol mix) through the space heating circuit(s) and the instant HWS controlled manually or by timers and/or thermostats, but when washing up, open the HW tap and voila already hot, and new water is drawn in from the tank.

When space heating not needed, drain and bypass that circuit, use as normal instant HWS.

What say you?

Are you building from scratch or are you trying to Frankenstien an existing system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles