Alternator

fg4oz

Adventurer
Anyone have alternator issues in the fg649?

Just replaced the batteries but same issue of not restarting. Thinking there may be a loose wire or alternator fault. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Just replaced the batteries but same issue of not restarting. Thinking there may be a loose wire or alternator fault. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, shouldn't need an alternator to start. What are the symptoms? No crank/slow crank/crank but no start/etc?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person

I have two words for you.... clamp meter.
In my opinion it's probably the easiest way to confirm that you are getting charging current to your batteries.
And, as pugslyyy has said, the alternator plays no part whatsoever in starting the truck, but it does keep your batteries charged.

gait

Explorer
yup, clamp meter, for amps, and measure the battery volts with volt meter. The difference in volts between engine and charging is very noticeable.

plus, somewhere near where engine meets gearbox there's a heavy strap from engine to chassis. Its the main earth return for the starter. Its been known to vibrate away to nothing and significantly reduce the effectiveness of the starter motor.

I replaced it when I realised it was broken. The starter still worked, just that the amps probably flowed through smaller wires and didn't like it. Possibly also the alternator return.

unkamonkey

Explorer
To tell the truth both of my Jeeps have amp meters. And to me they tell more about how the system is working than a volt meter would ever tell me.
Some say that they are not safe but in my many years of off roading I have never cooked a Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles