Wooden 6ft Pull Out Drawers - Looking For Ideas/Sellers - 72"L" x 18"w x 12"h

Whaler19

Wooden 6ft Pull Out Drawers - Looking For Ideas/Sellers - 72"L" x 18"w x 12"h

Has anyone seen either wooden boxes that are approx 6ft Long x 18-20"w x 12"h?...or even better a pull out drawer system with those dimensions?

Looking to put 6ft pull out drawers in my Tacoma truck bed.

I don't need them to be waterproof or lockable, as they will be under a bed cap.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
they should be really easy to build. if your issue is just one of skills and tools, any local cabinet maker should be able to handle that with their eyes half closed.

the challenge will be materials versus size. I personally believe Baltic birch plywood is the best material for that, but it typically comes in 5' sheets. if you step down to 5' drawers, that becomes a quick afternoon of cutting and dovetailing. the finishing is a whole Saturday job by itself. where (what city) do you need these drawers?

go to a local woodworking store (not big box) and ask who does side projects.

rayra

Expedition Leader
mine are 54" with no metal slider hardware, working just fine. I think you'll find a lot of useful design ideas and build info in my topic

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/161631-Storage-Drawers-Platform-for-my-GMT800-Suburban-WIP

auxbatt062%20current.jpg
storagebuild063.jpg

For a bigger deeper box as you describe, I'd suggest a sort of trapped side rail design in the box structure. That will lock your drawer in, keep it from tilting / drooping at a far extension, similar to my picture above. Make the drawer box fit inside the platform box, with the drawer sides an inch or more lower than the ceiling of the platform. Then affix rails inside the top corners of the platform box to trap the drawer. Those rails will take most of the leverage / strain of the full and fully opened drawer. Instead of it all being on the fasteners of the top deck of the platform box.

Last edited:

Whaler19

Thank you for the comments/ideas.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a garage/house/tools and live in an apartment. Also, most contractors/skilled tradesmen won't take on small jobs like this. I live in a big city.

Seems like a no brainer for someone to make turn-key bed kits (drawers, cabinets, platforms) for the Tacoma.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Is there a vocational school near you? Might talk to the head of the woodworking shop and see if it would be a project someone in a class would be interested in?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't have any friends with a garage and tools that might be up for helping with a build?

5 seconds on google finds a wood shop in Seattle that you can rent. It's $35/hr or $105 for the day.

https://isgoodwoodworks.com/shop-rental/

Create / design your box, create a detailed cut plan, buy your sheet material on the way to your rental appointment, and you could make all your cuts in under 2hrs. Gluing and screwing could be readily done in the bed / tailgate of your vehicle. Couple inexpensive clamps from harbor Freight, a power drill and a few bits. <$50 in tools.

Hell I'd build it for you, if you'd pay a low rate for my time and could stomach the likely $100+ for ground shipping. Shipping lumber via UPS isn't cheap. Could build it as a flat-pack kit that you glue and screw. Flat pack also keeps it affordable under UPS' volumetric limits / pricing. I did a couple redwood folding bench / picnic table kits for a guy in TX that way, couple years ago.

picnicbench15a.jpg
picnicbench16.jpg
picnicbench36.jpg
picnicbench37.jpg

Could ship it to you care of your apt management office so it isn't sitting outside your door while you are gone.

The year is wrapping up quickly, surely you could find a local woodworker with the free time to build this project for you over the winter.

Whaler19

Thanks again for all the help and comments. I was able to find a few sources on-line that make dovetail boxes in 36" depth x 18w x 10h. I'll be able to put them back to back to create my 6ft box...then add in dividers.

Mccaf

Adventurist
I purchased drawer sliders from Ovis, 2x4 and angle iron from Home Depot, and and assembled in space less Than a double bed.
IMG_2615.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne