2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Kpack

Adventurer
Truck is in the shop today at Mule Expedition Outfitters, where it is getting a rear end rebuild and ARB locker install. I haven't picked up a compressor yet, so I won't be able to use the locker until then. Fingers crossed that this resolves my worsening vibration.

Kpack

Adventurer
Locker is in, along with all new Nitro rear diff bearings. The old ring and pinion were reused because I'm not regearing.....they said the backlash was a bit tight on it but that they set it back to what it was when it came out. Apparently someone had been inside the rear diff previously because they had shimmed something. They refilled the diff with 75w-140 Schaffer oil, which I'm glad they told me because it was 75W-90 with the limited slip. They also replaced the driveshaft carrier bearing with a new one because the old one's rubber was completely destroyed. They ran the air line up to the engine bay, so now I'll I need to do is get a compressor in there and wire it all up.

The vibration is unchanged....still very noticeable at 40-50 mph. Maybe tires? I don't know. They've been balanced 4 times, one of them road-force, and I don't see any obvious signs of abnormal wear.

I'm tired of chasing it down. I'm just going to drive it until whatever is causing the vibration fails. The bummer part is that the truck is not fun to drive with the vibration as pronounced as it is.

Kpack

Adventurer
With everything you've done to chase it down so far, maybe look for a used wheel/tire combo you can swap in to test out.

Yeah, I'll need to keep my eyes open. Not much around me right now, unless I want to pay $750. I just need something to swap, then turn around and sell them. I don't want to spend a lot because there is a chance that they won't sell afterwards.

Yeah, I'll need to keep my eyes open. Not much around me right now, unless I want to pay $750. I just need something to swap, then turn around and sell them. I don't want to spend a lot because there is a chance that they won't sell afterwards.
Got a buddy you can swap wheels with for a drive? If I lived closer to ya I'd work something out with you.

Kpack

Adventurer
Got a buddy you can swap wheels with for a drive? If I lived closer to ya I'd work something out with you.

Can't think of anyone I know around here that has a Tundra/Sequoia/Tacoma. I'm sure there's someone I know that has one of those vehicles, but nothing comes to mind at the moment. I'll do some digging.

Series1Rangie

Adventurer
I once received a free set of tires, nearly new with the little wear nubs still on. Right size. I was stoked. Put them on my new to me Range Rover at the same time as a 2” lift. Horrible road manners above 45 mph. Chased down bushings, crank arms, steering dampener, etc ... most of those things “needed” to be done, but in the end despite rebalancing, I swapped tires and no more issues.

They weren’t really free and I still had to buy new.

I was lucky that I had a friend with a spare set of wheels and tires to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
Um.. i would jack the back of the truck up.. put it on jack stands.. and let it run in drive.. see if you see he rear tires hopping or causing the vibration... i have a bent axle and if i dint know better id be chasing it all over.. the axle shaft is bent on the outside of the bearings i believe, causing a vibration for me... just a thought.... its pretty obvious once you know what to look for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Loubaru

Adventurer
If you're ever up in Bellingham you can borrow my wheels/tires for a few hours. I have jack stands and another vehicle so its not a big deal for me.

Kpack

Adventurer
I once received a free set of tires, nearly new with the little wear nubs still on. Right size. I was stoked. Put them on my new to me Range Rover at the same time as a 2” lift. Horrible road manners above 45 mph. Chased down bushings, crank arms, steering dampener, etc ... most of those things “needed” to be done, but in the end despite rebalancing, I swapped tires and no more issues.

They weren’t really free and I still had to buy new.

I was lucky that I had a friend with a spare set of wheels and tires to try.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same story here.....lots of new parts that I didn't really want to do, but probably needed to be done anyways. One thing I might do is have Costco throw on some new BFG KO2's....I guess they have a pretty good return policy. If they solve the problem, then great. The Duratrac's would then go on Craigslist. If not, then Costco takes the KO2's back and I'm back where I started.

Um.. i would jack the back of the truck up.. put it on jack stands.. and let it run in drive.. see if you see he rear tires hopping or causing the vibration... i have a bent axle and if i dint know better id be chasing it all over.. the axle shaft is bent on the outside of the bearings i believe, causing a vibration for me... just a thought.... its pretty obvious once you know what to look for..
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I had the truck on stands not too long ago and I didn't notice anything shaking, but wasn't looking closely at that. I'll do it again just to be sure.

If you're ever up in Bellingham you can borrow my wheels/tires for a few hours. I have jack stands and another vehicle so its not a big deal for me.
Thanks for the offer. I'm hardly ever on the west side of the mountains, but who knows, maybe I'll get desperate enough to drive over there?

I am in Whatcom County as well, we could have a Gen 1Tundra party... LOL
We seriously should all get together for a 1st Gen Tundra trail run. For whatever reason there are a decent number of us 1st gen guys up here. I'm in Kittitas County on the east side of the mountains, but we could potentially all meet up somewhere. Are you guys going to the Northwest Overland Rally? I'm really hoping to make it but it all depends on when my wife delivers....due any week now.

@Kpack I'd love to hit the NW Overland Rally, but have a schedule conflict. Debating the one up North of me in Canada if I can arrange my schedule. Would be fun to do something this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier