2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Loubaru

Adventurer
Looking good! Please keep us updated on how you like everything. I actually ended up buying the same cell phone holder based on your recommendation, going to replace the magnet one I have now that blocks the vent. How long did it take to do all of the LED bulbs and whiting out the gauge cluster?

Kpack

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the encouragement. More to come on the build soon hopefully.

In the meantime I finally got to take the truck out on a real trail run. A buddy of mine and I went to a place close to Manastash Ridge in central Washington. It's a bit of a drive in, and terrible washboarding on the 10 miles of gravel road, but after that we dropped right into a dedicated jeep trail. My buddy drove his Jeep on 35's, locked front and rear. My Tundra is not locked, on 33's, with the recently upgraded suspension.

First up was a long bridge crossing some marsh land. Immediately I realized that my long wheelbase was going to be an issue. In order to get onto the bridge and navigate the first turn I had to ride my tires up on the edge to get around it. Here's the truck on the straight section. Tires rubbed the guards the whole way.
y4mop6e-m3mW0VjoTbvyOwcV1U9pMkY0PHNN_TI4TEt49UJxhkWG6nu8EBaKPavmiY2axVyaIvYOax_D1vxOEFbhMDTEl-WwAcxyfjnhfl97pHkrPDg-RTEGtMHib8sjaIuYUrNIm8Bh8Sc1pvghmM5ClpDWssdMgElGpRHlwBX8R9amUl_Zw4xNWgNPM1ueKoKDbq2kNrWf8jKQo5wERQj6A

The first half of the trail was pretty straightforward. Everything was uphill, with some rather steep parts, some mild obstacles, and some pretty tight spaces. But overall really not bad, and lots of fun. I switched between 4HI and 4LO depending on what I was doing.
y4miSSFSOC6ajwxxmFvU7rETmz7m_zUji7Tmb-OjhK7LwZd96B2euhWEKRNxmPYjb3-xmpamigtrxnXMMOz4N7JF8Zjn_nhPLjrya6dFqU4S1CYafl0UeYYjGFHLDD-Rq2UcklN9l5Zsy3v_2jNLgTy-KxsuJct9Z0F5ab6KFf2GHDOa1eKAstL-ir_KnxgiSohdphvCiqZedCE2UYJxC-PhQ

We reached the highest point on the trail and that's where things started to get interesting. Some very tight spaces between trees, and a hairpin turn on the edge of a small cliff. I thought this was pretty tight here but it got much worse later.
y4mqWmCAXNObcSVOZ5bPjXcUq4EReoYXV8cjTqY4SBd5zcPSrA_hCk5FKqDZDH0MYRh_WGI9yMg74KtqLUdzd-Tw-BgTC_PVwJBawZtWF9RLUYMv2rAd7uhDPwVmy18Hs5QvXK39oOS5RdnBAXC0xMamsln8EhWN11jDhie7i6SVwWqksQ5wWnGsjGqwnoTEWc00p5mwXuR6T29CJ_CuSVTiA

The trail then dropped down rather steeply. I really wasn't sure if my truck would get by it.
y4mFvsjOMPW0Sg1Q6M9vJb-OKES0So_ky5V2m1xeHAogjjOT2ohzf-rQ-rVcCcBqcYqY_FEg6Qp5en_Bws75o19_pFQaSExqvDcu_hyFpK5lMDLccgMx0ZJ5ryQyetXtBTBdYcw_sYlYq7F7zhiCVQ3VkyCNACJ_Cn9lXMlPdwipsnQDKcvt-LzYFTs2kBjNtPiAPrVR_qbH4VLX2z4bJh7gg

My buddy made it look easy in his Jeep, but even that had to articulate a ton to get down. When I started the drop my driver's rear tire was way in the air....that's the first time I've felt that and it's quite a disconcerting feeling.
y4m9nrcpZOJpVW-KMTxfJdj3e3m7E2DvB8lRFxIbQWmkseO8AC0fDmA-iLXtaMjf8c_N6IE-nLmGnqV1G1fpfOkgH7eiRMSpFzu7BxC4HYTmjZnx_Y1Qi_T0u9rL5UV_wfa-X_htyFlAUYqADww5F0tyDMih4EVIOKgZbshqY_km1dqeOYwEkM2DRJstdV-qOVcFg46xh6vk2Xity5hrP7J_g

I don't have the articulation that other vehicles have, but I'm happy to see that I can stuff my front without rubbing and drop the rear a decent amount.
y4mGcP9vtEBDGn10DI_uAa5oTEH7Nq7nuJfL29mpren96CypxdLAW1tqgq3heC-95jf44gpxvgldM2Pfg7rEFhU5VFApfpVTri1U0qemu9Qtag6N9-BU2nOlEQ2Q6qwuteS4GaD-0AHhwFRUsP3uzuJChb8axhFOPw0XszknksRvMXNnWTrjh76RdHT8qA4MhhLG-51ZdG8a8r7RC8xctTlLA

We stopped taking video and pictures after this and the trail got much more intense. Tree branches were all over the place and there was nowhere to go but straight through them. The trail got much narrower with very sharp turns, requiring several 3 point turns to get around. Many areas were tucked between trees on either side, leaving me with only about an inch on either side to get through. One spot had a large drop and I bumped the frame on it on the way down, though not hard at all. Things got really interesting on the north face of some hills. We had to climb up them, but of course the trail was muddy and slick, and the incline was pretty steep. Add to that there were several spots on the way up that the truck barely fit through. One spot had a fallen tree across it that had been cut, but left sticking out enough to make it tough for Jeeps. It made it very dangerous for my full size truck. I sustained some body damage trying to get around it though not bad. Eventually we had to stack rocks so I could get enough traction and keep my rear from sliding sideways into the stumps. That worked and we got the truck up and through the rest of the trail just fine.

Here's the aftermath
y4mUQs0LH0oVmz3W4F_6-y2qyhqRE1J8XfvYhsXJ4_sf6uPHqOgw-NO_R9yDEitzZop46sQkq6mEV47U6xWvHCbKNlkCWQFK1cG13HCAWTY629YjLkp-2lQHpRLuTUpQg2RVAvUhPK3erGYmzBsARaIZZ9fColx4Mw9Kb4WBu-4K0Wkn_Jtj3tsTbYEErC9-u8QEjMyHYaMgjtilv4y9eck8A

Free paint removal, courtesy of Wenatchee National Forrest! Check out those scratches. And that bedside was just repainted a month ago....oops
y4mmOlCJHAc5b1ewo2KF8VWzX6RoAQCq7_Pvg2gEbDl9Gdkhx9j9_a52aOGK77X90lxs48-2j1aYpgl4B2yJwvgr6ZhMeF0qNzgo7kVaamCS69Xc9or0jCowtmn7sBrPEFMGk4amyADssFwnfx1F5bmCEQMelyFH6NchmdGWoVo7Ed94ftIGVQfWpE6euUxfSRTxdwC2msqiaVGHmbnXPLMzg

My friend's Jeep fared pretty well:
y4mN74amdfvgdWPr53Tht2cF-H2RKw1vmp6egpSdHzNk6wZbX7x2NQNin1lvEOSb5C52wccucjPYvOsFibUTR1fS92jx9xevTRr7HdKmb8uKj9WqcN04qrGnqBkQ2xVU6Jh1k0ylSbzFjW2hakWO3kgZQSS13OjCMRS1xDxzgx3uhGEj7BhNtxtsRoUcRvhqySBmoFNLvmECVugpDKdXoifcA

The Tundra impressed me. I honestly wasn't sure I'd be able to complete the trail...I had no idea what I was getting into until I was neck-deep in it. But it pulled through and did surprisingly well. Also, that was my first time doing 'real' off-roading, so my lack of experience wasn't as bad a handicap as I feared it would be. No major mistakes that I'm aware of. It was a blast!
y4mcpsD6wgkEzxeOwh64cXXlXibZDiowuDJ1kBQOQABoNBDZC2KG6j2xe47DbIjE35p-0J8fFrKHngfNZ1yfLySQNUZ7KAm2FgrMJmSiVaRIf-ICG_zU5qDcbPZTepBf-i9AlnWv1zA7mDd04thU_zf23eyPiZn98PG1pk-Rof8peT1CJaRt_ioTV_4yvqu1a5UhDAFDhpSmCb3SyBsDVp0Qg

-Kevin

Cletus26

Adventurer
Thanks guys for the encouragement. More to come on the build soon hopefully.

In the meantime I finally got to take the truck out on a real trail run. A buddy of mine and I went to a place close to Manastash Ridge in central Washington. It's a bit of a drive in, and terrible washboarding on the 10 miles of gravel road, but after that we dropped right into a dedicated jeep trail. My buddy drove his Jeep on 35's, locked front and rear. My Tundra is not locked, on 33's, with the recently upgraded suspension.

First up was a long bridge crossing some marsh land. Immediately I realized that my long wheelbase was going to be an issue. In order to get onto the bridge and navigate the first turn I had to ride my tires up on the edge to get around it. Here's the truck on the straight section. Tires rubbed the guards the whole way.
y4mop6e-m3mW0VjoTbvyOwcV1U9pMkY0PHNN_TI4TEt49UJxhkWG6nu8EBaKPavmiY2axVyaIvYOax_D1vxOEFbhMDTEl-WwAcxyfjnhfl97pHkrPDg-RTEGtMHib8sjaIuYUrNIm8Bh8Sc1pvghmM5ClpDWssdMgElGpRHlwBX8R9amUl_Zw4xNWgNPM1ueKoKDbq2kNrWf8jKQo5wERQj6A

The first half of the trail was pretty straightforward. Everything was uphill, with some rather steep parts, some mild obstacles, and some pretty tight spaces. But overall really not bad, and lots of fun. I switched between 4HI and 4LO depending on what I was doing.
y4miSSFSOC6ajwxxmFvU7rETmz7m_zUji7Tmb-OjhK7LwZd96B2euhWEKRNxmPYjb3-xmpamigtrxnXMMOz4N7JF8Zjn_nhPLjrya6dFqU4S1CYafl0UeYYjGFHLDD-Rq2UcklN9l5Zsy3v_2jNLgTy-KxsuJct9Z0F5ab6KFf2GHDOa1eKAstL-ir_KnxgiSohdphvCiqZedCE2UYJxC-PhQ

We reached the highest point on the trail and that's where things started to get interesting. Some very tight spaces between trees, and a hairpin turn on the edge of a small cliff. I thought this was pretty tight here but it got much worse later.
y4mqWmCAXNObcSVOZ5bPjXcUq4EReoYXV8cjTqY4SBd5zcPSrA_hCk5FKqDZDH0MYRh_WGI9yMg74KtqLUdzd-Tw-BgTC_PVwJBawZtWF9RLUYMv2rAd7uhDPwVmy18Hs5QvXK39oOS5RdnBAXC0xMamsln8EhWN11jDhie7i6SVwWqksQ5wWnGsjGqwnoTEWc00p5mwXuR6T29CJ_CuSVTiA

The trail then dropped down rather steeply. I really wasn't sure if my truck would get by it.
y4mFvsjOMPW0Sg1Q6M9vJb-OKES0So_ky5V2m1xeHAogjjOT2ohzf-rQ-rVcCcBqcYqY_FEg6Qp5en_Bws75o19_pFQaSExqvDcu_hyFpK5lMDLccgMx0ZJ5ryQyetXtBTBdYcw_sYlYq7F7zhiCVQ3VkyCNACJ_Cn9lXMlPdwipsnQDKcvt-LzYFTs2kBjNtPiAPrVR_qbH4VLX2z4bJh7gg

My buddy made it look easy in his Jeep, but even that had to articulate a ton to get down. When I started the drop my driver's rear tire was way in the air....that's the first time I've felt that and it's quite a disconcerting feeling.
y4m9nrcpZOJpVW-KMTxfJdj3e3m7E2DvB8lRFxIbQWmkseO8AC0fDmA-iLXtaMjf8c_N6IE-nLmGnqV1G1fpfOkgH7eiRMSpFzu7BxC4HYTmjZnx_Y1Qi_T0u9rL5UV_wfa-X_htyFlAUYqADww5F0tyDMih4EVIOKgZbshqY_km1dqeOYwEkM2DRJstdV-qOVcFg46xh6vk2Xity5hrP7J_g

I don't have the articulation that other vehicles have, but I'm happy to see that I can stuff my front without rubbing and drop the rear a decent amount.
y4mGcP9vtEBDGn10DI_uAa5oTEH7Nq7nuJfL29mpren96CypxdLAW1tqgq3heC-95jf44gpxvgldM2Pfg7rEFhU5VFApfpVTri1U0qemu9Qtag6N9-BU2nOlEQ2Q6qwuteS4GaD-0AHhwFRUsP3uzuJChb8axhFOPw0XszknksRvMXNnWTrjh76RdHT8qA4MhhLG-51ZdG8a8r7RC8xctTlLA

We stopped taking video and pictures after this and the trail got much more intense. Tree branches were all over the place and there was nowhere to go but straight through them. The trail got much narrower with very sharp turns, requiring several 3 point turns to get around. Many areas were tucked between trees on either side, leaving me with only about an inch on either side to get through. One spot had a large drop and I bumped the frame on it on the way down, though not hard at all. Things got really interesting on the north face of some hills. We had to climb up them, but of course the trail was muddy and slick, and the incline was pretty steep. Add to that there were several spots on the way up that the truck barely fit through. One spot had a fallen tree across it that had been cut, but left sticking out enough to make it tough for Jeeps. It made it very dangerous for my full size truck. I sustained some body damage trying to get around it though not bad. Eventually we had to stack rocks so I could get enough traction and keep my rear from sliding sideways into the stumps. That worked and we got the truck up and through the rest of the trail just fine.

Here's the aftermath
y4mUQs0LH0oVmz3W4F_6-y2qyhqRE1J8XfvYhsXJ4_sf6uPHqOgw-NO_R9yDEitzZop46sQkq6mEV47U6xWvHCbKNlkCWQFK1cG13HCAWTY629YjLkp-2lQHpRLuTUpQg2RVAvUhPK3erGYmzBsARaIZZ9fColx4Mw9Kb4WBu-4K0Wkn_Jtj3tsTbYEErC9-u8QEjMyHYaMgjtilv4y9eck8A

Free paint removal, courtesy of Wenatchee National Forrest! Check out those scratches. And that bedside was just repainted a month ago....oops
y4mmOlCJHAc5b1ewo2KF8VWzX6RoAQCq7_Pvg2gEbDl9Gdkhx9j9_a52aOGK77X90lxs48-2j1aYpgl4B2yJwvgr6ZhMeF0qNzgo7kVaamCS69Xc9or0jCowtmn7sBrPEFMGk4amyADssFwnfx1F5bmCEQMelyFH6NchmdGWoVo7Ed94ftIGVQfWpE6euUxfSRTxdwC2msqiaVGHmbnXPLMzg

My friend's Jeep fared pretty well:
y4mN74amdfvgdWPr53Tht2cF-H2RKw1vmp6egpSdHzNk6wZbX7x2NQNin1lvEOSb5C52wccucjPYvOsFibUTR1fS92jx9xevTRr7HdKmb8uKj9WqcN04qrGnqBkQ2xVU6Jh1k0ylSbzFjW2hakWO3kgZQSS13OjCMRS1xDxzgx3uhGEj7BhNtxtsRoUcRvhqySBmoFNLvmECVugpDKdXoifcA

The Tundra impressed me. I honestly wasn't sure I'd be able to complete the trail...I had no idea what I was getting into until I was neck-deep in it. But it pulled through and did surprisingly well. Also, that was my first time doing 'real' off-roading, so my lack of experience wasn't as bad a handicap as I feared it would be. No major mistakes that I'm aware of. It was a blast!
y4mcpsD6wgkEzxeOwh64cXXlXibZDiowuDJ1kBQOQABoNBDZC2KG6j2xe47DbIjE35p-0J8fFrKHngfNZ1yfLySQNUZ7KAm2FgrMJmSiVaRIf-ICG_zU5qDcbPZTepBf-i9AlnWv1zA7mDd04thU_zf23eyPiZn98PG1pk-Rof8peT1CJaRt_ioTV_4yvqu1a5UhDAFDhpSmCb3SyBsDVp0Qg

-Kevin

Looks like a great time. Rock sliders are a huge piece of improvement for tight trails. May want to look at those before front bumper.

lhanson

Adventurer
Cletus26 Kevin has a set of Brute Force Fab sliders on the way and a front bumper ;)

Rad! Looks like you found out Tundra can do some pretty extreme trails even though there super big ha. Good job! That battle scar will buff right out. Ever scratch tells a story they say 😂

Cletus26

Adventurer
Cletus26 Kevin has a set of Brute Force Fab sliders on the way and a front bumper ;)

Rad! Looks like you found out Tundra can do some pretty extreme trails even though there super big ha. Good job! That battle scar will buff right out. Ever scratch tells a story they say

Perfect

Kpack

Adventurer
I do have a set of Brute Force sliders coming in....I went with rear kickouts. That would've helped immensely on this trail, but I also wonder if it would've made it impossible to get through some spots. Would the kickouts catch on both sides in some exceptionally tight areas? No idea without trying them I guess.

Loubaru

Adventurer

Wow, that is sketchy.... I'm surprised you got down without damaging the rockers. Did you end up having to go back up the same hill?

On the sliders with kick outs seems better to have something hit the kick out vs. possibly the bed side.

Kpack

Adventurer
Sorry, been a while since I've updated here. Loubaru, no we didn't have to go up the same hill thankfully. Pretty sure I would not have made that. This hill was the point of no return....either turn back or go down and get through whatever was left. As far as I knew there was no other way back once I went down the hill. After this is where the trail got really sketchy, but the truck made it with only minor wounds.

On that note, looked what showed up today:
y4mWrt2GWpgYaxWnwP8N3MVIp4Q_mcFTeiMnWhZHGxVPf6NPmB-PfxLX71VIOlZaFuvhZrMV8Ew4gRV0yv9_StAptTWJqOJXRbK5-ta3GtACdck31mSeRvNuu28TBc-d2sl7J3uj1D3Mx0sw2cKRGQPZeGKpDiAwMrkrH3tLESI7nd4zkcWm7HxQY1iGpPfh9nVexGZg6zAG59RqIUZXOJXyA

Turns out the shipping company had the pallet sitting in Spokane for over a week. Billy called them up and it came from there within 2 days. Off to the powder coater on Monday, then get it all back in a week or two. Lights coming in the meantime from Baja Designs.

-Kevin

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Sorry, been a while since I've updated here. Loubaru, no we didn't have to go up the same hill thankfully. Pretty sure I would not have made that. This hill was the point of no return....either turn back or go down and get through whatever was left. As far as I knew there was no other way back once I went down the hill. After this is where the trail got really sketchy, but the truck made it with only minor wounds.

On that note, looked what showed up today:
y4mWrt2GWpgYaxWnwP8N3MVIp4Q_mcFTeiMnWhZHGxVPf6NPmB-PfxLX71VIOlZaFuvhZrMV8Ew4gRV0yv9_StAptTWJqOJXRbK5-ta3GtACdck31mSeRvNuu28TBc-d2sl7J3uj1D3Mx0sw2cKRGQPZeGKpDiAwMrkrH3tLESI7nd4zkcWm7HxQY1iGpPfh9nVexGZg6zAG59RqIUZXOJXyA

Turns out the shipping company had the pallet sitting in Spokane for over a week. Billy called them up and it came from there within 2 days. Off to the powder coater on Monday, then get it all back in a week or two. Lights coming in the meantime from Baja Designs.

-Kevin

Sweet. Glad we got that shorted out. Can't wait to see the new armor on the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
Question for you guys....the sliders need to have the mounting brackets welded into place on them. Should I wait to powder coat those until everything is assembled and ready to go, or can the separate pieces be powder coated and then welded together? I've never welded anything before so I don't know what can or can't be done. I'll be paying a professional to actually weld and install them.

The bumper bolts right on so I will get that powder coated regardless of sliders.

-Kevin

Loubaru

Adventurer
You are going to have to grind the powder coat away from the weld and the heat will probably discolor the coat at least 3" from the weld. If it were me I'd assembly them as much as possible (weld on the supports) then get them coated. Seems like you are going to need to take 2 trips to the welder no matter what unless you don't want the supports coated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles