2005 Tundra novice build - "The Rez"

Wasatch

Observer
y4mjqgdOMbaUNTZ1ddrIpjSk16aYIR2XgacNa6CuRevIK8EOzZcd2efxMF8QKRq4cpp6WNQNC_M8jX3SEScbH1wPzepbvk3rbI3edEPUmR1BwqAsGths4Ppa1FjBfaUdznfrntiEiq8VAFGSoEpUhtRqG_9LE06VX_tRf-cvCQX2n4vGnfS-4JYo0KqyZOPmtAuQeKo0VNeXBrGJHeZB74CEg

Do you happen to know the part number for those springs? I need to upgrade to 700 lbs as well, but am trying to avoid the $250+ expense from Icon to do so...

Thanks!

Kpack

Adventurer
You are going to have to grind the powder coat away from the weld and the heat will probably discolor the coat at least 3" from the weld. If it were me I'd assembly them as much as possible (weld on the supports) then get them coated. Seems like you are going to need to take 2 trips to the welder no matter what unless you don't want the supports coated.

Makes sense. I need to wait for the welder to get back in town and then I can see about having things mocked up and then welded. After that I'll have to decide if I'm powder coating the sliders or painting them myself. I've heard and read various opinions on this. Seems like a lot of guys are cleaning, sanding, then spraying self-etch primer and spray paint. Since these sliders are meant to take abuse I guess it makes sense to use something easy to touch up like spray paint.

Or make bolt on plates instead of welding

I think I'd prefer to have these welded on, as that's the way Brute Force designed them. Much less work for me that way anyways....let the welder deal with it.

Do you happen to know the part number for those springs? I need to upgrade to 700 lbs as well, but am trying to avoid the $250+ expense from Icon to do so...

I don't know as I didn't install them. I'll check and see if it's printed on the spring. But I'm pretty sure if you tell King that you need a 14" 750lbs spring for a 2.5" coilover, they'll be able to get you what you need.

-Kevin

Kpack

Adventurer
These showed up today! Gathering up the last bits and pieces before the front bumper install.

Baja Designs Squadron Sport, Wide Cornering (Amber)
y4mnsxw17i9UwPB1t1XgVQjce7dBzYeKrEC_SYZrAyzA09oeUJdpd59bEOhcnJmlJpKg2p3D2xAG8_aoBE73OiXFnKy7wNY8UoVZgokNzzgP0MUpLHD0voDCwyClgXdBG9_k2wJLFcjn4SVjInLWxEWdQTYPmd_6WmDRP20RKXlfvwIVJgF5U5GJIkl5FmVERDOK43Y9tY8tteXAO90ODNXCg

These will take the place of my factory fogs. I'm interested to see how the amber helps during actual fog and snow, because we get a lot of both.

-Kevin

BJ'sFJ

BJ's Tundra :)
These showed up today! Gathering up the last bits and pieces before the front bumper install.

Baja Designs Squadron Sport, Wide Cornering (Amber)
y4mnsxw17i9UwPB1t1XgVQjce7dBzYeKrEC_SYZrAyzA09oeUJdpd59bEOhcnJmlJpKg2p3D2xAG8_aoBE73OiXFnKy7wNY8UoVZgokNzzgP0MUpLHD0voDCwyClgXdBG9_k2wJLFcjn4SVjInLWxEWdQTYPmd_6WmDRP20RKXlfvwIVJgF5U5GJIkl5FmVERDOK43Y9tY8tteXAO90ODNXCg

These will take the place of my factory fogs. I'm interested to see how the amber helps during actual fog and snow, because we get a lot of both.

-Kevin

Nice upgrade!

-Bailey

Kpack

Adventurer
Thanks both of you. Can't wait to try these lights out. We've been hit with snow a couple of times already but the weather warmed up a bit. We'll probably get more before Christmas, along with tons of fog.

Yesterday I got this:
9500-sr-number_53ae9f4c-75fb-459f-b5dc-bfe478d7b0c6_2000x.jpg

Actually ordered it a while ago, but never opened the shipping box until last week. That's when I noticed they had sent me the steel cable version by accident. A quick call to Superwinch solved the issue....they emailed a prepaid shipping label and sent the correct one out the same day. I shipped the wrong one back and the correct one arrived within 3 days. Awesome customer service.

With any luck the bumper will be done at the powder coater's today and it will be on by tonight. Hopefully.

-Kevin

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice! Synthetic is the way to go. I have both. Runner has steel and tundra has synthetic and it's way easier to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpack

Adventurer
it's way lighter too. The difference between the two was around 20lbs. Every bit counts when you're hanging it off the front.

Bumper is on the truck, running into a few snags though trying to wrap it up. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow morning. More on that with pictures later.

-Kevin

viperdriver

Observer
I have the exact same winch. I had to relocate the control box because it wouldnt fit in Billy's bumper. Apparently its a superwinch issue because we had to do the same to a buddys 3rd gen Tacoma and Pelfry bumper. But we cleaned it up nice and didnt have to do any cutting.

Kpack

Adventurer
Do you have a diagram or pictures of how you relocated the box? lhanson mounted his on the passenger side of the engine bay. Is that the common consensus? Right now I just have the winch mounted inside the bumper but no wiring to it and no control box. Thankfully Billy's bumper is well-designed and the winch can be fairly easily accessed even though it is already mounted.

Picked up the bumper from the powder coater yesterday. Cost $125, which I though was reasonable. I went with black 20% gloss.
y4mcdGdj0sI9_6oCqxrkdZaHe2-wCr5Y0fdXQYP7ZIbksSjNvhXfliStrAldEhpwjg2c4sG7yXscwFICkxlbpGaEJH_SXYH318ZQORHKCveTkzEmIoSzxzEuBhoAWi8Q3qa41B1U1tCxeMSNlNBNSBaCp4yiHUuBX5by6n6571e4FAf4lBh3AP90GjJ3VtrOHlO-0KM8bu6RaYONc5OLfUWKA

Beginning to take the bumper off. It's pretty straightfoward. There are three clips on top, a row of ~8 clips underneath, 3 screws on either side under the fog lights, and one screw on either side in the wheel well. Disconnect the fog lights and the whole thing slides right off.
y4mm1WOAnkpFwKFH1MQqb96lH99olwP9LxFS9JUTEAZZXvqxXzhAL1oIcE6KmsNUp6VugOdDcyBLZivG5hoE2uxXeWbaxjUUkXVgjMFMi3Ru_KkRqZ3NcBX2zkad0rRufzp_M9DQx7-EY8yF0A3OWnWHIYhPfAU1MePz24F3Eu6LWtPjBd44fwARkvWWaC5ZydHeryFl5ax2riJSslxTGQRsg

Stock bumper off. To install the BruteForce Fab bumper the large bar on the front will need to be completely removed. The studs that hold his bar on is what the new bumper mounts to. Save the flange nuts to use again. Behind the large bar is another small bar that the skid plate screws into. This has to be removed, save the two bolts. Also remove the small bar that goes across below the headlights. Lastly, remove the plastic retention clips on either side under the turn signals.
y4mcj_OPIZbWjG8tzIT-Myq7dnaIGEjsFw6y4FQv-9B50c3PdQBfjyXvW6cvHZ4JfSPA7bChd9X8R1mKl7nfegAv08Ej3MAVYF3vCpxEBiUoyKgk0MUzXeYdcXD9yo8Q_p0_9l37J7fbh4QNvu_2qW0HKr5KxXzWBbsOsTQdwDB_0MVATopFPYNxvJWwTl9scE01HLi9kpzKNVJ9sm753416g

I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel and cleaned up the exposed parts of the frame, then painted with Rustoleum primer. I'll follow up with paint a bit later.

Anyone have any idea what this part is for? It came with the bumper and I had it powdercoated but I have no clue where it goes.
y4mLCWHDSLki6aSfgSftUh5GrZHOoC4P1hgvdLlP29cw_1ir6JjfQlzJMAACX6p68Mfw-zhf9UDxSbq4hN7NJkzTIpgVm1QpL78u4mD93bUZ6OvoqAb_YaeZEzQ9rmcKmtjEPvvFYLrJWGzYNCplV8KPoOmwTyBBhpsUAguYkgzAJLqmafUcaXUJ8EdBv18vxuSKZmTSUFvndZYG69rV1hecg

Bumper on. I had a couple neighbors lift it up while I lined up the studs and got the nuts started. I found out that in order to reuse the original bolt on either side that used to hold the skid plate attachment bar, it is helpful to use a floor jack and carefully lift/drop the bumper until the hole lines up perfectly. Get that bolt in and tight, then tighten up the nuts on the studs.
y4m9qeaKNdYZKiIYnnIi0OPev3WieNVLU-F737NaUbIhOkife1KB6ALlsPcREmzlLpkFzwQ98mZfNkJJonQOY1SL2R0lMpkzdC7YBh74C1KUHFMK6wBSe8T0DIeBUzQX0FMlApW7gg3Cr18gk8K-TcCfe3mNm7oDI13Pt7QWr5oDeN6ricD7fQowlBREokidB3m9skqqsJDAfUNB7MuiSeFJQ

These brackets go on the side. It looks like Billy forgot to include the nuts for the bolts that go on the front two holes, but no big deal. I'll pick up some tomorrow. The other two bolts are included with the bumper. I had to use an impact gun to open the threads on the frame from rust and debris. After that the bolts when right in.
y4mFFF1MZmD6iBmvhx8UWaphIaI9A0VRIkmtusTipZPjKSld69nPFehEKkekCObShRtNh_Pra5ubEtFyxHCCvwwPTdu_rADg9Cz6jaRrihDzyVoNClqAESW5NJp2BExgK5BnnLt8vcEoNjrILuEyQuBSLkUmI1BTHVK3WI0zrZsnSPfJ_r8wm4BE2l4KunrGkx3zkXn8juY-caiuV_PK_6XrQ

Not quite done yet, but here's where I'm at now. Love the additional clearance and the look. BTW, the bumper fit PERFECTLY. It was amazing how well it lined up with everything, including the remaining body panels. This bumper is worth every penby.
y4m_oc3GSB6WRfGEV_Jqha-ljCXDCZ0CYEtJz0KYCXZnIxXxIHXhMm-IccE6jwGhTUiV1-xg6ke34lNMpmXflnK-EJtyRj3n-PdRRoTneEbZdRNQEKCChvWW6QJWcceq-hu8_LZv_CvgXzcWaJ31l9jXdAyO0OPCLhsq0qv0-e777XFbqNsuGmrRZdJqQZma1YIAXO90DwvLUzS1Ny49_cADg

y4maWa2ABpgdEfwvsY3iP8R4q-_N9NATETShirZusKn8v93bjbvTj9TjJEP9lXiUk8UOC4DNuQx4_mcWuA1UyhoCZHn-N527hXpxp3l_C39go0MMBWQu1amp4XAukNJHCgfjwjb6cA2QJutp93aV5DT55QR610iQu-8XwEk1-wKQSi_WjYq7ZDHsduAJ5G8HaUPSrzS3oaQv2kskheSlcX_qw

-Kevin

Cletus26

Adventurer
The mystery piece looks like a solenoid bracket. Not sure if that’s what it is tho. Would be strange too as most winches are different

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Bracket is to drop the power steering cooler down to clear the bumper. Some tundras need it

Kpack

Adventurer
I have the power steering cooler, but for the life of me I can't figure out how or where the bracket is supposed to attach. Right now I have the cooler just hanging, not interfering with anything. Safe behind the bumper.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I ditch the factory cooler so I can't get a photo. But basically bolts in between the original location and the cooler is bolted to bracket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier