2019 LR Discovery SVX

haven

Expedition Leader
Looks like Land Rover plans to offer a Discovery with off-road farkles. The announcement was made at the Frankfurt Auto Show.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-land-rover-discovery-svx-photos-and-info-news

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...overy-svx-a-supercharged-v8-off-road-monster/

Changes include a slightly raised suspension, hydraulic roll control tuned to provide greater articulation, 31 inch tall tires (still on 20 inch rims), and an updated terrain response system. Featured on the show car is a built-in rear winch, which probably won't make it to production.

vasily

Adventurer
You forgot to mention the supercharged V8.

Whoukd have been more awesome with the diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aek50

Adventurer
Lots of great general platitudes straight out of marketing but light on substance. The supercharged V8 is sweet but looks like SVO went digging in the spare parts bin for that. Agree, throw a beefed up diesel. While at it, a locking front diff, some bumpers, sliders and a ruggedized interior worthy of the distinction and I would be excited. Oh, something smaller than 20 inch dubs this one rides on.

I am open to the new vehicle but unless there is more to it, we should expect more from SVO.

umbertob

Adventurer
With those specs, and especially that engine and SV badge, this "handbuilt" Disco is probably gonna end up at $90K, perhaps more. It could make history as the first $100K Disco ever! It's going to take balls to off-road it, that's for sure.

Does anyone really think SVO anything is marketed for off-road? No chance, but you can bet your booty that those things will sell like its nobody's business! None will make it off-road but they will sell for sure to the many peeps that buy RR now for the bling factor.

This is the precursor to the Defender release! Which will also be a beefed up mall crawler as nobody in their right mind will truely off-road a $100k vehicle unless it was built exactly for that purpose; which the Defender will not be!

I'm okay with it though. I'll keep my eyes peeled for old school Landies and Rangies for that off-road fun stuff. Someday I'll make it big and be rolling a RR loaded to the gills just cuz I love them, not cuz I want to wheel it. I've accepted they have no business off-road but they are wonderfully built, sexy as hell, and super comfy......luxury purpose built!

Still dreaming about that three door 110! Someday, Someday!

For that amount of money you could build up a 110 to some really cool specs.

Yeah for sure. Not saying I want an SVO. I think it's a great sales item for peeps who like that. When I roll it to the big time, I'll buy a sweet RR off the showroom floor with all the whistles.

Until then, I'm sticking to my lovely LR3 and dreaming of a 110 three-door. No SVO desires for this guy. Lol

lwg

Let's be clear, the SVO IS NOT the same as SVX. In talking with Land Rover reps (not dealerships) it's clear the SVO is performance oriented and the SVX is off-road oriented. We all need to just accept there will never be another Defender or any other live axle truck coming from Land Rover ever again. The LR4 is quite capable and the new Discovery (LR5 if you will) is going to be as capable if not more. Even with the majority of the off-roading I do the new Disco would hold up just fine with proper tires with sidewalls. It's decently skidded from the factory with virtually nothing to get hung up on underneath. No it will likely never be a Buggy or extreme off-road truck but it is not meant to be that. I've actually driven this truck off-road and think the technology in it is a game changer like it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OH+D

It's interesting, yet disappointing. The SC V8 and 20s are a major let down. Diesel V6 and 18s would be compelling.

Adam

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Can't help but think "lumbering" when I watch it crawling on the rocks - looks out of place to me...that V8 sounds nice though.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
It's quite simply a capable but fragile prissy mom car. There's really no more to it.

Tell me this doesn't summarize its character:
-I-got-this-Officer-Hopps-i-m-in-pursuit-zootopia-39719341-500-333.jpg

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Seems Land Rover and Toyota use the same marketing team - SUV's racing down the trails and "looking cool" while missing the reason for the journey.

Amusing the SVX is back to the 5.0L V8 and center shift stick. Still disadvantaged by 20" wheels that have no place off road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94