iPhone X

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Looks like they just announced the newest iPhones. There is both an 8 and now X.

The X has the OLED and bigger battery. Not sure of the full screen vs a physical home button. Only time will tell.

Not cheap. $1000 starting point. I just want to get the 256gb version to download more maps for out of network backcountry navigation.

The new A11 bionic chip should make map rendering super fast and the new OLED should make them as pretty as maps can be.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/

rkj__

Adventurer
The X is a cool phone.

But, I'll just keep using the antique that work provides me... (I exaggerate a bit, they let me use a Galaxy S5 Neo)

OCD Overland

Explorer
I'm on apple's upgrade plan (which I'm still not sure is a good idea), so I'll switch to the X when it's available. I suspect it will be in tight supply through the first of the year.

To me, the main advantage is that I can get their nicest camera in a reasonably sized phone. I'm using a plus-sized model now and it's like holding a friggin cookie sheet to your ear.

I'm disappointed that they didn't upgrade the camera in the smaller 8 to a dual camera. I guess they're prioritizing battery. Personally, I wish that they'd make their phones just a bit thicker so they don't have to forgo features for battery life. And get rid of the dumb bezel around the camera at the same time. But at Apple, thin is the thing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles