*SOLD*My Custom 98 4x4 Suburban on eBay *SOLD*

TurboChris

Adventurer
Here's the auction ad. I about wrote a novel in the listing.
Low mileage, two owner, heavily modified, big block Suburban For Sale.

Hit me up at digitalgraphics@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-CHEVRO...-88-000-Miles-Blue-SUV-Automatic/162672784369

Here is the text (without the videos / photos) from the eBay listing for posterity sake.

Edit: The first auction failed to meet reserve.....still undecided whether to relist or just list as a classified ad. Price is $10,000 obo Check out the eBay listing for lots of pics/videos!

1998 K2500 Suburban 88,000 Original Miles!!!
7.4 Big Block / 2 Owners / Low Mileage / So Cal Since New

Ok, Where do I start? I've owned this truck for 8 years. It was purchased from the original owner (who lives about 5 miles away from me)

It was something of a show truck. He took it straight from the dealer to the shop for the stereo and lift kit. He installed a really nice (for 1998) stereo system and he installed 9" of lift, etc. He mostly used it to camp out of and take to his mountain cabin with his family, etc.

When I bought it in 2009 it had 68,000 original miles. One of the first things I did was to re-gear it to 4.56's. This restored all the lost low end power from having 37" tires. The second thing I did was to have it custom tuned by Black Bear Performance. What a difference. This truck does NOT lack in power.

See the photo of the oil change sticker that I left in the window and you'll see that I really have only put about 20,000 miles on it in 8 years or 2500 miles per year on average.

After I'd had the truck for a couple years I had the front seats re-upholstered as EVERY Suburban from this era you see has cracked and torn leather in the front seats. If you've looked at Suburbans, you know this is true. As the photos show....the front seats are beautiful and will remain so for years to come. They are a perfect match to the back seats, which are in the same excellent condition.

I upgraded the stereo. Focal K2 system in the front and Focal's in the Rear doors. These are NOT your "run of the mill" stereo speakers. They are high end and VERY expensive. Google Focal and see.
I'm running a Kenwood head unit with remote. Blu Tooth and USB make it a really nice unit. It's also has a detachable face. One of the amps went out so I replaced it with a JL 300/4. It has 12" Orion Subs mounted in a custom made box with the amps mounted on the other side (see photos) and it sounds AMAZING. It's not easy to push big sound in a interior this big, but it does and does it incredibly well. It will go louder than you want and the separation is pretty incredible with the Focal Titanium Tweeters and crossovers. I like the bass to thump and run it at about 20% of what it's capable of. It doesn't matter what kind of music you like or what volume you listen to it with....It's one of the nicest car stereo systems I've ever built.

This has always been my 3rd vehicle. I only use it for 4 wheeling and camping, mostly the Mojave Road / Kit Carson Trail and Four Wheeling down in Baja, where we used to have a beach house. It NEVER overheats and it's even been in 116 degree heat in Phoenix without a problem. It has only been used to pull rental trailers a couple of times ever...other than that, ZERO Towing.

I'm offering it up for sale...as I just don't use it as much anymore. While I drove it daily for the first couple of years and then relegated it to weekend use, I've probably only driven it 4000-5000 miles in the last 3 years as my camping buddy (my brother) moved to Texas so camping has been few and far between since and we sold the house in Baja so it's only driven occasionally to work now.

Bid with confidence. I'm a car guy, an old hot rodder, I live and breath cars, motorcycles and performance. I just did a rough estimate and come up with about $17,000 in Modifications / Upgrades. NOT including the cost / value of the vehicle.

Check my history and you will see I've sold everything on eBay from a Rolex and Panerai watch, to my Turbo Porsche, my 66 Mustang GT350 Shelby Clone, my ZRX 1200 and 74 H2 750, my 06 BMW M5 to the 1988 BMW M5 that I restored and sold here for $24,500. My history speaks for itself. I fall for something, buy it.....restore / make it perfect for me......keep it until I find something else I want/need.

The Good

This is a great running truck. I'd drive it across country in a heart beat. Great as a weekend toy or a daily driver. All the normal wear and tear items have been replaced or upgraded and as far as the drivetrain it's a 10 out of 10. This truck has NEVER let me down or left me stranded.

The tires were installed about 2 years ago which is about 1000 miles or less. I have a tire gauge and the tread is so deep I couldn't even measure it with the gauge. See the photo, they still look like new.

My last 3 trucks I've installed a winch on. One thing I've learned is you can never have too much winch. On my old 89 Bronco I had a 8000lb winch that I stalled on many occasions, so on my last truck (01 F250 Crew Cab Diesel) I installed a 12,000 lb Warn, but I stalled it on several occasions. I swore I'd never get a smaller winch again. So while having this Custom bumper built, I purchased a Recon 17,500lb winch and had them build the bumper around it.

That said, this winch has never been used. I've played with it in my driveway a couple of times, but have never got it in a spot where I've needed it since I had it installed about 4 years ago.

The Bad

Well, nothing is bad on it......but in the spirit of total disclosure I will mention these items.

There are minor chips and small scratches. Nothing every other 19 year old truck doesn't have. I'd even say the paints in better shape than most. There are a couple spots on the hood, each about the size of a baseball where the clear coat was peeling off. I wet sanded them and shot a new coat of clear on them. Doing this stops it from getting worse. But as the hood is about 5' tall, even I, at 6'3", don't even notice them.

The wheels are Centerlines. GREAT wheels but I decided black would look better so I "plast-diped" them. They look great, I'm really happy with how they turned out.

The all steel, custom front bumper is powder coated, but after about 5 years It had a few spots where it was peeling. I got several cans of Rust-Oleum 248914 Truck Bed Coating and re-sprayed it. It looks great and the reviews on it are really good. So far it's held up really well. I thought it would be a temp fix but now I think it's good to go indefinitely. Same with the grill, rear bumper and the roof rack. They were looking dull so I re-sprayed that and they turned out terrific.

NOTHING else on the truck has been painted, covered up or corrected. I see a lot of trucks on ebay where they have Armor-All'd the entire engine compartment and rattle can'd the underside of the truck with black paint to try to make it look "new", all it makes me think is what are they hiding?

I hate that. I purposely left everything as it is. It's a original 2 owner, So Cal Truck. I've included a video showing the underside...you'll see some minor surface corrosion that is normal for a truck that lives in a desert climate (So Cal) but it clearly shows ZERO rust or body cancer that is so common on trucks from the Midwest or back East.

It easily passes the CA smog testing / inspection, which is the most stringent in the nation.

Partial List of Modifications

Black Bear Performance Custom LIVE Tuning. They are one of the BEST tuners in the country. When they flew out to Sacramento, CA to do a preplanned group of trucks, I drove 400 miles each way to have him do it. Worth EVERY penny. http://www.blackbearperformance.com/
This made a huge increase in performance with NO sacrifice in MPG. VERY Impressive!

6" RCD Lift Kit

3"******** Cepek Body Lift

Bilstein Shocks

Centerline Wheels

37" BFG Baja TA's

Full Size Unused 37" BFG Baja TA Spare Tire that can mount up on the roof rack.

Re-Geared to 4.56 Front and Rear

Custom Ordered N-Fab Cab Length Nerf Bars with Steps

Defender Full Size Off Road Roof Rack

******** Cepek Rear Tubular Bumper

Custom Front Bumper with HID lights built in and Never Used 17,500lb Winch with winch "kit". Bumper made by Outdoor Logic in Riverside, CA. Incredible Construction and Quality.

LED Light Bar on Front

LED Lights on Rear

Custom Better than Factory Quality, Reupholstered Leather Front Seats

5 Sets of Keys / 2 Remotes

Custom Dual Battery Set Up. Isolated, Switched and Wired Up by a Pro Shop.

BIG stereo system, Kenwood with Remote, FOCAL K2 System, speakers in front doors with tweeters, crossovers, etc.

Amps in custom enclosure with two 12" Orion Subs. Best sounding stereo I've ever built.

Clarion Equalizer

CB Radio

White Face Gauges

Trans-Dapt Performance Alloy Differential Cover

K&N Air Intake System (comes with K&N oil and cleaning kit)

Hi-Lift Jack Mounted on Roof Rack (Hi-Lift "Lift Mate" included)

REPLACED IN THE LAST 1000 MILES

ALL A/C components, compressor, drier, condenser, hoses, etc, etc. A/C works BETTER than new! All AC Delco Parts.

L.A. Electrical Custom 250 Amp Alternator / New Serpentine Belt

BFG Tires

One year old Bosch Batteries (one is 2 months old......replaced under warranty)

Oil Change

REPLACED IN THE LAST 5000 MILES

Radiator Replaced / Upgraded

Water Pump

Mass Airflow Meter

In Tank Electric Fuel Pump

Front Brakes / Rotors

Last edited:

TurboChris

Adventurer
Well, It seems for the most part my camping days are over.....at least until I retire. That's in 5ish years and my plan now is to relocate to the Dallas area near my brother. Then it's ON. Prior to this I had a 01 F250 Crew Cab Diesel with about 8" of lift and 38's. While the Suburban is great...I think I'd like to get back into a diesel eventually.

This is shocking news!

What will you camp in?

Needless to say, Your truck looks to be in amazing shape.

goin camping

Explorer
Well, It seems for the most part my camping days are over.....at least until I retire. That's in 5ish years and my plan now is to relocate to the Dallas area near my brother. Then it's ON. Prior to this I had a 01 F250 Crew Cab Diesel with about 8" of lift and 38's. While the Suburban is great...I think I'd like to get back into a diesel eventually.

I've seen pictures and read the trip reports you have posted here and on another forum we both belong too. This rig always struck me as one being built by a guy who planned on keeping it forever and built it to go wherever he wanted reliably.

Somebody is going to get more than they expect with this burb. GLS!

ChevyPit

Observer
This is one awesome Suburban!!! I sold my 98 K2500 last year and have missed it since, bought a 2000 Yukon Xl 2500, but it's not the same feeling.
Just wondering, what mpg do you get with those tires and gearing setup? I know it shouldn't matter but just curious.
I'm in Guatemala, so just asking what would be your best price. My head and heart just started to make funny thinking about buying it and bring it down here. I would have to see if it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles