94' Trooper Lift Debate

Ogopogo

I just purchased a 94' Trooper LS 5-Speed with only 160,000kms(99,000miles). It's in great shape and I bought it off the original owner that was quite meticulous with the service work he had done on it. My question to you guys is that I want to do a minor lift to it mostly because the rear is a bit saggy and sits lower than the front from what it looks like. I mainly use this vehicle for travelling backroads for hunting and fishing. The reason I want to do a lift is obviously to gain a bit of ground clearance and to possibly install a bit of a taller tire. I don't want to install to big of a tire where I start losing power and fuel economy. At the same time I do not want it to lose its nice soft plush ride on backroad washboard doing 30-40 mph. I typically have myself, wife and 3 kids(toddlers) in it with about 100-150lbs of gear. I'm torn between going with OME 912 (1.25" lift) vs OME 919 (2-2.5" lift). I'm not sure if I go with the 919 they may be too stiff and make the vehicle ride like a lumber wagon over washboard. I will also install 4 new OME nitro charged shocks at each corner. Also if I go with the taller lift will this effect the wear on my CV boots by cranking up the torsion bars that much to level vehicle off afterwards? Last week I went hunting and noticed when hitting some small potholes the rear end would bottom out hard, even when going slowly. I looked underneath and noticed I was missing one of the rear bump stops. I went hunting again yesterday and low and behold I found my missing rear bump stop sitting there on the dirt road so I picked it up. The wife thought I was crazy for picking up random parts off the dirt road, then after I explained to her its from our Trooper. lol. Now if I install these taller coils will I need to even bother with finding another bump stop since this one is in quite bad shape(rusted mount/cracked rubber). Might be able to put a bolt in it for now. I can't find replacements for these bump stops anywhere. Also I'm gonna install some locking hubs, was leaning towards the Rugged Ridge Brand. Well any pointers you guys might be able to help me out with would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my long write up.
- Randy

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I think the 919s would be perfect for you. They are designed for +220 lbs of load, sounds about right for your intended use. And they are progressive coils so they ride really nice.

A 2" lift isn't too bad on your CVs. And you can fit up to 33" tires.

For hubs I would get used Aisins, I have wheeled hard with Aisin hubs for over 15 years, never a failure.

Ogopogo

I think the 919s would be perfect for you. They are designed for +220 lbs of load, sounds about right for your intended use. And they are progressive coils so they ride really nice.

A 2" lift isn't too bad on your CVs. And you can fit up to 33" tires.

For hubs I would get used Aisins, I have wheeled hard with Aisin hubs for over 15 years, never a failure.

Thanks BIgSwede for all your knowledge, I will go with the 919 like you have recommended me. If I find it a bit stiff at times I can always just air my 33" down like I do on my 1 ton pickup on dirt roads so I don't snap my neck. Also gives me more lee way when I pack a moose in the back of it without bottoming out too much. lol

egagnon086

I installed some daystar bumpstop on my Amigo recently after the oems fell off on the trail. I had to do some serious modification with a dremel tool to get them to fit but they are great now. The are firm but still compress well when flex is needed.

On my 94 Trooper, I ended up replacing 1 bumpstop with an oem one I got from a Mr. Jerry Lemond in GA. He sources alot of oem parts. He is reachable through the Planetisuzoo forums.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94